West Ham Utd 2-0 Cardiff City (17/08/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

West Ham Utd 2-0 Cardiff City (17/08/13)

Post by likemydreams »

Full name Cardiff City Football Club
Nickname The Bluebirds
Founded 1899 (as Riverside A.F.C.)
Owner Vincent Tan
Manager Malky Mackay
2012–13 The Championship, 1st (promoted)

Cardiff City will compete in the Premier League for the first time in the 2013–14 season. They play their home games at the Cardiff City Stadium, after moving from Ninian Park in 2009.

The club was founded as Riverside A.F.C. in 1899 and is the only club from outside England to have won the FA Cup, which they won in 1927. The club won the Football League Championship title in the 2013 season and were promoted to the top flight for the first time in 51 years.

In 2012, Cardiff City was rebranded by the club's Malaysian owner, Vincent Tan. This included the change of the club's home colours and crest.

Match Appointments:

Referee: Howard Webb. Assistants: M Mullarkey, D Cann. Fourth Official: K Stroud.

Last Time Out:

West Ham 3 - 0 Cardiff

West Ham sealed their place in the Championship play-off final by completing an emphatic semi-final victory over Cardiff.

The Hammers came into the second leg with a firm grip on the tie courtesy of a 2-0 win in Wales last week.
They strengthened this in the 15th minute when captain Kevin Nolan headed in from a Matt Taylor corner.
They made sure of the win when Ricardo Vaz Te fired in a superb drive with Nicky Maynard adding a late third.

Sam Allardyce's side remain on course to make amends for allowing automatic promotion to slip through their fingers. They are now just one game away from the Premier League, with either Birmingham or Blackpool representing the final hurdle at Wembley on Saturday, 19 May.
It will be West Ham's first appearance at the national stadium since the 1981 League Cup final.

Form:

West Ham 2 - 1 Pacos De Ferreira

On the board in 16 seconds. That’s all it took for Ravel Morrison to present Sam Allardyce with another compelling case to be selected for West Ham’s campaign opener against Cardiff.
The young midfielder, once compared to Paul Scholes for natural ability, could be on the verge of making his Premier League debut after scoring his sixth goal of pre-season during the 2-1 win over Pacos De Ferreira, a team readying themselves for a Champions League play-off match with Zenit St Petersburg.
That the opposition at Upton Park was of such standing gives you an indication of the positivity surrounding Morrison and the West Ham team as a whole after a promising pre-season.

Cardiff 2 - 1 Athletic Club

Cardiff City completed their Premier League preparations with a 2-1 win over La Liga outfit Athletic Club at Cardiff City Stadium.

It was classy strikes from Peter Whittingham and Fraizer Campbell either side of half-time that did it, as City made the most of the chances that came their way. Whittingham's fantastic 20-yard volley just before the break giving the Bluebirds the lead despite a tough first period against the Lions.

City wasted no time in doubling their advantage after the break as Campbell raced clear of the Athletic Club's back line, confidently rounding Athletic Club 'keeper Gorka Iraizoz before slotting the ball home past the Lions' scrambling defence.

New Arrivals:

ANDY CARROLL

Born: 6 January 1989, Gateshead, England
Former clubs: Newcastle United, Preston North End (loan), Liverpool
England striker Andy Carroll joined West Ham United on loan from Liverpool on 30 August 2012, making an eye-catching debut in a 3-0 home Premier League victory over Fulham two days later.
The pony-tailed centre forward earned a fearsome reputation during his time at first club Newcastle United, where he helped fire the Magpies to promotion and worked under and alongside future West Ham manager Sam Allardyce and captain Kevin Nolan.
A talismanic presence for club and country, Carroll scored in the 2012 FA Cup semi-finals and final for Liverpool and spearheaded England's attack at the 2012 UEFA European Championship finals, netting a trademark header in the 3-2 group-stage victory over Sweden.

ADRIAN

Born: 3 January 1987, Seville, Spain
Former clubs: Betis B, Real Betis

Adrian San Miguel del Castillo, more commonly known as Adrian, is an imposing 6'3 shot stopper who has spent virtually his entire career with his hometown club, enjoying an outstanding 2012/13 season in the Spanish top flight.

The 26-year-old joined the Hammers on 1July following the expiration of his contract with Primera Division side Real Betis Balompie. He has signed an initial three-year deal, with the Club having an option to extend this for a further two seasons.

