wednesday's news 16th may includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

wednesday's news 16th may includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

No final whistles

MARK NOBLE has revealed there will be no final whistle for West Ham at Wembley.
Boss Sam Allardyce has banned his squad from wearing club suits before Saturday’s Championship play-off final against Blackpool.

The Hammers will wear tracksuits instead of a posh ‘whistle and flute’ in a bid to keep the match — worth £90million and the richest in British football — as low key as possible.

And that suits Eastender Noble, the club’s longest-serving player, absolutely fine.

He said: “When I was 16, West Ham played Crystal Palace in the play-off final. I was taken along with the squad for a bit of experience.

“Alan Pardew was the manager and said get measured up for a suit.

“I was over the moon. It was the first suit I ever owned and had a West Ham badge on it.

“It was blue with a little stripe and I had a claret tie and a light blue shirt. There’s a picture of me on the pitch with Michael Carrick, Don Hutchison and Kevin Horlock.

“I still have it and tried it on about a month ago when I was messing about. It’s actually too big for me.

“That’s how big I wore it then. Looking back, I can’t believe I ever looked in the mirror and thought it looked good on me. It’s got massive shoulder pads and it’s horrible. And we lost.

“We all spoke about it the other day and decided we are going to treat this game like a normal away game and so there’ll be no suits — just our tracksuits to keep it low key.”

Midfielder Noble, 25, added: “West Ham is a completely differently run club nowadays.

“Sam is in charge of everything and what he says goes. And the boys and staff have reacted to that.

“In the last few years, I’ve gone through the Great Escape, relegation, promotions, cup finals — it’s all experience in the bank but it’s been a bit mental.

“Now, you get the feeling things are turning around at Upton Park.”

West Ham have been allocated the away team dressing room at Wembley and it is no surprise they want to keep that awayday feeling even though they are only going across London.

In a stuttering campaign, the Hammers set a club record with 13 away wins while dropping 28 points at home.

Noble missed only one match to underline his importance to the team. But as he enters the final year of his contract he remains hungry for success.

He said: “I think I have played 50 games this season. I remember watching the Championship on TV last season when we were in the Premier League and marvelling at how the players handled games every Saturday and Tuesday.

“But your body learns to cope. Sam is big on his stats and stuff and his figures show we are fitter now than in August. We feel fresh and raring to go.

“The Championship is not the level I want to play at. I was voted in the ‘Team of the Year’ by the other pros and was also named Hammer of the Year, which is great.

“Mentally and physically, I’m a hundred times better than a few years ago and I want to produce the football I have this season in the Premier League and for England.

“I’ve not had any conversations with the club about my contract. Last season, following relegation there were a couple of clubs interested in me but I was told the new manager was adamant he wanted to keep me.

the star

SAM ALLARDYCE TO SUE

SAM ALLARDYCE is suing Steve Kean after the Blackburn boss launched an astonishing verbal attack on him in a Hong Kong bar.

Big Sam was left stunned when secret footage of Kean’s foul-mouthed blast ­appeared on YouTube earlier this week.

The four-minute rant, in which Kean brands the West Ham boss a “f*****g crook”, was filmed by Rovers fans during the club’s pre-season tour of the Far East last summer.

Allardyce, who met his solicitors yesterday, is furious at Kean’s allegations, which cast serious doubts on his integrity and methods as a manager.

It is understood that the former Bolton boss is also considering legal action against Rovers.

Kean took over at Ewood Park in December 2010 when the club’s Indian owners, Venky’s, controversially axed Allardyce.

