West Ham Utd 1-3 Manchester City (19/10/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

richiepap

Re: West Ham Utd v Manchester City: match thread

Post by richiepap » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 am

swash wrote:Players should be more familiar with the new system for this one 4-0
Worth logging in for :-)

kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:32 am

If there is one thing Sam is consistent on, is that he is reluctant to change a winning team. The two most likely players to be dropped (Vaz Te and Morrison) both scored last game. They won't be dropped because Sam very rarely drops goal scorers the game after.

Neither will the defense change, it only changes if we let in goals. Imo we'll line up with the same starting XI, the tactics may be different but the team will be the same.

Man City do a lot of crossing from wide areas but they aren't very good at it.

Only vs Man U was what they created from wide areas significant and Man U's defense was wide open all game.

We should adopt identical tactics as vs Spurs, clog the middle and force them out past the penalty box. If they can score from wide vs Reid and Tompkins well they probably deserve to win.

If they go three at the back in response, ie take off a fullback and put on a striker, Jarvis for Nolan should be the correct substitution.

Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 am

sutts07 wrote: I also think people need to see past the 'we can't set up without a striker at home' argument. It allows our best players more space and time to attack so we certainly can line up that way in my eyes. Especially with talent like Jarvis, Cole, Vaz Te, Downing, Diame and Morrison who can all take a player on and score a goal on their day.
Agreed. The idea that we were less attacking without a striker and simply parked the bus against Spurs is wrong, so no reason why we need to play a striker just because we're at home.

Citeh will attack more than Hull did, so we should look to create chances on the counter (and from set pieces) like we did against Spurs. In terms of chances created, we had 11 attempts from inside the area at both Hull and Spurs, but there's a noticeable difference in how close to goal these were:

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:37 am

Surely it'll be same again?! It would be incredibly harsh to bench any one of those 11 after that performance. They were all at least 9/10

Billydinho
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 141 likes

Post by Billydinho » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:44 am

Play the same 11 again.

Push Vaz Te up top, have Ravel cutting in from the left. Diame/Noble can plug any gap left by forward ventures.

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 304 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:51 am

Assuming there are no injuries we should go with the same 11, but I suspect that Sam will change something in the tactics. Saying that packing the midfield is probably a good tactic against City.

_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:48 am

Hampshire Hammer wrote:Assuming there are no injuries we should go with the same 11, but I suspect that Sam will change something in the tactics. Saying that packing the midfield is probably a good tactic against City.
Yep, scouts or coaches from citeh would've been watching intently I would imagine.

It does cause the opposition coach to think or question how they will set up their own game plan though coming into this. If they do opt to change it or tinker with it in any case. Creates a bit of doubt in their heads I guess.

If they try changing their game plan to adapt to our set up (assuming we set up similar to the Spurs game) without much practice it will fall apart for them and we may well have our back to back wins.

I reckon Sam will err on the side of caution for this one though and go with the more conventional tactics initially but with the same 11.

Choking the citeh midfield might not work as well, different team/players etc rotating the striker position is still genius mind you and having your wing backs venture forward and support more often wouldn't expose you all that much to any counter attacks. :crest:

fjthegrey
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by fjthegrey » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Man City do most of their attacking down the wings. We will need to play wingers. A different tactic is in order.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 402 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:56 pm

On their day, City's 'front 6' are as good as anyone else in the league. We will have our work cut out defensively.

It is a boost for us that Kompany is likely to be unavailable, because he's the rock in front of Joe Hart. Without their captain, the defence looks less formidable.

I agree with fj, the way City play is such that a repeat of 4-6-0 may prove to be our undoing.

A personal preference would be Cole to have signed, worked with the team in training and then given the 'hold it up/lay it off' role. OK, he isn't perfect at it, but he can hopefully cause enough of a problem for City's new CB pairing to bring in others.

I'll take the point now, thanks. :thup:

sendô
Has liked: 832 likes
Total likes: 736 likes

Post by sendô » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Anything less than a resounding home win and it's "Boooo Allardyce out" from me.

Seriously though, we'll need more of the same for this one. Press them high, keep it tight, smother the space and don't make any mistakes. City have a bit more about them than Spurs so this will be a tougher test, although City are far more likely to simply not show up from time to time.

Plus I don't think their back line is as good as we're led to believe, particularly as <insert whoever is managing them this week> seems to like to play gung-ho all out attack.

You know, the total opposite of the Dudley boy running our mob.

I'd be chuffed with a 0-0 and a clean sheet.

:crest:

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by richneal » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:17 am

The gaffer made an uncharacteristic gamble and it paid off versus Spurs. I'm cynical enough to think it won't happen again versus this mob: both the formation/tactics and the result. Hope I'm wrong.

TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:32 am

City will have 2 weeks to get to grips with Big Sam's 4-6-0.
I still think he should play that system though. If we are as well drilled as we were against Tottenham it will still be tough for them to get much from us.

Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:38 am

I think we should really surprise them, flip it on it's head and play 0-4-6 :D

Estuary
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 am

Two things, Sat at 5.30?? That's just ****, we should be in the pub talking about the game not providing audience background for a TV show.
Also, great as Saturdays result was, I think Sam will at least change the formation, and in my opinion the line up. We will play with a centre forward, Petric in all probability, with Vaz dropping to the bench. Hard on the lad, but horses for courses will be the order of the day.

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 am

Estuary wrote:Sat at 5.30?? That's just ****
Really? It's the best kick off time imo!

_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:45 am

Wonder if Sam has poured over the Bayern match for some insights. Harts' confidence is shot, indifferent away form, Kompany out, you do the math. :D

Seriously though, 2 weeks is a very long time in football. Carlton on show today against Charlton, he and Petric should be up to speed by then too. Will hazard a guess that AC will be on the bench for this one. COYI

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 304 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Estuary wrote:Sat at 5.30?? That's just ****
Yea Why Not wrote: Really? It's the best kick off time imo!
All depends on your circumstances, I prefer 3pm as I can leave home about 12 and be home by 8 so can still go out. With a 5.30 KO by the time I get home I probably won't feel like going out, just sit down in front of the idiot box. Other people have further to travel, whereas some will just dive in the pub after the game until closing time no matter what time the KO is so probably doesn't matter too much to them.

Saying all that I prefer 5.30 to 12.30 kickoffs.

Iron_Baker

Post by Iron_Baker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:15 pm

TurnbullHammer wrote:City will have 2 weeks to get to grips with Big Sam's 4-6-0.
I still think he should play that system though. If we are as well drilled as we were against Tottenham it will still be tough for them to get much from us.
do they how may of their star will be there until wednesday/ thursday the manager may have had the time but maybe not the players

m-h

Post by m-h » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:37 am

4-5-1 or 4-6-0 ?.

Allardyce's first back to back wins in the money league with the West Ham since being appointed manager ?.

arlhe
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by arlhe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:16 am

I can't believe anyone will be dropped after the Spuds game. Bayern Munich we're not but I still think the set up will cause them problems.

Still, we're West Ham and we've had our hopes raised: thus we'll contrive to lose 2-0
Last edited by arlhe on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.