West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

beckton

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by beckton »

Up the Junction wrote:Big Sam said in the presser after the game that if we had Lambert up front we'd have won the league by now. He's not happy with his forwards.

For the record, both Maynard and Wee Sam were poor tonight

What an awful thing to for him to say. :thdn:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Hello there! wrote:I`m surprised they bother playing at all considering the terrible bunch of morons they have to play in front of.
And most of them were sat around me. .............Seemingly, they had managed to encircle me :lol: :
Gummi

Post by Gummi »

I've just seen the highlights... Maybe it just wasn't their day - they did create a bucket of nice opportunities, it was the finish that was missing. Watford scored from the only opportunity.... if you can call it that.

If we win Doncaster and Leeds... I'll gladly forget about this.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

beckton wrote:What an awful thing to for him to say. :thdn:
Possibly. We have missed a lot of chances this season. Nolan has been a repeat offender, but Maynard, Cole, Piquionne, Carew, Baldock have all been guilty of this.

Allardyce will know his players and will know what they react to...sometimes players need a bit of a public b***ocking from time to time. When we had 3 players sent off in 3 games, Allardyce said it wasn't good enough, when we play a game at home against poorer opposition and his side miss 4 or 5 excellent chances. he has the right to air his disappointment.

When Romford says it's a poor league and we're struggling in it, he's half right. We're struggling to beat teams, but we really have created enough ecellent chances this season to have already put this season to bed. And with the strikers we have, they should be reliable enough to put those chances away.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

indiehammer wrote:
Nice to hear Nolan having a second good game in succession.
TBH I thought Nolan was poor, very little chasing back - often in the wrong place and not covering well.

I couldn't be bothered to post last night, especially when I read Major's spat with people moaning based on not watching the game.

For me it was lot like West Ham of old, all over Watford first half and a mixture of bad luck, good goalkeeping and poor finishing meant we didn't score. I couldn't believe that some muppets near us booed when the half time whistle went.

The long injury came when we were on top and we lost rhythem. Once they scored Watford went even more defensive and we struggled to break them down, again a mixture of bad luck, good goalkeeping and poor finishing frustrating us.

There was booing near me when Taylor went off, I suspect that was more for Faubert staying on as I think alot of people were like me and felt he had a very poor game. Funnily enough when at right back he stayed wider than when he was meant to be the wide front man. Maybe this was instructions though, as JOB did try to get up as the wide guy. So many times before the subs we didn't use the flanks to get round them, when we did the crosses were normally poor.

So a lost opportunity to put pressure on the teams round us but a sign perhaps that this team is not as good as it could be and, as someone said, I'm sure the BFS view will be look at the chances we had - not how many times Watford won second ball on the edge of both boxes.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

We miss Teddy. I thought Nolan would be similar but not last night. We need someone who is calm around the box, who will make a simple layoff and won't rush their shots.
Carlton should be in double figures by now but he has no penetration. Maynard is settling in but he looks nervous and underconfident. Sam is the best striker technically but is having to chase passes that are too straight and long.
I was glad about Vaz Te's goal as it showed exactly the kind of composure and technique we've been lacking.
It doesn't help that we are so direct - it just piles pressure on the strikers to work miracles every time they get a hoof up to them.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Romford wrote: Lack anyone who can take a player on....
No one tried until Vaz Te came on, and most of the time he stopped and passed back. All I will say is they ended up doubling up on him leaving Linda behind him unmarked to cross.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Turns to Stone wrote: Possibly. We have missed a lot of chances this season. Nolan has been a repeat offender, but Maynard, Cole, Piquionne, Carew, Baldock have all been guilty of this.

Allardyce will know his players and will know what they react to...sometimes players need a bit of a public b***ocking from time to time. When we had 3 players sent off in 3 games, Allardyce said it wasn't good enough, when we play a game at home against poorer opposition and his side miss 4 or 5 excellent chances. he has the right to air his disappointment.

