Winston Reid

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 402 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Re: Winston Reid

Post by prophet:marginal » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:16 am

Gatsby wrote:
They were the only team to remain unbeaten at the 2010 world cup as well!
...And Winston was their top scorer!
(with one...)

kthammer

Re: Times really are a changing! (Winston Reid)

Post by kthammer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:50 am

Top defender but his distribution is unimpressive - surely Wenger would want someone who can pass?

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:16 am

kthammer wrote:Top defender but his distribution is unimpressive
Yep. I can't see Wenger going for him personally

WestHamIFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by WestHamIFC » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:28 am

kthammer wrote:Top defender but his distribution is unimpressive - surely Wenger would want someone who can pass?
What, you mean like Mertersacker..?! :lol:

Ozza
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Ozza » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:57 am

Anyone know his contract situation? I've got a nasty feeling it's around the 18-24 month mark might be wrong? If it is we maybe up off selling I suppose if he doesn't want to sign again, and we wouldn't get as much as we would want.

All total conjecture of course
Last edited by Ozza on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rasp
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Rasp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:02 am

His not for sale..sorted..

fjthegrey
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:05 am

Now is the time to offer him a massive 5 year deal with a wage bonus. I'm talking, today. Get that offer in there now.

Lets see how much of a man Winston Reid is. Sign it and become a legend, reject it and fall into obscurity as just another player at a big club.

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 363 likes

Post by Turns to Stone » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 am

I think a better comparison than Caulker or Lescott would be Mamadou Sakho who just went to Liverpool for £15m.

By my reckoning, Reid is better than Sakho.

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 270 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:17 am

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Might be going slightly OTT there mate.
I don't think he is.

It's partly to do with the madness of the current market but I think he's closer to £20 million than £6 million. I hope we keep him but he would improve Arsenal's defence and also the Mancs (which is where I honestly think he may end up). He is that good.

Kismet

Post by Kismet » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 am

Ozza wrote:Anyone know his contract situation? I've got a nasty feeling it's around the 18-24 month mark might be wrong? If it is we maybe up off selling I suppose if he doesn't want to sign again, and we wouldn't get as much as we would want.

All total conjecture of course
From this very website:

http://www.kumb.com/stats_contracts.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Estuary
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:34 am

I don't think he is.

It's partly to do with the madness of the current market but I think he's closer to £20 million than £6 million. I hope we keep him but he would improve Arsenal's defence and also the Mancs (which is where I honestly think he may end up). He is that good.[/quote]

The buying club would make a poor offer, say £12m, and then encourage Reid via his agent to pressure us into a move. That's what Chelsea tried with Rooney. But I cant see Sully even replying to the email unless there is a £20m+ plus player offer.

NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 am

I love Winston - partly for his goals - but he's more Richard Dunne than Franz Beckenbauer. But on that basis well worth giving a decent long-term contract.

Estuary
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:04 am

NW5hammer wrote:I love Winston - partly for his goals - but he's more Richard Dunne than Franz Beckenbauer. But on that basis well worth giving a decent long-term contract.
He is a typical Kiwi warrior, athletic, brave and never gives up. Reminds me of Martin Keown at his best, who I rated as player.

James P
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by James P » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:11 am

Sadly, if Reid's contract expires in the summer of 2015, then he is 18 months away from being worth £0m. If we don't manage to get him to sign a new contract, his value is only going to diminish regardless of his abilities or performances.

The club need to pull out some stops to get him to sign up for longer really.

Aceface
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by Aceface » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:18 am

Until we get a striker that can find the net I don't think you can put a price on him. The only reason we're not deep in the relegation zone is because our defence keeps chalking up clean sheets. God help us if we start leaking at the back as well as not scoring - he is the crucial man for us until Carroll or AN Other starts helping out at the other end

WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:24 am

James P wrote:Sadly, if Reid's contract expires in the summer of 2015, then he is 18 months away from being worth £0m. If we don't manage to get him to sign a new contract, his value is only going to diminish regardless of his abilities or performances.

The club need to pull out some stops to get him to sign up for longer really.
This ^

If he doesn't sign an extension in January we face losing him for peanuts in the summer as he'll only have 1 year left.

The chances of us getting the £20m he is worth are unfortunately rather slim.

HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by HamburgHammer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:32 am

One might argue that West Ham right no due to the system we play is not a striker friendly environment.
Of course I'd be happy to see Carroll come back from injury and start banging them in for fun, but as of now we don't appear to create many scoring opportunities anyway which obviously puts a lot of pressure on players/strikers when one of the few chances comes along.

Best example is our recent no striker formation. I get the impression that you could give Allardyce the best strikers in the world, he would still approach the game with the desire to not concede a goal first, then thinking about maybe scoring one or two at the other end to nick the game.
I see Allardyce as a defensive minded manager first and on the face of it there's nothing wrong with that, as a West Ham fan I just find it hard to watch sometimes.

I'd rather see us be a bit more aggressive, even at the risk of conceding more, if it gives us a chance to score a lot more. But then again Allardyce is in charge and he should know best, it's his team now and his job to get the best out of his players. I'm not sure we're seeing the best way West Ham could play now, even without Andy Carroll. But as I said: It's unlikely that Allardyce will change his philosophy on the pitch, so we'll all have to live with that I suppose.

goingunderground
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by goingunderground » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Losing Reid would immediately undo a lot of the hard work that has gone into being one of the better defensive sides in the league.

Considering our defence is the strongest component of our team (and the only reason we're not bottom), selling him would be catastrophic and would harken back to the West Ham days of selling our best talent.

Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:07 pm

To bring back the annoying reasoning of FFP, I doubt we have much if any room to offer Reidy a new contract in Jan, it will be negotiated towards the end of the season as they are doing with Ravel. We were supposedly near our cap, then signed Petric (PS, Petric not yet on our squad list at the top of the page UtJ) & Cole (Cole a short term til Jan, I realise). This must have used up any amount remaining and possibly put us over the limit, hence the recent loans out. (we do not normally loan out first XI/squad players like Collison).

Injuries to Diarra, Vaz, Linda will mean that we will not be able to sell these 3 players in Jan to create some space in the wage bill, so unless we move on Collison or Taylor in Jan, we cannot expect any new faces unless we do not renew Coles contract. The only player who could move in reality is Miaga, but this depends on how well Carroll returns and stays injury free.

The squad would be dangerously thin if we did sell and not replace them, so for these reasons, I feel we will play a waiting game with Reid and once we are safe for the premiership next season, then we will act. This could well work with Reid as he will want to keep playing at the top level and seems very happy here. The past few years he has cemented his spot in the All Whites team and being made captain when Nelson retired, so unless he has immediate desires for Champs League footie, he should not really have a reason to move on yet. Obviously if WHU win nothing (there again if that is what he wants, why join the gooners :wink: ) and he continues to improve, then in 2 or 3 years he may want to join a top 4 club, but for now, he has idolisation from the fans and respect from both his country and club.

Oh and £6M is chicken feed for a player of his level and potential. Sulli & Gold would not play ball at that level, with 18 months remaining.

fjthegrey
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 pm

People keep using the word potential. He's 25, probably at his physical peak about now and certainly performing beyond what any of us would have dreamed. He's already there. We aren't waiting for the penny to drop, it has, the bloke is ****ing superb in the here and now. Anyone looking to buy him should be aware they are trying to purchase the here and now, not the could be. The price should reflect that.