But the move backfired, with Kean unable to keep Rovers in the Premier League this year following a season of turmoil at the stricken club.

west ham till i die

Catch 22

I am sure every Hammers fan views Saturday's play-off Final with a potent mixture of excitment, nervousness and anticipation. We know that West Ham are the better team and that we should have too much for our opponents. But we also kow that the Seasiders are determined and spirited footballers who have performed well this season to reach the Final. We also know that the best team does not always win a one-off match and there are many factors that can derail a team's ambitions such as over-confidence, poor preparation, player error, bad luck and refereeing decisions. Last but not least, we have learnt over many seasons not to take anything for granted where West Ham are concerned. It is always possible that West Ham will not turn up on the day and Blackpool will take advantage. Anyone who was at the 2004 play-off Final, against Crystal Palace, will know the pain and disappointment of a massive under-perfomance on the big day.

On the positive side, West Ham have really gelled over the last four or five matches, ever since the disasterous 2-4 home defeat to Reading FC. The football played against Cardiff City was outstanding. And, more to the point, we played the right way and never gave Cardiff City a chance to get in to the match over the semi-final ties. I stated that I wanted Cardiff City in the semis because I knew that we could beat them. Others saw them as dangerous opponents after their valiant efforts against Liverpool in the Cup. We now know those fears were misplaced. Most fans seemed to want to avoid Birmingham City in the Final and they got their wish. My view was that they were probably justified in seeing Brum as the more problematic of the two potential opponents.

Blackpool come with their own inherant dangers, not least their great spirit and attacking ability. But they also have mirror weaknesses, not least the fact that they are vumerable at the back and likely to conceed. Indeed, it poses the question how Ian Holloway will approach the match? Will his team throw caution to the wind and go for all out attack, the hope being that they can out score us on the day? Or will they try to play a defensive match, with 5 in midfield and attempt to beat us on the counter-attack? The catch 22 for them is that an open, attacking match will also create lots of space for our forwards to exploit. Brighton adopted that approach and look what happened to them! Alternatively, do they have the personnel and discipline to play a defensive, counter-attacking, game? Results this season indicate that they do not, unless they confound us with hidden qualities on the day.

So what is going to be their approach to the match? Holloway will know that West Ham have the measure of his team, having beaten them convincingly both home and away in the Championship. So, he needs to do something different to try and change the odds, to break the mould. One of the factors identified by Holloway in his newspaper columns is the size and power of the West Ham team. He has stated that in the two league matches West Ham physically dominated his side and, consequently, they were unable to impose their play on the games. What is the answer to that? He cannot make his team physically larger or more imposing, but he can encourage them to adopt a more aggressive approach to the game. They can attempt to play an extra man in midfield in an attempt to seize control of the game or perhaps they will seek to exploit Wembley's wide, open flanks with the pace of Thomas Ince and Matt Phillips. Will they endeavour to 'get at' our full-backs and put Reid and Tomkins under pressure with dangerous low crosses in to the box?

Blackpool could try all of those things, but they are easier said than done. I would be extremely surprised if they came out on top in midfield; while Demel and Taylor or McCartney should have the experience and ability to deal with Ince and Phillips. As for aggression, they can try it but it is a dangerous approach that carries the danger of yellow and red cards. Also, all things being equal, I just cannot see West Ham losing a physical contest with Blackpool. They may get on top for periods, but I do not doubt West Ham's ability to wrest back control. And a crucial difference between the teams is that West Ham are looking defensively solid. Can Blackpool say the same? Look at how Brum pegged them back from 3-0 on aggregate to 3-2. Also we have variation in our play, we can play it on the ground or launch an ariel bombardment, pushing lots of bodies in the box. Birmingham City collapsed in the face of those tactics, would Blackpool hold up any better? I think not.

We are favourites to win the Final for very good reasons. But under-dogs do come out on top, ask Man Utd how many times under-dog Hammers teams have defeated them home and away over the decades. But if we play to our potential, exploit our advantages and impose ourselves we should emerge victorious. If we take them too lightly or let the occasion overwhelm us then, equally, defeat is a possibility. The answer lies in wanting it more than them, performing on the day and winning with efficiency and total ruthlessness. We saw a very clinical/ruthlessly effective West Ham in the semis, now we must replicate that to overcome the final obstacle to a PL return.

