Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (12/05/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ricardo

Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (12/05/13)

Post by Ricardo »

Everton v West Ham United
Sunday 12th May 2013
Kick Off 15:00

Nickname The Toffees
Founded 1878 as St Domingo's F.C
Ground Goodison Park,
Capacity: 40,157
Chairman Bill Kenwright
Manager David Moyes
2011–12 Premier League, 7th

The club has competed in the top division for a record 110 seasons and have won the League Championship nine times.

Formed in 1878, Everton were founding members of The Football League in 1888 and won their first league championship two seasons later. Following four league titles and two FA Cup wins, Everton experienced a lull in the immediate post World War Two period until a revival in the 1960s which saw the club win two league championships and an FA Cup.

The mid-1980s represented their most recent period of success, with two League Championship successes, an FA Cup, and the 1985 European Cup Winners' Cup. The club's most recent major trophy was the 1995 FA Cup. The club's supporters are known as Evertonians.

Everton have a rivalry with neighbours Liverpool F.C. and the two sides contest the Merseyside Derby. The club have been based at Goodison Park since 1892.

The club's home colours are royal blue and white. Everton player Dixie Dean scored a record 60 league goals in the 1927–28 season.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/everton/

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?

Away fans are located in one corner of the two tiered, Bullens Road Stand, which is at the side of the pitch, where just over 3,000 away fans can be accommodated. If a small following is expected, then only the lower tier is allocated, which holds 1,700. For larger followings the upper tier is also made available. If you can, try to avoid getting get tickets for the rear sections of both the upper and lower tiers, as the view can be quite poor. For example, in the rear of the lower tier there are a number of supporting pillars that can hinder your view, the seating is of the old wooden type and the gap between rows is tight. The front of the lower tier is a lot better having newer seats and no supporting pillars to contend with. The rear of the upper tier also has problems as Neil Theasby a visiting Hull City supporter informs me; 'Our seats were on the very back Row S and the view was awful! There were two obscuring pillars but worse than that the angle of the roof meant that you couldn't see the video screen and the view of the opposite touchline was also partly obscured'.

The facilities within the stand are basic and it is really showing its age (it was first opened in 1926). However, away fans can generate some noise from this area, making for a great atmosphere. The catering from the small concourse area, includes amongst other things; a Scouse Pie (£2.30), Steak Pie (£2.50), Cheese and Onion Pie (£2.30), plus Sausage Rolls (£2.30). They also offer a huge meat pie for £3, which is the size of a small plate, but I wasn't particularly impressed as it seemed to be more pastry than anything else. Lager is available from the sponsors Chang at £3.60 for a 600ml bottle, plus bitter at £3 for a 500ml bottle and even small bottles of white wine are on offer at £3.70. Please note though that the club stop serving alcohol 15 minutes before kick off and the queues at half time can get pretty horrendous.

I have enjoyed a number of good days out at Goodison. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly, with both sets of fans mixing freely before the game. Neil Thompson a visiting Preston supporter adds; 'The stewards inside the ground were superb and the best I have seen at any ground. They just ran things with a sensible head and communicated with people, first class. There are lot of grounds that can learn from the Everton stewarding'. The Club have automatic turnstiles, meaning that you have to insert your ticket into a bar code reader to gain admittance.

On a poignant note, if you do happen to notice some flowers lying around the perimeter of the pitch, this is because the ashes of a number of supporters (over 800) have been interred around it.

Where To Drink?

About a 15 minute walk away from the visiting supporters entrance, is the Thomas Frost pub on Walton Road. This Wetherspoon outlet, is a fair sized pub, that had a good mixture of home and away supporters, when I last visited. Rob Elmour adds; 'We found the Thomas Frost on Walton Road packed out, so we tried the Bradleys Wine Bar, which is just further down and across the road. It was very good. not a wine bar at all but a proper family run local with a good selection of beers including some real ales. Good mix of fans all very friendly.' More information can be found on the Bradleys Wine Bar website. Peter Bennett suggests the following; 'Pubs on Walton Lane or The Spellow outside Goodison are recommended.'