RAZVAN RAT

Born: 26 May 1981, Piatra-Olt, Romania
Former clubs: Rapid Piatra-Olt, Sporting Piteşti, Cetatea Târgu Neamţ, Rapid Bucureşti, Shakhtar Donetsk.

Experienced Romanian international Razvan Rat joined West Ham United on an initial one-year deal on 1 July, following the expiry of his contract at Shakhtar Donetsk.

Having racked up 88 appearances for his country and upward of 248 for former club Shakhtar Donestk, the left-back comes with a mightily impressive CV.

During his time with Shakhtar, Rat won seven Ukrainian Premier League titles, four Ukranian Cups and lifted the UEFA Cup in 2009, as well as totting up as many as 57 outings in the UEFA Champions League.

Just last season, the Piara-Olt-born defender played eight times in Shahktar's UEFA Champions League campaign, helping his side to defeat Chelsea on their way to the last-16.

DANNY WHITEHEAD

Born: 23 Oct 1993, Trafford, England
Former Clubs: Stockport County

Manchester-born youngster Danny Whitehead was West Ham United's fourth summer signing of 2013, penning a two-year deal from Conference North outfit Stockport County.

An attacking midfielder by trade, Whitehead joined the Hatters at the age of 14 and wasted no time making an impression, scoring regularly for their Under-18 side despite still being a schoolboy.

He subsequently made his first-team bow in September 2011 at just 17 years of age, coming off the bench in a 4-2 defeat by Fleetwood Town. His first goal for the club followed just a week later; with the youngster finding the net in a 2-2 stalemate away at Cambridge United.

Cardiff:

Premier League new boys Cardiff City have broken their club record for a third time this summer, after agreeing a deal with Sevilla for the signature of Chilean midfielder Gary Medel.

Medel, 26, was in the stands to watch the sides friendly against Athletic Bilbao on Saturday, with reports in Spain claiming the deal to worth as much as €13m (£11.2m).

he deal is subject to the midfielder completing his medical in the next few days.

Prior to this season's promotion to the Premier League, Cardiff's transfer record had stood at £3m for the signature of Michael Chopra in 2010, however Malky Mackay's side had already shattered the club record after signing Andreas Cornelius for a fee of £8m from FC Copenhagen earlier last month.

The Welsh club didn't stop there, adding highly rated England defender Steven Caulker to a growing squad, breaking the club record for a second time in less than two weeks.

This time prizing the 21-year old away from Tottenham Hotspurs for £8.5m.

Astonishingly Cardiff have upped that record again, smashing the record in capture of the highly rated Medel, who brings international pedigree, with over over 60 Chilean caps to his name, including appearances at the 2010 World Cup.

"We're delighted to have secured the services of Gary- a tenacious and intelligent international midfielder," Mackay told the club's official website.

"Having had two seasons of regular football in La Liga- with 60 odd international caps to his name and three appearances at a World Cup- his experience will be an invaluable asset to our squad.

"He's played in a number of Boca v River Plate derbies in Argentina- one of the world's biggest derby matches- and I've no doubt that his background and pedigree will complement our midfield group in the Barclays Premier League."

Mackay will have to wait a little longer to see his new man in action, with Medel due to fly out with his international teammates on sunday, for Chile's friendly against Iraq in Denmark on Wednesday.

Medel is expected to be available for Cardiff's first match in the top flight, away to West Ham next Saturday.

Tickets:

Less than 600 tickets remain for the opening Premier League fixture of the 2013/2014 season. All remaining tickets are on general sale.

Travel:

District line

Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 August, no service between Tower Hill and West Ham. Replacement buses operate.

Replacement buses operate

Service A: Tower Hill - Aldgate - Aldgate East - Whitechapel - Stepney Green - Mile End - Bow Road - Stratford, for Central and Jubilee lines, London Overground and National Rail.

Service B: Tower Hill - Aldgate - Aldgate East - Whitechapel - Stepney Green - Mile End - Bow Road - Bromley-by-Bow - Canning Town, for Jubilee line

H'smith & City line

Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 August, no service between Liverpool Street and Barking. Replacement buses operate.

Replacement buses operate

Service A: Tower Hill - Aldgate - Aldgate East - Whitechapel - Stepney Green - Mile End - Bow Road - Stratford, for Central and Jubilee lines, London Overground and National Rail.

