Tottenham Hotspur 2-2 West Ham Utd (22/02/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Boleyn Bill

Re: Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Boleyn Bill »

I cannot believe that anyone thinks the ref should've blown up immediately after the penalty was saved.... It was awarded by the referee with around 15 seconds of the 5 minutes of added time left. Remember also that the 5 minutes of added time is a minimum and we were doing a fair amount of time wasting during those 5 extra minutes (the ref seemed to put his hand on his watch to stop it a few times during added time). If the situation was reversed and the ref had blown up with us having just taken the penalty then we would be fuming (and rightly so IMO).

Think about taking the case to an extreme.... A side is winning 2-0 going into 5 minutes of added time. That team could just conceed a penalty and then spend the next 5 minutes arguing with the ref thus guaranteeing a win.

Anyway back to our performance - I thought that overall we did really well yesterday and probably about deserved to have won the game. Yes we got a bit lucky with Noble staying on the pitch when 9 times out of 10 he would've got a second yellow (with Vertonghen also getting booked), although had Noble gone I think we may have put in a real backs to the wall effort and hung on for the win. We were also a bit lucky with our second goal (surely when Valencia jumps for the cross he is offside?... .especially as Spurs' fullback was trying to play that same player offside?

But overall though I thought Sam's gameplan was excellent. We made Spurs's pressing game largely ineffective with our long ball game, putting it in behind Spurs' attacking fullbacks and getting Dier their less experienced centre half one on one and having to clear it out for throw ins or corners. It wasn't pretty but it was very effective, it stopped Spurs getting cheap possession of the ball in dangerous areas of our half and our own pressing game turned over the ball in good positions a few times.

Spurs had a lot more possession than us, along with probably twice as many attempts at goal, but my perception was that we carried a greater threat than them when we did get forward as their defence was a lot more stretched than ours due to us staying compact at the back and playing long ball. For the first 15 minutes or so I thought we were under lots of pressure and then the same again for the final 15 minutes or so, but for the hour in between we were very comfortable.

I thought that Reid did really well. He largely nullified Spurs' main threat in Kane (although even having a quiet game Kane still hit the post, put Rose in for a headed chance that he should've scored from and then won and converted the penalty). Kouyate was my MotM though, composed in midfield, worked hard and timed his run beautifully for our opening goal. He might be a good emergency centre half but we lose too much from our midfield when he drops back so I hope we never see him in defence again.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

What irks me and it really really does is all the Spurs supporters were laughing at our capitulatin rather than revelling in thier mastery with a £200 million team.We are so much better than that scoreline suggests and those ****ers know it.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Boleyn Bill wrote:I cannot believe that anyone thinks the ref should've blown up immediately after the penalty was saved.... It was awarded by the referee with around 15 seconds of the 5 minutes of added time left. Remember also that the 5 minutes of added time is a minimum and we were doing a fair amount of time wasting during those 5 extra minutes (the ref seemed to put his hand on his watch to stop it a few times during added time). If the situation was reversed and the ref had blown up with us having just taken the penalty then we would be fuming (and rightly so IMO).
Interesting point, i can't remember but did they restart the game with a West Ham kick off after the goal ?
Parksy
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Parksy »

Interesting to see where the referee was a junior player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_M ... referee%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gep

Post by Gep »

We utterly self destructed in that last 15min. I kept thinking when we got to the last 10min, do not concede!! Cos I knew for what ever reason they'll grab another. I'm more pissed at Adrians pre-jumping than Songs act of desperation rush of blood. I know both are to blame but Adrian got the ball rolling. That brainfart on gummyberry juice reminded me of that goal Rooney pulled off at home last season.
Norwich Iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Norwich Iron »

What should have happened as it did in the 81 League Cup Final, is that after the penalty was given the ref should have blown full time. That way the penalty kick is the last kick of the game with no rebounds. I thought he had done just that and was amazed when the goal stood
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Agree Billydinho, should've been captain for captain but if that really was BFS making some sort of point re not putting Nolan on then I'm afraid BFS should be out the door. Trouble is we'll never know the answer and so BFS will live to address the Nolan problem again next season. With the BinDippers, Mancs, Saints and Filth coming up in a row, three away from home, how many of us thought we'd lose only one? And how close we were to two wins. Definitely come a long way, we have, and only yesterday did we have our strongest lineup. :scarfer:
The Damaged One

Post by The Damaged One »

Getting rid of any manager who took us up at first time of asking, got the finishes we've had to this point in the PL and has us 8th in the league in his 4th season, with some sort of upward trajectory would be the most typical West Ham thing that could happen. It would also be a colossal mistake.

Look at the last clubs that let Sam go. The omens are not good.

Bolton: Sam resigns 19/04/2007 with the club 7th in the league and with Europa League Football. Club then limps to 13th at best the following 3 years before dropping out of the PL entirely, yet to return.
Newcastle: Sam Leaves in Jan 2008. Club is relegated the following season, but bounce back as they're a massive club.
Blackburn: Sacked Dec 2009. Relegated the following season. Haven't come back.