Tom Hughes adds 'The city centre is usually the best bet for a pre-match drink, There are hundreds of pubs available ranging from designer types to real-ale and saw dust bars. Near Lime Street Station there is the big house (the Vines) next to the Adelphi which is worth a visit. Nearer Goodison 'The Hermitage' (a friendly pub, 5/10 minutes walk up Walton Lane and under the bridge) on Queens Drive is also okay'.

There is a Wetherspoons across the road from Lime Street Station, plus at the station itself, is the Head of Steam, which is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and also has a large screen showing sporting events. Also, the nearby Crown pub also recommended to me. Alcohol is served in the away section of the ground, including beer from the Club's sponsors Chang.

Follow the M62 until you reach the end of the motorway (beware of a 50mph speed camera about a 1/4 of a mile from the end of the motorway). Then follow the A5058 towards Liverpool. After three miles turn left at the traffic lights into Utting Avenue (there is a McDonalds on the corner of this junction). Proceed for one mile and then turn right at the corner of Stanley Park into Priory Road. Goodison is at the end of this road.

If you arrive early (around 1pm) then there is street parking to be found around Walton Lane. Otherwise park over towards Anfield or in Stanley Park itself (the entrance to the car park which costs £8, is in Priory Road). Randy Coldham adds; 'If you approach from the M57 (to join the M57, leave the M62 at Junction 6), and then leave the M57 at Junction 4. Take the A580 towards Liverpool, and on the the right you will reach the Walton Lifestyles Sports Centre (L4 9XP) where you can park for £5. It is then a 15 minute walk to the ground with a very good Chinese Chippy on the way. By parking there you are well away from the traffics jams that you tend to get at Stanley Park after the match and only a five minute drive from the motorway system.

Kirkdale station is the closest to the ground (just under a mile away). However, it may be more advisable to go to Sandhills Station as this has the benefit of a bus service to the ground, which runs for a couple of hours before the game and around 50 minutes after the final whistle. The bus drops you off within easy walking distance of Goodison.

Gary Beaumont adds; 'The best route for away fans from the city centre if they want to use public transport is definitely the Merseyrail Northern Line to Sandhills where they alight and catch the special Soccerbuses; trains can be caught from Liverpool Central. If fans are buying their train tickets in Liverpool, ask for a return to Goodison Park as opposed to Sandhills even though that's where you're getting off. The advantage of doing this is that the train ticket is valid also for the Soccerbus and the additional fare is only £1 return as opposed to £1.50 that you'd have to pay on the bus if you only bought your ticket to Sandhills.

Both Sandhills & Kirkdale stations and can be reached by first getting a train from Liverpool Lime Street to Liverpool Central and then changing there for Kirkdale. Patrick Burke adds; 'Although I would recommend using the Soccerbus to get to the ground, afterwards you may wish to look at alternatives, such as grabbing a taxi into Liverpool, or walking to Kirkdale railway station. This is because the Soccerbus is normally very cramped after the game, plus you may have to wait sometime to get on a bus (up to half an hour if there is a big queue) and it can then take 20 minutes or so for the bus to make its way from the ground'.

On exiting from Kirkdale Station turn right and then cross the railway bridge, you will see a pub opposite called the 'Melrose Abbey', which is a recommended watering hole. Walk up Westminster Road, alongside the pub, for about 400yds and you'll see the Elm Tree pub. Turn left at the pub into Goodall Street and walk up to end of the road, crossing the junction with Carisbrooke Road and into Harlech Street. At the end of Harlech Street you will reach the main County Road (A59). Cross over County Road at the traffic lights and then proceed down Andrew Street. At the top of Andrew Street you can see St Lukes Church sat in the corner of the ground.

