The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Yes
50%
No
30%
Neither
8%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 400

hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

Post by hamagram »

Yep...we got a left back. For free.
West Ham team selection rules state: we must be short of at least 1 player in at least one position.
The inbalance has been restored. Top work Sam.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Voted no.

A complete mismanagement of funds shown with how unbalanced and lightweight our attacking options are with not even a shot on target against a bottom half team at home last week.

We spent 80% of our transfer budget on a player that was injured and has a worrying injury record ad tied up £35k on the LB position on a player that hasn't played a single minute in 270 mins and will not come into a defensive unit that hasn't conceded a goal in open play during that time.

That is complete mismanagement of funds.
Last edited by Bobby Orangeboom on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Voted yes, as I very much like the players we have secured. Would have liked another CF, but I also like that we've not bought dross for the sake of it...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

wizzo_66 wrote:Point taken - Neither and Undecided just appear to mean the same thing in this context.
They shouldn't; 'Undecided' is the option for those who are yet to reach a definitive verdict, whereas 'Neither' means you have formulated an opinion but don't feel strongly enough about either to vote 'yes' or 'no'.

Anyway - hopefully there's an option there most feel comfortable selecting. As I said, it's just a quickie.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Voted Neither. Whilst I'm happy with the players we've brought in, Carroll, Downing etc. I can't help but feel, like others, that we have mismanaged our limited funds.

Bring in Carlton and get Carroll, Downing and Joe Cole fit and I'll feel a lot better.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

All in all, I’m underwhelmed.

There has been less strengthening than I’d hoped for, allied to an unsuccessful approach to departures.

The pursuit of Ba seemed likely to fail to me for the majority of the summer.

Hoping they use the free agent market to redeem their selves a little by stiffening the spine.

No gripes with three of the signings. I am disappointed to see that Rat isn’t deemed to be an improvement on a right footed left back. Fully expected a starting left back, not a reserve.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Voted no.

A complete mismanagement of funds shown with how unbalanced and lightweight our attacking options are with not even a shot on target against a bottom half team at home last week.

We spent 80% of our transfer budget on a player that was injured and has a worrying injury record ad tied up £35k on the LB position on a player that hasn't played a single minute in 270 mins and will not come into a defensive unit that hasn't conceded a goal in open play during that time.

That is complete mismanagement of funds.
Same rationale although doubt rat is on 35k.

This window could relegate us. We have an ageing squad built for today with few valuable assets. Totally blame the manager.
Chimera
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chimera »

Undecided....

Think this is a question that needs to be asked end of November time.... Only then will we have an idea.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Marky wrote:
We have an ageing squad built for today with few valuable assets. Totally blame the manager.
You could argue that given recent performances and age that Joey O'Brien, Reid, Noble, Diame, Jarvis, Ravel and Carroll as an absolute minimum would all command reasonable fees.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Yes.

Good window but disappointing end.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Voted yes, but would really like to have voted:
"YES, I'm happy with the players we signed, but we need an extra striker (Kenwyne Jones or Peter Crouch level would be fine by me)"
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

I voted "no".
All teams are hostages to fortune when it comes to injuries, of course, but without the signing of another striker our season looks to pivot on how many games AC will play.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Yes but want to know why we bought Rat if he isn't getting a game. I still think we will get another couple in on frees.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

Assuming Carlton signs, we've strengthened at Left back, on the wings and in goal. Lost Gary O'Neil but Morrison has taken his place. I'm happy with that.

A lot depends on keeping Carroll fit though. Quite a big gamble.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

hammerdivone wrote:yes once we sign an out of contract CF
My thoughts exactly.

Given the current status of the club, and lack of money, we have taken quality over quantity. As a result, we have had to go for what's available to an extent, rather than what positions most need filling. Also, we haven't lost anyone essential to the first 11. It is a bit of a gamble, but I think it demonstrates a more ambitious mentality.

If we get in a half-decent back up striker on a free, then I would say it's been a very good window.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Marky wrote:
Same rationale although doubt rat is on 35k.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... razvan-rat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... Razvan-Rat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Generally pleased. But when Carlton Cole signs it'll be party time.

:raver:
ric92

Post by ric92 »

I voted neither. I just feel that whilst as a squad we are stronger than last year, the lack of a decent back up striker is going to cost us dear. I would be very pleased with the business as a whole though if we re-sign Carlton in the near future.

Also felt we failed in shifting some of the players we should have shifted. The likes of Taylor and Linda should have either been sold if possible or if not just paid off to give us some more cash in the wage budget.
Last edited by ric92 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
fjthegrey
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Neither.

Apart from Rat I don't particularly care for the players we've signed. Its not that they're bad players, I just don't think they're going to help us grow into a more expansive, expressive and progressive style. We're going to continue to go straight from back to front the majority of the time and we're going to rely on being solid, hard to beat and hoping to nick a goal.

That's fine, it's a means to an end and its nice to not be soft centred rollovers anymore but it's never gonna get my dick hard.

I do like Sam but I don't think he's going to leave much behind after he's gone.
EugeneSpeed
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Last night was a massive anti climax, but we shouldn't confuse that with having a 'poor transfer window'.