West Ham Utd 0-0 Newcastle Utd (04/05/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ricardo

West Ham Utd 0-0 Newcastle Utd (04/05/13)

Post by Ricardo »

West Ham United v Newcastle United
Saturday 4th May 2013
Kick Off: 15:00

Opposition:

Nickname(s) The Magpies, The Toon
Founded 9 December 1892
Ground St James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne
Capacity 52,404)
Owner Mike Ashley
Manager Alan Pardew
2011–12 Premier League, 5th

The club was founded in 1892, by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End, and has played at its current home ground, St James' Park, since. The ground was developed into an all-seater stadium in the mid-1990s and now has a capacity of 52,404.

The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but two years of the competition's history, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893. In 2007, long term chairman and owner Sir John Hall sold his share in the club to Mike Ashley.

They have won four League Championship titles and six FA Cups, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup. Newcastle United has the ninth highest total of major honours won by an English club.[2] The club's most successful period was between 1904 and 1910, when they won an FA Cup and three of their First Division titles. The club is twentieth club in terms of annual revenue, generating €115.3m in 2012.

They have a fierce local rivalry with Sunderland, and the two clubs have engaged in the Tyne–Wear derby since 1898. The club's traditional kit colours are black and white striped shirts, black shorts and black socks. Their traditional crest takes elements of the city coat of arms, which features two seahorses.

Latest Results

Manchester City 2 - 1 West Ham United

Manchester City's first game since surrendering the Premier League title to Manchester United ended with a win over West Ham.

Sergio Aguero slotted in a low Samir Nasri cross to put the hosts ahead.
City failed to take their chances as Carlos Tevez blazed a shot high and Nasri mistimed a shot from eight yards.

Yaya Toure's strike into the top corner sealed City's win, although Andy Carroll's shot squirmed past Joe Hart for a late Hammers consolation goal.

Newcastle Utd 0 - 6 Liverpool

Liverpool barely missed the banned Luis Suarez during an emphatic win against relegation-threatened Newcastle. Daniel Agger's looping header and Jordan Henderson's cool finish in the first half set Liverpool on the way to their biggest victory of the season.

Daniel Sturridge scored twice from close range before Fabio Borini poked in his first league goal for the Reds. Mathieu Debuchy saw red for clattering through Philippe Coutinho and Henderson curled in the subsequent free-kick.

This Season:

Newcastle 0 - 1 West Ham

Kevin Nolan's first-half goal against his former club proved enough to see off a lacklustre Newcastle and propel West Ham into the top six. Nolan ghosted in at the far post to turn in Joey O'Brien's mis-hit shot.

Newcastle were denied an equaliser when the officials ruled that goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen had prevented Demba Ba's header from crossing the line.

Former Magpie Andy Carroll could have given West Ham breathing space but Tim Krul pulled off a fine one-handed save.
The home side's performance was so lacking in precision or passion that a 2-0 scoreline would hardly have flattered the upwardly mobile Hammers.

And the result will bring immense satisfaction to West Ham boss Sam Allardyce, who last week described his sacking by the Magpies after 24 games in 2008 as one of the lowest points in his career.
In their first season back in the Premier League, the Hammers were comfortable victors - despite losing three players to injury - and, in the tireless Nolan, had comfortably the best player on the pitch.

Indeed, Newcastle boss Alan Pardew's pre-match suggestion that he would welcome Nolan and Carroll back to St James' Park looked entirely justified in a blunt attacking display in which striker Papiss Cisse and his half-time replacement Shola Ameobi were particularly ineffective.

Travel:

District Line:
Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 May, no service between Tower Hill and West Ham. Replacement buses operate.

Service A: Tower Hill - Aldgate East - Whitechapel - Stepney Green - Mile End - Bow Road - Bromley-by-Bow - Canning Town

Service B: Stratford - Bow Road - Mile End - Stepney Green - Whitechapel - Aldgate East - Tower Hill

Hammersmith and City Line:
Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 May, no service between Moorgate and Barking. Replacement buses operate.

Service A: Tower Hill - Aldgate - Aldgate East - Whitechapel - Stepney Green - Mile End - Bow Road - Bromley-by-Bow - Canning Town

Previews will appear in the match update
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: West Ham United v Newcastle United: Match Thread

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Bloody good match threads :thup: Whatever happened to Leggy?

Looking forward to this, Newcastle looked a shambles Saturday, same team ethos turns up at ours and it has to be a home win. Can't see that, unless AP has lost the dressing room??

Going for a 2-1 win if Newcastle turn up, 3-0 if they turn up like they did against the Mickeys.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan to score, I'm going in the home end with a Geordie friend who lives down here, we did likewise at the away game but I was in with the Geordies :lol:
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

I think the bin-dippers did us no favours at the weekend, Newcastle will be smarting from that loss and although Pardew sits pretty with 7 years left on his crazy contract, he will be after a win to move them out of the mire.