The main railway station in Liverpool is Lime Street which is over three miles from the ground and is really too far to walk (although it is mostly downhill on the way back to the station), so either head for Kirkdale station or jump in a taxi (about £7). Otherwise you can catch various buses from the bus station which is seven minutes walk away from Lime Street and is well signposted. Either the 19, 19a, 20, 21 or 311 will drop you right outside the ground at a cost of about a £1. The buses are run by Arriva and the journey takes about 15 to 25 minutes dependant on traffic.

Last League Game

West Ham 0 - 0 Newcastle

Newcastle's Premier League status remains in the balance after they shared a goalless draw with West Ham.
The Hammers put Alan Pardew's side under pressure in the second half but Papiss Cisse came closest to scoring when his first-half shot was cleared off the line by Winston Reid.
Replays were inconclusive but Rob Elliot made a double save to deny Kevin Nolan, while Andy Carroll headed wide.
Newcastle are three points above third-bottom Wigan after they beat West Brom.

Liverpool 0 - 0 Everton

Sylvain Distin had a goal disallowed as Everton were denied a first league win over Liverpool at Anfield since 1999 in a fiercely contested Merseyside derby.

After a frenetic first half low on goalmouth drama, Distin thought he had broken the deadlock when he headed home a Leighton Baines corner, but referee Michael Oliver ruled that Victor Anichebe had impeded goalkeeper Pepe Reina.

Liverpool, who had earlier gone close through Daniel Sturridge, responded to the let-off with a spell of sustained pressure in which captain Steven Gerrard had an effort cleared off the line by 35-year-old defender Distin.

This Season

West Ham 1 - 2 Everton

Everton came from behind to beat West Ham United and move back into fourth place as both sides ended with 10 men at Upton Park.
Carlton Cole gave West Ham an early lead but was then shown a hotly-contested red card for a high challenge on Leighton Baines after the interval.

Victor Anichebe had already headed Everton level after 64 minutes and they cashed in on West Ham's numerical disadvantage when Steven Pienaar scrambled in what proved to be the winner shortly after Cole was sent off.

Tickets

Tickets reached General Sale and SOLD OUT just before 2pm on Wednesday 1 May.

Previews to follow in the match update
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Re: Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by sutts07 »

Two very similar styles of play. Man for man they have the extra quality though.

Can't see a West Ham win but have a funny little feeling we might come back with a point.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

The bogey ground of all bogey grounds! I'll go for a 1-0 loss but a valiant display from our boys. Followed by a 5-0 last day whooping of Reading. Happy days... :crest:
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

West Ham rarely win when there's nothing to play for.
Wet Ham rarely win at Everton.
Under Allardyce West Ham don't try to win away.

Hence I'm not wasting my time & money going to this one.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Stepney wrote:The bogey ground of all bogey grounds!
I would say the one on the other side of the park has that honour for us. Either way, we have an unbelievably poor record on Merseyside.

We have even failed to beat Tranmere away after four times of asking!
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

brownout wrote: Under Allardyce West Ham don't try to win away.
If we were trying to not win away we made a pretty poor fist of it last season with a record amount of away victories.

And if we've tried to not win away this season we've failed at QPR, Stoke and Newcastle. We are cautious away from home- which I think is mostly down to us not yet having the personnel to regularly take the game to established sides on their own patch. That will get addressed in the Summer, budget permitting.
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by 1966 »

I think our players should form a guard of honour for the Toffee Men as they take the pitch as recognition and appreciation for them finishing above Liverpool and putting the reds in their proper place.

Though we must not forget that LFC are the best 6th/7th placed team in the world. :lol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Next season may be our best chance to get a long overdue win there. They have an ageing squad and with no benefactor, or Sugar Daddy to inject funds, their future, in my opinion, does not look very bright. I also think Moyes could well be on his way in the summer too. With strict, financial constraints, for the moment he has taken them as far as he can take them and he may decide it is time to move onto better things. He would have no shotage of offers. With money, they would have been able to kick on from 6th / 8th spot, but without it, with an ageing squad, I think they will be looking at mid table at best, next year. As for this year, with neither side having anything left to play for, I see a lazy, no score, bore draw, snooze in the sun.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I'd be more than happy with a point from this one.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Their hopes of a European place are virtually dead now which must be dis-spiriting for them, but a win against us guarantees them a finish above Liverpool. They have Chelsea away to finish.