Service B: Tower Hill - Aldgate - Aldgate East - Whitechapel - Stepney Green - Mile End - Bow Road - Bromley-by-Bow - Canning Town, for Jubilee line and Docklands Light Railway

There is a good service planned for the Jubilee Line.

Programme:

To Follow

Hope you don't mind me doing the first match thread but couldn't wait any longer!!

so here it is the the start of the premier league 2013/14 season and we kick off our campaign against Cardiff City here are their in and outs up to now

In: Andreas Cornelius - FC Copenhagen - £7.5m

John Brayford - Derby - £1.5m

Simon Moore - Brentford - Undisclosed

Steven Caulker - Tottenham Hotspur - £8m

Out: Jese Darko - Released

Nat Jarvis - Released

Stephan McPhail - Released

Elliot Parish - Bristol City - Free

Heldar Helgurson - Retired

Ben Nugent - Brentford - Loan

i think this could be a tricky start but im sure most will feel that although 3 points is great a point on the opening day against a newly promoted team isnt the end of the world.

As for our starting eleven team im going for something like this

jussi
demel
reid
collins
rat
noble
diame
jarvis
morrison
nolan
miaga

subs tomkins, o'brien , adrian ,cole ,vaz te , collison

prediction 1-0
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Re: West Ham V Cardiff Match Thread

Post by The Sherriff »

Unless we sign another striker in the next few days, I would actually start Nobby up front for this ....

Would be tempted to use the full quota of allowed subs .... as opposed to the OP's bench :wink:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I feel underwhelmed by the level of detail in the first match thread of the season's opening post.

I miss Ricardo.
likemydreams

Post by likemydreams »

Im sure Sam will start with a recognised striker , but we do look very desperate up front
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Re: West Ham Utd V Cardiff City: match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Given that it's Monday already I'll leave this open, but when Ricardo pops along I'll have to send his post to the top of the board (sorry!)
likemydreams

Post by likemydreams »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I feel underwhelmed by the level of detail in the first match thread of the season's opening post.

I miss Ricardo.
I know what you mean but my pc was running so slow I couldn't upload any pics :cry:
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Morrison to start from the bench for me along with Downing if secured. J.C to start this one.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Joe Cole has certainly deserved a start given his pre-season energy levels.
What a great match it could be with Morrison and Downing coming on to run at defenders in the second half. :thup:
Reckon we'll scrape through to the win. Low scoring.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

FINALLY!
pdbis
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by pdbis »

It will not be easy as was proved in the first game in the fizzy pop league against Cardiff where they gained an undeserved win.I think there could be a few tasty tackles being dished out in this one,but I think we could just sneak it 2-1. :D
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Can't wait, few beers in The Brittania, really looking forward to it it has been far to long!

As for the game I don't think it will be easy, Cardiff will threaten but reckon we'll win 3-1 with a late goal after a nervy 2-1 scoreline for most of the game.

COYI
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

I feel a bit weird about this - on the one hand I really haven't missed football this summer but for the same token I'm really very happy that proper football is back!

Fancy us for a 2-0 win here.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

.....................Jussi.......................
Demel....Collins...Reid..........Rat
...................Noble....................
Cole.....Nolan....Morrison.....Jarvis
...................Maiga....................

Diame coming on for Morrison in the second half. If Carroll was fit i'd have said Diame from the start but I can see us struggling for goals without him in the lineup which is something I think Morrison could add to the side
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biglee92

Post by Biglee92 »

2-1 win
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Can't wait, few beers in The Brittania

COYI
As in Plaistow? You got a usual bunch you drink with up there mate? Full season ahead for me this year, rather than the half ST, so looking for some football friends :lol:
Norwich Iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Norwich Iron »

I'll be there. I think we will have agood steady season and be strong at home. I reckon 2-0 to us. Coyi :crest:
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Collins withdraws from Wales squad...

think we might be seeing Tomkins - Reid starting!
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Jussi

O Brien
Collins
Reid
Rat

Diame
Noble
Nolan

Cole
Maiga
Downing

Subs

Adrian
Demel
McCartney
Morrison
Jarvis
Vaz Te
Tombides
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Adrian / Jussi

Demel
Reid
Collins
Rat

Downing / Cole
Noble
Nolan
Diame
Jarvis

Maiga.

Subs: O'Brien, Jussi / Adrian, Vaz Te, Downing / Cole, Carroll
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

Any reason you think Tombides makes the bench ahead of Lee or McCallum, both who have featured in preseason for the first team, where as Tombides has not?