As someone posted in another thread, will AC turn up for this game? I would hope so, even if it is to show the Toon what they are missing, as they are safe I believe this season with either Villa or Wigwam filling the final slot.

Our home form will prevail, but I can only see a 2-1 home win, else we will draw.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

How on earth is it, a team which finished 5th last term, could find itself relegated this ? .. and that, with all those new Frenchies they have in their team too. Very poor show. Think we will put another huge nail in their coffin on saturday and I can see a goals fest too. 5-0 I reckon.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Got a feeling this might be fun in the sun , 4-1 with an exhibition of quality football.

- we will still be last on MOTD though
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Not looking forward to the long ball. From Newcastle that is, as Pardew is a much more direct manager than Allardyce (whisper it quietly).

Carroll & Nolan on the scoresheet for us?...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Bloody good match threads :thup: Whatever happened to Leggy?
Last time I heard from DL he was enjoying his self imposed exile, I reckon he'll be back for next season if his working life allows.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Interesting that Nolan and Carroll were the two scorers in their last match against us at the Boleyn.

Given the way we've played at home all season we should be good for a win here, but a draw would still be a decent result - they aren't quite as bad as their position suggests. We should be looking for a minimum of four points from our final three fixtures if we want a chance to finish top 10. Six points would be even better though...
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

I had a moment on saturday watching the toon match where I thought...."I was a kid when we beat them 8-1, I think we could easily do it again"

However, despite the vast majority of my friends amongst "the worlds greatest supporters" saying they wouldn't be surprised if we did get that sort of scoreline, I'm terrified! Newcastle are on a slide at the wrong time of the season. The past few weeks they have been utterly utterly dreadful...no team spirit, no morale, no ideas, no inspiration. But they have a point to prove on saturday and are one of the serious contenders for the drop. I think the 6-0 may be a wake up call....Pards will not want us to do the double of them this season either.

That being said, in Big Sam, Nolan and AC, we have three people who will be more desperate than most to beat NUFC.

I'm not going to be on my FB in the lead up to the match giving it the biggun that we're going to smash them but I am confident we'll get the win. My heart says 8-1...I mean 4-0. My head says 2-0.

Just wish I was going to be down there for the game!
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

We should expect a win really, we're good at home, they've won one away game all season. We've been performing and they haven't.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Is this Pardew's first time bringing another team to the Boleyn since he left? :?
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

James P wrote:Is this Pardew's first time bringing another team to the Boleyn since he left? :?
Think so, yeah
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

They go into this game with the worst defensive record in the league (66 conceded so far) - Debuchy is banned and Colocinni and Krul are injured.

I can't see them keeping a clean sheet, and I wouldn't be surprised by a 3-0/4-1 with them having someone like Tiote sent off.

If Allardyce could pick a game to win, I reckon this would be it.

I recall listening to Pardew after the WBA game two weeks ago. To paraphrase, "We did well until West Brom went direct and physical" . Your collection of Frenchies will love the Boleyn in that case, Pards.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Speaking of Pard's return, can't help hoping he gets a good reception. He's a massively flawed individual but that first season back up was the most fun we've had in the past 10 years
ParisTheHammer

Post by ParisTheHammer »

Actually had a dream about this game a few nights ago, we lost 1-3, Newcastle went 0-3 up within 60 minutes and we scored a late concerlation in the 83rd minute. :|
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Aceface wrote:Speaking of Pard's return, can't help hoping he gets a good reception. He's a massively flawed individual but that first season back up was the most fun we've had in the past 10 years
Agree with that and I think he will. Isn't he yet another one who said he had 'unfinished business' with us?

Mind you, the most fun we've had in the last 25 years was under :arry: and look at what he gets.
djclipz
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

ParisTheHammer wrote:Actually had a dream about this game a few nights ago, we lost 1-3, Newcastle went 0-3 up within 60 minutes and we scored a late concerlation in the 83rd minute.
u have some **** dreams!! :D

I hope we carry on piling the misery onto Newcastle! There is no reason why we shouldn't, keep ur heads in the game lads and we can take em apart! 6 pts off of newcastle this season will do very nicely! Although they are at a point that they must fight for some dignity after the weekend they just seem lost to me!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Aceface wrote:He's a massively flawed individual but that first season back up was the most fun we've had in the past 10 years
He certainly enjoyed himself. We're going to tonk this lot.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I just hope the drubbing doesn't prompt them to play out of their skins. Really difficult to predict -- should be a win for us, but if they rally round . . .