I think they'll be up for this precisely because of that. I can imagine Carroll being eager to do well in this game with the Liverpool connection.

I'd like to see this team - I know I won't - but I'd like to. Nolan is bound to start.

It might be nice to see one or two of our younger lads on the bench with the possibility of a short run out at the end.

Probably an Everton win - but a point is perfectly plausible.

FWIW, Everton were one of the most impressive teams I've seen this year when they came to ours.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

----------------Jussi
Demel--Tomkins--Reid--Potts
---------Noble--Diame
Hall------Collison---------Jarvis
------------Carroll

Shake it up give a few young ones a game see what happens.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I have/had our last 3 matches down for draws. Lets nick a point here.
Muddy
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Muddy »

Going to this, hoping for a good performance. Where's everyone usually drink before the match up that way?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A big :thup: to Ricardo for his efforts creating an interesting & informative match thread .

Everton are a decent side :settled , few changes in personnel from week to week, hard working.....but , and you knew it was coming , a little dull .Moyes is worshiped in the media for "doing a good job" whilst Allardyce just plays hoofball ? Both , in my view, are pragmatists, skilled in the art of getting a result.

If anything , I believe Sam is softening as he ages , and is showing a willingness to entertain a touch more, whereas Moyes is hardening , sacrificing style for a place further up the table .

Serious question : if you ignore their league position, would you think an Everton fan would enjoy watching their football for the past 2 seasons ? School of science my arse .However, the name of the game is to finish as high up the league system as you can , and in that regard Moyes has fashioned a method that works .

Tactically I'm not as astute as most other posters on this board, but I would think Sams priorities would be to stop Baines and Coleman getting forward .

A nailed on 0-0 .
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Osman ran rings around Noble and O'Neil at our place, while almost all their wide quality came from Baines and Pienaar. Jelavic had a shocker.

Carlton however, gave the centre halves a good going over - so it's surely reasonable to expect Carroll to do the same.

If Diame performs to the top end of his game, I think we'll get something. If he plays like he's sunning it in Acapulco it'll be a long afternoon. He was the vital component that was missing for us in the home game.

After Saturday's performance I think we could do with a couple of changes.

Definitely give Joe Cole a game, and it's perhaps time to get Noble back in.

I could move the midfield 5 around in my selection a little bit if needs be. Use Vaz and Nolan in the second half- maybe Carlton as well.

Those seniors who've been missing a run out should at least get 20-30 minutes in this game to give us a bit of zip and zest. A touch of freshness.

If we were to win this one I think we'd be a very solid bet for 9th, with the vaguest possibility of 8th.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

the pink palermo wrote:A big :thup: to Ricardo for his efforts creating an interesting & informative match thread.
Hear hear! Great informative read as always

Bubbles starting 11 would be absolutely spot on for me. I'd love to see that given a go.

& I'd take the same 11 against Reading, but with Carlton up front, as I have a feeling it will be his farewell for us
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

-------------------------Jussi------------------------
Demel--------Collins-------Reid---------O'Brien
-----------------Noble-------Diame----------------
J.Cole----------------Nolan----------------Jarvis
-----------------------Carroll-----------------------

Henderson, Spence, Collison, Moncur, Lletget Vaz Te, C.Cole

Never going to happen though :D
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Does anyone know why this is at 3pm on a Sunday?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I cannot think of any reason why players of either side will want to go out there full pelt and risk injury to win a totally meaningless match and f*** up their summer holidays in the process. In my opinion, here is the best opportunity of all for Sam to blood some of the youth players. They will be the exception to this.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Rocketron wrote:Does anyone know why this is at 3pm on a Sunday?
Saturday is FA Cup Final day, Ron.