When Romford says it's a poor league and we're struggling in it, he's half right. We're struggling to beat teams, but we really have created enough ecellent chances this season to have already put this season to bed. And with the strikers we have, they should be reliable enough to put those chances away.
:thup: It's been a poor return from our strikers this season. Albeit we've played one up top a lot, Carlton Cole only getting 9 goals so far in this league is a lot less than we should expect from him. He should have 20 by now, easily. Piq was equally disappointing. Might be a bit early to judge Maynard and Baldock.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

Romford wrote:Missed Jack's drive in the centre of the park....

Lack anyone who can take a player on....

Although their keeper played well...we didn't work him hard enough.

Bottom line....we aren't that good and its a very poor league.

Romford that nails it on the head, we are not that good. WHat gets me is we never have been and probably never will be. We have the odd flourish here and there but we will essentially always be mid table / yoyo team at best.

Thats why i dont understand all the stuff like we should be walking this league. I understand we will at the begining of the season (we all get a bit over confident) but dont start believing it.

I blame the icelandics and their overhyped 4 year plan, some of teh idiots at West Ham actually thought it was true!!! at least with Terry you knew where you were!!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

beckton wrote:What an awful thing to for him to say. :thdn:
Or a brilliant thing to get the best out of our strikers who should be determined to ram these words down the manager's throat - as per his intentions.

Our strikers aren't little children.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

I would like us to return to Cole & Baldock at home. They worked well together prior to Baldock's injury and I would give them the opportunity to re-forge their partnership. Can understand Allardyce's post-match Lambert comments maybe borne out of frustration or some kind of reverse psychology but a strange choice.

Is the opinion that Faubert vs. Millwall a couple of weeks back was a flash in the pan or last night a single bad game?

My main wish right now would be for a settled selection and stick with it.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

Or a brilliant thing to get the best out of our strikers who should be determined to ram these words down the manager's throat - as per his intentions.

Our strikers aren't little children.

For once i agree with you Rars!!!

Sam knows how to man manage, it is what he is best at. he has implied they are not pulling their weight a few times and i agree with him.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Everyone knows my feelings on Faubert, but surely now there must be others???
Very poor again (along with some others last night)

I think that's why Sam Baldock gets a good rub of the green in the way of criticism - because he's a little cutey pie.

Nice little lad, harmless, cute little face like a little smurf, which makes it hard for people to objectively criticise him.

They want him to do really well, which I think clouds judgements.

Same with Collison, though there are obviously more extenuating circumstances there.
shammy

Post by shammy »

Carlton should be in double figures by now but he has no penetration.
We he would have been if he was allowed to play every game as our number one striker.
ihateroeder

Post by ihateroeder »

shammy wrote: We he would have been if he was allowed to play every game as our number one striker.
No he wouldnt
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Major wrote:
For once i agree with you Rars!!!

Sam knows how to man manage, it is what he is best at. he has implied they are not pulling their weight a few times and i agree with him.
The thing is, many on here moan about Zola's lack of discipline with the players, and Grant's ambivalence to our issues, yet when our manager has a go at a player, we rush to the defence of the little poppets.

As Maj says, Allardyce knows the players better than we do. Our strikers have been poor from a goal-scoring point of view this year. They're not bad players...they should have score more. Once they're on the pitch, there's nothing Allardyce can do about it, but he can try and motivate them afterwards.

Carlton Cole is looking more and more like the Mr Hyde we should have sold 2 years ago for about £7m.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

very little penetration; no craft; no pace ( apart from sam & maynard who only use it when they are chasing lost causes)

COLE was doubled up by two capable defenders and I'm not sure he won a single header all night - so thats maybe 15-20 times we hand the ball back to them - this circle of ineptness and lack of application goes on, I simply dont understand why players and a management team of their supposed ability we have cant put together a game plan or set of tactics that deals with really ****ing obvious tactics from frankly inferior opposition.

I make that 6 games at home since january - 7 goals scored, 5 of them penalties against sides that are propping up the table - thats not bad luck or bad finishing, its rank poor tactics and team set-up from the get-go.

2 goals from open play, at home, in 540 minutes of football. f*** me Sam , you have GOT to do better than that.
ihateroeder

Post by ihateroeder »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Carlton Cole is looking more and more like the Mr Hyde we should have sold 2 years ago for about £7m.
:thup: