Hull City 1-0 West Ham Utd (28/09/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

ironilunga
Has liked: 115 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Re: Hull City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by ironilunga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Hambrosia Stu wrote:As Morrison played last weekend and midweek, it might be a good game for him to step down to the bench
I think we have to give the right message to Rav.

He has played well and scored in pre season. He has played the last few games and scored in all of them. His attitude has been good and he has looked the best player in our ranks. He has broken into the team in the right way and done all that has been asked of him.

If he is fit and raring to go I think he deserves to start. What message would dropping him serve after his recent performances and goals?

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:50 pm

8 goals in 14 games including pre season. Rav has to start the game.

hawkins_hammer
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Most importantly we need to BE POSITIVE!

One Peter Butler
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by One Peter Butler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:51 pm

I think if Hull score early then they'll go on to win with relative comfort. If we keep them out for the first 20-25 then we will get stronger as the game goes on.

Can we take our chances will be the question. Let's hope it falls to anyone but Collins one yard out.

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Sloop John B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:58 pm

ironilunga wrote:What message would dropping him serve after his recent performances and goals?
That despite the goals his overall game isn't quite there yet. Drifts in and out of games from what I've seen... not knocking the kid he looks like he could be a real gem but still got a ways to go yet.

Pulls up Trees

Post by Pulls up Trees » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:00 pm

As sure as I was when Baines went to take those 2 free-kicks. We're gonna get 'ammered in this one.

Hull must be licking their lips.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

Stepney

Post by Stepney » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:13 pm

Its about time we won again. Not sure how we will do it but Im going for 2-1 and 3 much needed points.

Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:15 pm

ironilunga wrote:If he is fit and raring to go I think he deserves to start. What message would dropping him serve after his recent performances and goals?
Oh, he deserves to start. He's certainly done enough to earn his place in the side.
But it's a squad game. I know Sam has been particularly good at setting the tone that if you play well enough, you keep the shirt. But the flipside of that is keeping the players fresh by rotating when needed.

As for the message it sends, it depends how it's presented
If I were Sam, I wouldn't present it to him like this:-
Sloop John B wrote:That despite the goals his overall game isn't quite there yet. Drifts in and out of games from what I've seen... not knocking the kid he looks like he could be a real gem but still got a ways to go yet.
Sure, I don't disagree in the slightest. He does still have a way to go

But surely it would be better to say to the player something along the lines of "you've earnt your place in the first 11, but you've played 2 games already this week. Whereas I rested a lot of the others for the league cup game, you played, gave a lot to the team, so I feel you're deserving a rest for this one. We've got a lot of tough games coming up, which I'll need you for, so you'll be on the bench for this one, and will probably get on towards the end"

I guess I'm thinking it could be a good game to change things for two reasons. Partly due to that photo of him asleep on the bus, which implied that going from reserve/pre-season level to 90 minutes for the first team took a bit out of him. As he has played, what, the last 3 games on the trot(?), I can't help feeling it's better to rest him sooner rather than later, when he has to be rested
But also, for a tough(ish) away game, I can't help feeling we'd benefit from Diame's bite in the middle, at least while we weather the early storm

EssexHammer1994

Post by EssexHammer1994 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:16 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:I reckon Samuel will revert to what he knows and trusts for this one:

XI: Jussi: O’Brien: Rat: Collins: Reid: Vaz Te: Jarvis: Diame: Nolan: Noble: Maiga
Subs: Adrian: Demel: Tomkins: Morrison: Taylor: Downing: Petric

Morrison to the bench with an introduction early in the second half.

Fitness position allows him to put Downing and Petric there too. Again, expect alterations around the hour mark.

A game we really could do with winning, but Hull are a bit better than many probably imagine. Think we might manage a narrow win. Something like 3-2 or 2-1.

3 Goals away from home!? You must be joking

bubbles1966
Has liked: 426 likes
Total likes: 867 likes

Post by bubbles1966 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Judging by Allardyce's press conference, Morrison will start. Diame out wide again then, probably?

ironilunga
Has liked: 115 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by ironilunga » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Good post Stu and some decent points. I guess It boils down to dropping a player on a hot streak Versus that players need for recovery and rest.

We shall see.

Jameslegend
Has liked: 33 likes

Post by Jameslegend » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:29 pm

No way should Rav be dropped, if he is fit he should play. When we are missing the likes of Cole, and Downing is just coming back after a period on the sidelines, we need him even more for that creative spark in the final 3rd.

I have never seen the need to drop Nolan before Rav's emergence this season, but I think Diame is wasted out wide and so I would bring Noble back in to partner him in the middle and let Rav play in Nolans position.

My XI

Jussi

JoB Collins Reid Rat

Noble Diame

Vaz Te Rav Jarvis

Petric

Estuary
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Tough call, but I think we will see Jarvis and Morrison start, with Vaz on the bench.

Jussi

O'Brien
Collins
Reid
Rat

Noble
Diami
Nolan
Morrison
Jarvis

Maiga

S Adrian, Tomkins, Vaz, Downing, Taylor, Petric

Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Bill » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Morrison to start and West Ham to win 2-1 courtesy of goals from Maiga and Nolan.

Estuary
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Just read Sam pre match for the Hull, Downing is fit and with the squad, Joe Cole is a week away, Carroll still in Belgium. Morrison will start by the sound of it.

Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Some selection dilemmas for Sam, but I think he'll go with the same starting line-up as Everton.

4-1-4-1: Jussi; Rat, Reid, Collins, O'Brien; Noble; Jarvis, Morrison, Nolan, Diame; Maiga.

Subs: Adrian, Demel, Tomkins, Downing, Vaz Te, Petric, Taylor.

The bold move would be to drop Nolan for Vaz Te, move Morrison up the park and Diame back into the centre. Not sure Sam is willing to bench his captain for a league game just yet. Although Jarvis scored against Cardiff, it was quite lucky and many on here weren't convinced by his overall performance, so he could potentially make way for Vaz Te. Rat could be replaced by Demel, if Sam thinks we were too open down the left lately.

Both teams have been pretty dour this season, although both were involved in five goal games last weekend. Normal service to resume with a 1-1 draw.

Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Going to the Butlins Northern Soul weekender at Skegness tonight, found out the acts don't start till 11pm each night, so just bought two tickets for tomorrow's game (less than hour & a half away, apparently) 8-)

Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Longneck'd Iron wrote:Going to the Butlins Northern Soul weekender at Skegness tonight, found out the acts don't start till 11pm each night, so just bought two tickets for tomorrow's game (less than hour & a half away, apparently) 8-)
Nice.

claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:27 pm

err am I missing something? isn't noble suspended??

Billy Hunt
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by Billy Hunt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:29 pm

claretcloggy wrote:err am I missing something? isn't noble suspended??
Nope, served his ban on Tuesday