20 minute walk from the station..?!?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e10hammer

Re: 20 minute walk from the station..?!?

Post by e10hammer »

Interesting to see on bbc website there will be a queueing system in place to stratford station after the athletics, should give an indication of what will.be in place for football.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

e10hammer wrote:Interesting to see on bbc website there will be a queueing system in place to stratford station after the athletics, should give an indication of what will.be in place for football.
Have you got the link for that?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

WHU_Del wrote:It has just been announced that you'll be able to use Oyster/contactless pay-as-you-go between St Pancras and Stratford International from next week:
Is it included in your common or garden annual/monthly/weekly/daily travelcard? Or is it like the Emirates airline and riverboat services where you have to pay the fare on top
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Gavrosh
Sorry I am a bit of a dinosaur regarding posting links and photos, but if you go to the main BBC site scroll down to London live click on this and scroll down to 9.15.... I have some great photos of the stadium Sunday but don't have the knowledge to post them.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Queuing system in place after Anniversary Games event

BBC Travel
Posted at 09:15
Tube lines and DLR lines will be busy to and from Stratford Park between 17:00-19:00 tonight for crowds travelling to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park for the Anniversary Games.

Olympic Stadium
Getty Images
A queuing system will be in place in Stratford after 22:00 for crowd control after the event.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

WHU_Del wrote:It has just been announced that you'll be able to use Oyster/contactless pay-as-you-go between St Pancras and Stratford International from next week:
Rio wrote:
Is it included in your common or garden annual/monthly/weekly/daily travelcard? Or is it like the Emirates airline and riverboat services where you have to pay the fare on top
As far as I can tell, it does NOT include Travelcards. I'll find out more when I get back to work tomorrow.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

I wonder what they are going to do during the busy shopping times like at Christmas.

You could have 50,000+ football fans + double that shopping at Westfield all leaving around the same time.

Mind you come 2018 with crossrail it will be far easier.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Rio wrote:
WHU_Del wrote: As far as I can tell, it does NOT include Travelcards. I'll find out more when I get back to work tomorrow.
To confirm, it is as Rio stated, Travelcards will NOT be vaild on HighSpeed services from St Pancras to Stratford, you will still need to pay the fare but can now do so with Oyster or contactless card.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

What was the queing system they had in place and how long did it take from exiting the stadium to platform at Stratford, also was pudding mill station open after?
Bubble 'N' Cheek

Post by Bubble 'N' Cheek »

I was on the Jubilee line train within 15 minutes of leaving the stadium.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

e10hammer wrote:What was the queing system they had in place and how long did it take from exiting the stadium to platform at Stratford, also was pudding mill station open after?
Took us 50 mins to get from stadium to Central Line eastbound - total nightmare! 3 stewards standing with cardboard stop/go signs on bridge exiting the stadium - can't see a football crowd being as patient as the athletic crowd today. They also sent us the long way round to get to the station. This is totally unacceptable for my dad who will be 85 when we go to the OS next season - whilst not disabled he has limited mobility and the long trek they are currently enforcing back to the station just won't work for him. Getting a bit worried now.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

BMLGirl wrote:Took us 50 mins to get from stadium to Central Line eastbound - total nightmare! 3 stewards standing with cardboard stop/go signs on bridge exiting the stadium - can't see a football crowd being as patient as the athletic crowd today. They also sent us the long way round to get to the station. This is totally unacceptable for my dad who will be 85 when we go to the OS next season - whilst not disabled he has limited mobility and the long trek they are currently enforcing back to the station just won't work for him. Getting a bit worried now.
We went out of the OS South of the Orbit to get into Stratford, but they'd fenced off access towards Pudding Mill Lane and had stewards to stop access to Carpenters Road. Sending everyone along Mountfichet Road to the station.

I can understand managing the crowds heading towards the station, but limiting other routes out just means more people going towards the station.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

I think some of us might have mentioned this would happen.
Still once you get to Stratford you've got about ten railway lines to choose from.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Must have been surprising for those who expected to walk out of the stadium and be on trains within minutes, what is puzzling is BML girl and her dad were sent on a diversion which took 50mins and bubble "N" cheek was on a jubilee line train within 15 mins, depends on how early you leave I suppose
Pop
How long did it take you?
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

e10hammer wrote:Must have been surprising for those who expected to walk out of the stadium and be on trains within minutes, what is puzzling is BML girl and her dad were sent on a diversion which took 50mins and bubble "N" cheek was on a jubilee line train within 15 mins, depends on how early you leave I suppose
Pop
How long did it take you?
30mins roughly we where heading to the High St for a beer and not the Station but ended up that way, the main drag from the stadium looked like a loads of zombies shuffling along !
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

wrong thread
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

BMLGirl wrote:Took us 50 mins to get from stadium to Central Line eastbound - total nightmare! 3 stewards standing with cardboard stop/go signs on bridge exiting the stadium - can't see a football crowd being as patient as the athletic crowd today. They also sent us the long way round to get to the station. This is totally unacceptable for my dad who will be 85 when we go to the OS next season - whilst not disabled he has limited mobility and the long trek they are currently enforcing back to the station just won't work for him. Getting a bit worried now.
There's a mobility scooter station half way toward the stadium. Next time get your dad on that. I had to use one during the Olympic as I'd just snapped my cruciate and it was good fun.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Pop Robson wrote:We went out of the OS South of the Orbit to get into Stratford, but they'd fenced off access towards Pudding Mill Lane and had stewards to stop access to Carpenters Road. Sending everyone along Mountfichet Road to the station.

I can understand managing the crowds heading towards the station, but limiting other routes out just means more people going towards the station.

They can try to stop people going via Carpenters Road back to the pubs, but they wont try for long. Minimum wage stewards will have no chance against hundreds of West Ham fans desperate for a beer.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

The shepherding towards Stratford yesterday was expected, but don't think it would be typical of a home game. Simple reason is that it isn't a West Ham crowd, it was a public event for an audience who largely travelled into Stratford via the station. Our home support will be drifting in via the likes of Bow, Hackney etc. etc.

My only whinge was being denied access to the toilets at Stratford International

The time taken from the stadium to Stratord International DLR was 20 minutes with a little bit of stop/ start. Quicker and more civil than Twickenham. On a par with Upton Park. It's going to take longer to get to pubs, but that's because there's none in the direct vicinity
Bubble 'N' Cheek

Post by Bubble 'N' Cheek »

I was on the east side of the stadium about 4 rows from the back of the lower tier so even though i stayed to the end (although i left before they set off the fireworks) exiting the stadium was very quick. Obviously if you are around the other side of the stadium it will take a lot longer.

Took me 30 mins to get back to Upminster.