Arsenal 0-2 West Ham Utd (09/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by White Goodman »

Hayden wrote:Kouyate MOTM for me
And me.

I wasn't convinced by him last year and gave him some proper stick but definitely wrong about him.

Looks like an absolute boss.
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

Petr Cech is a great signing for Arsenal but I do not expect him to have much to do against the Hammers.

Good old Lawro!!!
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

What a day.

Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Huge slice of humble pie from me. Not cos we smashed the gooners on their own soil but more so cos of the players I've dismissed as not fit for purpose.

Noble - I haven't quite slaughtered him but I did think he'd be looking over his shoulders this season. He was immense. Especially after the early card.
Zarate - I still think he is a bit greedy but that side of him seems to have been calmed down a bit and he is actually looking at options around him now.
Nolan - was superb when he came on. Seemed to roll back the years and actually had a little bit of zip when required. Actually have to admit that I think we'd be foolish to let him go - he is ideal for last 15/20 in games.
Jarvis - came on and tightened things up. Nothing spectacular but didn't let himself to the team down.
Maiga - even poor old Modibo did his bit when he cam on. Fair play.

It struck me that Bilic has given the team an almighty dose of self belief. Maybe this new positive attitude will roll the years back for a few players. No more hit and hope hot potato nonsense. Noble in particular today looked like he had the shackles removed. He was pinging balls all over the place. Fantastic.

As much as I was criticising our squad the other day (and of course Rome wasn't built in a day) - this result was achieved without our £30m strike force ! We have all allowed ourselves to get carried away a bit in the past me included but it seems like Slaven has instilled something with this lot. 2 or 3 more additions and I think we could be about to witness something a bit special.

Who was it said the other day that the players were laughing at Bilic's training methods ? That really looked like a team who didn't believe in the manager out there !! :crest:
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

mickeymacavennie wrote:Just arrived in Hong Kong. Loving a Wan Chai bar full of soft Arsenal ex-pats and local hangers on. Shirt off when the second went in.

Bet that is the Irish bar where I got rohypnol'd last year.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Is there a fire drill?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

HoppyHammer wrote:Petr Cech is a great signing for Arsenal but I do not expect him to have much to do against the Hammers.

Good old Lawro!!!
Being fair he did hardly touch the ball :lol:
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Holding onto a lead by keeping the ball instead of 10 men behind the ball was a joy to see today. That was modern football today with hard work, great defending and flair.
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

the celestial insect wrote:The reverse curse of the crap pre-season strikes again!
Ain't that the truth, we seem to work in reverse but I'm not going to knock it!! :crest:
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

If the pundits are saying that Arsenal didn't play well today, maybe it's because we didn't allow them to. Great all round team performance.
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

Being fair he did hardly touch the ball :lol:[/quote]

ONLY TO PICK THE BALL OUT FROM THE BACK OF THE NET !!!
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

What a day in the away end. Still buzzing.

Payet out of this world, Kouayte bossed it. Oxford shone, Noble took the piss at times. What a strong back 4 as well, Tomkins had a great game out of position.

Zarate was used perfectly today. Fair play to the lad, he was a match winner. I think Slav could see the right time to take him off to protect the team. If they can work on him giving the ball at the right times a bit better he'll be a major asset for us. Credit where it's due.

What about the mouthy Arsenal lad next to us who slagged off their players all the way through and then disappeared for 20 minutes in the second half. Very odd. Kept screaming THEO WALCOTT PLEASE.

There was big pressure on the manager and team after Thursday, and boy did they deliver.

Well done super Slav and team :thup:
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

Believer wrote:Huge slice of humble pie from me. Not cos we smashed the gooners on their own soil but more so cos of the players I've dismissed as not fit for purpose.

Noble - I haven't quite slaughtered him but I did think he'd be looking over his shoulders this season. He was immense. Especially after the early card.
Zarate - I still think he is a bit greedy but that side of him seems to have been calmed down a bit and he is actually looking at options around him now.
Nolan - was superb when he came on. Seemed to roll back the years and actually had a little bit of zip when required. Actually have to admit that I think we'd be foolish to let him go - he is ideal for last 15/20 in games.
Jarvis - came on and tightened things up. Nothing spectacular but didn't let himself to the team down.
Maiga - even poor old Modibo did his bit when he cam on. Fair play.

It struck me that Bilic has given the team an almighty dose of self belief. Maybe this new positive attitude will roll the years back for a few players. No more hit and hope hot potato nonsense. Noble in particular today looked like he had the shackles removed. He was pinging balls all over the place. Fantastic.

As much as I was criticising our squad the other day (and of course Rome wasn't built in a day) - this result was achieved without our £30m strike force ! We have all allowed ourselves to get carried away a bit in the past me included but it seems like Slaven has instilled something with this lot. 2 or 3 more additions and I think we could be about to witness something a bit special.

Who was it said the other day that the players were laughing at Bilic's training methods ? That really looked like a team who didn't believe in the manager out there !! :crest:
Great post
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

I'm chuffed for Zarate. He was getting seriously on my tits with not releasing the ball but then pulled a rabbit out of the hat, a second goal that we really needed - I guess Zarate (and other players like him) can frustrate but they can also pull something out of nothing.

Chuffed to bits for the lad.
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

whizzer wrote: He who dares BH, he who dares :scarfer:
Agiter avant de boire my man
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

-DL- wrote:
, because it could be said that without the foundations he [ Allardyce ] laid, today may never have happened.

Aside from Oxford and Payet and Ogbonna, that was Allardyce's team out there.
Absolutely , well said - a lot of people have helped us get where we are today , I am convinced we have the right man in Slaven Bilic to develop us even further to the sort of team we have all been clamouring for , why another few wins like this one and we will be singing ' Slaven Bilic's Claret 'n Blue Army ' - just you wait ! :D
Tesh Di Canio

Post by Tesh Di Canio »

Best thing about this result - there'll be some absolute YouTube gold on Arsenal Fan TV later!

COYI :scarfer:
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Beat Arsenal - tick
Don't get anyone sent off - tick
Use the kids - tick
Don't try to defend a slender lead - tick
Don't concede in the last five minutes - tick
Don't make stupid substitutions - tick

:scarfer:
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
we will be singing ' Slaven Bilic's Claret 'n Blue Army ' - just you wait ! :D
I'm sure I heard that over the TV today already TOMOS.