West Ham have better quality players, are ihave good team spirit and excellent form, fitness levels are the highest they have been for over two seasons and we hold the psychological advantage over Blackpool. If we cannot win from that position, and with those advantages, then it has to be grudgingly admitted that we do not deserve to go up. It's as straightforward as that.

SJ. Chandos.

london 24

West Ham poll says no go as Olympic Stadium decision is delayed

A poll conducted by a West Ham supporters group has come up with an overwhelming result in favour of staying at Upton Park

In the week where the decision to appoint a tenant at the Olympic Stadium has been postponed for two months, a new poll of West Ham fans has revealed an overwhelming number are against the move from Upton Park.

West Ham are favourites to take over the Stratford site in 2014, but legacy bosses have decided to extend the bidding process after issues arose surrounding naming rights, stadium improvements and governing body approvals.

After the problems of the original decision to allow West Ham to take control were withdrawn following legal problems, the legacy company are desperate to make sure everything runs smoothly this time.

Andrew Altman, chief executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) said: “A number of issues have arisen during the process and we believe it is sensible to give everyone more time so they can be addressed.

“The fundamentals have not changed and it remains our intention to sign construction contracts for converting the stadium at the end of October, with the intention of re-opening in 2014 as previously announced.”

However, while all that is going on, a poll conducted among West Ham fans has concluded that the vast majority do not want to move.

Supporters group WHU’S VIEW polled 2431 supporters asking the question:

Based on all available information, do you agree with West Ham United’s proposed move to the Olympic Stadium?

An 86.6 per cent majority voted no, with just 325 people stating that they would like to move to Stratford.

However, West Ham have stressed that this is just one of a number of polls on the subject and others have delivered different results.

A Hammers spokesman said: “West Ham United is aware of many polls, including this one from a splinter group which is just one of a number of unofficial fan votes that have taken place over the past few months.

“Each has delivered a different verdict, including one recently that suggested more fans are in favour of a move to the Olympic Stadium than not and no doubt many different viewpoints will continue to surface from such surveys over the coming weeks.

“It remains the club’s belief that a poll of any description at this time would not be beneficial as we are unable to share all of the necessary information about our bid with supporters due to the constraints of the process.

“West Ham United remains committed to extensive supporter consultation, including an official poll representative of all supporters, once we are permitted to share our vision for the Stadium.

“We are confident that once our supporters can see the plans the vast majority will be in favour of the move,” concluded the statement.

Some of the comments made on the forms included: ‘West Ham should develop the East Stand at the Boleyn Ground’.

‘Supporters will stop watching West Ham if they move to the Olympic Stadium’ and ‘West Ham will be unable to fill the 60,000 capacity of the Olympic Stadium’.

Not all were negative though with one comment reading: ‘West Ham need to move to the Olympic Stadium in order to compete with the top clubs and maybe play Champions League football’.

The group, who state that they are neutral, but merely want the voices of the supporters to be heard by the club, have sent their findings to the LLDC, the Mayor’s Office, the FA, the Department for Media, Culture and Sport and to West Ham United.

It seems like the debate over West Ham’s future home is likely to keep on running.

Striker Robin van Persie could be forced to see out the remaining year on his contract at Arsenal if he turns down a new deal.

the Sun

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa helped Montpellier to the top of Ligue 1 in France

Van Persie's agent allegedly held discussions with Juventus over a four-year deal worth £6m a season ahead of the striker's contract talks with Arsenal.

Metro

Manchester United, Arsenal and Newcastle are chasing French defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa 22, from Montpellier.
talkSPORT

Barcelona are considering a move to take out-of-contract striker Didier Drogba, 34, on a free transfer from Chelsea.

the Sun

Arsenal, Tottenham and QPR have been put on red alert after Italian legend Alessandro Del Piero, 37, revealed he would love the chance to play in England following his release from Juventus.

talkSPORT

Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill is considering moves for Wolves striker Steven Fletcher and Chelsea defender Ryan Bertrand.