Stick. Let him stay and evolve the squad. Keep Sullivan's nose out of first team business and watch this team go places.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

Why am I reading their forum god they have awful fans most I bet are armchair supporters. They are up their with liverpool fans on RAWK
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

Norwich Iron wrote:What should have happened as it did in the 81 League Cup Final, is that after the penalty was given the ref should have blown full time. That way the penalty kick is the last kick of the game with no rebounds. I thought he had done just that and was amazed when the goal stood
This is what he should have done but he bottled it in front of the home crowd. He should have instructed the players that the PK would be the last kick of the game and that they should move away from the area.
There were no subs, goals, noticeable time wasting to warrant further extension of Fergie time. 30 seconds is about right for a goal kick.
I am a ref by the way.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

61dicksey wrote:What irks me and it really really does is all the Spurs supporters were laughing at our capitulatin rather than revelling in thier mastery with a £200 million team.We are so much better than that scoreline suggests and those ****ers know it.
Apparently it was our cup final!
They can't stand the fact we are so close to them. In all my lifetime I am yet to have a reasonable football debate with one of them and I have quite a few mates who support them. Their knowledge and outlook on football is embarrassing for a so called football side.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I'd have taken a 2-2 draw before the game, and although obviously a kick in the teeth to concede 2 in the last 10+ minutes of the game, I think we can be very proud of the performance.

For what it's worth we should actually have had an indirect free kick after Adrian saved the penalty.
Law 14

The players other than the kicker must be located:
inside the field of play
outside the penalty area
behind the penalty mark
at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the penalty mark
If the referee gives the signal for a penalty kick to be taken and, before the ball is in play, one of the following occurs:

a team-mate of the player taking the kick infringes the Laws of the Game:
the referee allows the kick to be taken
if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken
if the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and the match is restarted with an indirect free kick to the defending team from the place where the infringement occurred

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... shGsjgg.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I seem to remember a game we had a few years ago where a penalty was infringed a couple of times.
Welling

Post by Welling »

Although it has nearly been done to death already, I would go as far as saying that bringing on Cole for Noble was without doubt, one the worst West Ham substitutions in living memory.

If he didn't want to replace Noble with Nolan, then the obvious alternative was to bring on Collins and push Tomkins into midfield, who has played there reasonably successfully in the past.

For me that single substitution was the straw that broke the camels back.

I've never liked Allardyce, but accept he was the right man for the job at the time.

IMHO he has taken the team as far as he can and should not be offered a new contract.
Faliraki Hammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faliraki Hammer »

Another thing that annoyed me yesterday was that the ball was still moving when Spurs took the corner that led to their first goal!
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

taffhammer wrote:"Boleyn Bill"]I cannot believe that anyone thinks the ref should've blown up immediately after the penalty was saved.... It was awarded by the referee with around 15 seconds of the 5 minutes of added time left. Remember also that the 5 minutes of added time is a minimum and we were doing a fair amount of time wasting during those 5 extra minutes (the ref seemed to put his hand on his watch to stop it a few times during added time). If the situation was reversed and the ref had blown up with us having just taken the penalty then we would be fuming (and rightly so IMO).

Interesting point, i can't remember but did they restart the game with a West Ham kick off after the goal ?
Pretty sure that they didn't and they were well over the fiive minutes of extra time when Kane took the penalty, the clock doesnt stop in our game unlike the Americans and therefore any way you look at it the ref should have whistled for the kick and then called full time No way the rebound should have counted.
That would also have been the right result as Kane dived and even if the ref thought it may have been a 50/50 call he would have given him the penalty and thanks to Karma the cheating fcvvker missed it.
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

[quote="Faliraki Hammer"]Another thing that annoyed me yesterday was that the ball was still moving when Spurs took the corner that led to their first goal![/quote

We always point to the things that seem]ingly go against us but what about West ham's second goal being offside?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Westcliffspur wrote: We always point to the things that seemingly go against us but what about West ham's second goal being offside?
Not too much has gone against you this season to be fair fella
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Welling wrote:Although it has nearly been done to death already, I would go as far as saying that bringing on Cole for Noble was without doubt, one the worst West Ham substitutions in living memory.
I still can't get my head around it.

He's either made a massive and utterly bizarre mistake or he's done it to make some kind of underhand c***ish point to owners or fans regarding Nolan or Fletcher etc. The latter would be shockingly unprofessional and an absolute c**** trick so I hope its the former but its not good either way.

That said it was another great performance by the players and I'm confident we're going to smash Palace all over the park on Saturday. :scarfer:
Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill »

taffhammer wrote:Interesting point, i can't remember but did they restart the game with a West Ham kick off after the goal ?
Harry Hound wrote:Pretty sure that they didn't and they were well over the fiive minutes of extra time when Kane took the penalty, the clock doesnt stop in our game unlike the Americans and therefore any way you look at it the ref should have whistled for the kick and then called full time No way the rebound should have counted.
That would also have been the right result as Kane dived and even if the ref thought it may have been a 50/50 call he would have given him the penalty and thanks to Karma the cheating fcvvker missed it.
I think we did kick off again after the goal, but could be wrong?

Also, as I said before, the ref was well within his rights to play more than 5 minutes of added time as we were doing a fair amount of time wasting during the second half and, indeed, the 5 mins of added time itself.
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

I'm still waiting for Cardiff here we come to answer the question that has been asked by two posters with a simple yes or no.

He's skirted the question on both occasions with answers that a politician would be proud of.

As for yesterday. Gutted that we couldn't hold out for the win but so proud of the effort the lads put in.

The way the Spurs fans next to us were celebrating at the end, you'd have thought they'd won the league. And the old bint in the hat & scarf complaining to the OB that we were 'racists' was really funny. Especially as the copper she complained to was stood right next to the lads she was accusing and would have heard everything.

Outside afterwards, the Spurs guy in the green jacket giving it large. He was nearly arrested. And one of my lot walking right up to them whilst pointing at a pile of horse **** shouting "see that? That's you lot that is" And a copper agreeing with him,which they didn't take too kindly to.

The boys done good.