Daily Mail

New England coach Gary Neville urged Roy Hodgson to give a younger generation the chance to offer a fresh approach at Euro 2012.

the Guardian

QPR captain Joey Barton is considering using his personal lawyer Mel Stein when he fights a possible 12-match ban for two charges of violent conduct after his red card at Manchester City.
Daily Mail

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish turned down the idea of giving up managerial duties for a new role at during talks with the club's owners, which sources say did not go well.
Daily Mirror

The Premier League is determined to introduce goalline technology in the middle of next season.
the Guardian

Rostislav Dyakiv celebrated a goal for Lithuanian side Kruoja by taking of his shirt and running onto a nearby building site.

ASTON VILLA have revealed the identikit of their perfect manager to replace Alex McLeish — and it fits Norwich City’s Paul Lambert to a tee.

Chief executive Paul Faulkner insisted: “We want someone who can inspire the players, inspire the fans and can deliver on the pitch.”

LEICESTER have paid Manchester United £2million for defender Ritchie De Laet, 23, and 20-year-old Matty James.

MANCHESTER UNITED keeper David De Gea is in Spain’s squad for the first time. They play two friendlies this month.

babe of the day

http://www.likemyrack.com/VideoCollecti ... icture.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: wednesday's news 16th may includes west ham

Post by ereford ammer »

Cheers CH :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

cheers CH, as always.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Cheers CH! I've now read that we've got both the home and away dressing rooms! I feel sorry for Blackpool, think they are changing outside! But seriously, are we home or away?
RedStar

Post by RedStar »

Thanks, mate. :thup:

@ironstu: The Sun says away, but I think better ranked team gets to be a home one
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

RedStar wrote:Thanks, mate. :thup:

@ironstu: The Sun says away, but I think better ranked team gets to be a home one
No one should ever believe anything they say anyway, which is an incredible but truthful way to view the most read Newspaper in the Country.
jackhammer87

Post by jackhammer87 »

David Gold siad on twitter we are the home team. That was about two days ago.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Cheers as ever CH :thup:
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

jackhammer87 wrote:David Gold siad on twitter we are the home team. That was about two days ago.

Jack see Bobs post re. the Sun above yours. - Apply that to DG also.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:

Nice little read on Mark Noble and great idea from Big Sam
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH.

Sam Allardyce will be the manager of the England team for the upcoming Socceraid charity event at Old Trafford later this month.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

I've a feeling this whole Olympic Stadium move is going to turn nasty.

Thanks CH
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

“We all spoke about it the other day and decided we are going to treat this game like a normal away game and so there’ll be no suits — just our tracksuits to keep it low key.”

That is exactly what I want to hear.
adie

Post by adie »

we are playing in our home kit so maybe that means we are using the away dressing room to make things even, at a guess
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH :thup: I like the fact Sam seems to have complete control over the football side of the club. Like the old day's with John lyall.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Nobes not committing his future to us there, only stating he wants to play in the premier.

Big player for us, let's give him a new contract ffs

and cheers CH
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

cheers CH.

How good is it to have a proper football manager at last?
Trevor Montana

Post by Trevor Montana »

I'm glad we're in the away dressing room :lol:
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

TurnbullHammer wrote:cheers CH.

How good is it to have a proper football manager at last?

i never thought i would accept big sam & he's style of football, but the way we have played the last 6 games or so & the more i hear about the job he is doing behind the scenes & the respect he's got from everyone at the club i think i'm coming round to him.

ta ch :thup:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

kayahammer wrote:Nobes not committing his future to us there, only stating he wants to play in the premier.

Big player for us, let's give him a new contract ffs

and cheers CH
It is not in either parties interests to agree a new deal until they know which league we will be in. Why would he tie himself to the club long term at this point. Equally why would the club offer even his current terms while there is a 50:50 chance of us playing championship football again next season?

This is not like the Green situation so I think we can relax.