West Ham Utd 3-4 AFC Bournemouth (22/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by Oldun »

Del I could find loads of seasons to emphasise the point including last season but it's a waste of time because of all the people who already know where we are to finish and it's only August 22nd
kesh

Post by kesh »

Trap1 wrote:The meltdown on here is ridiculous.

We have a new manger, coaching staff and playing system. Our start points wise, is as per normal and we have still some recruiting to do. Despite this, we have people clearly stating we are in serious trouble on August 22nd. A great example of this knicker wetting is the comments about Randolph. The poor bloke has been with us for six weeks and people want to sell him.

As for the owners, they have their hands tied to a certain extent with respect to our agreement over the Olympic stadium. People may not like it but the likely reality is that we are in the final phase of a huge gamble which, if it pays off, will see two honorary presidents and a multi billionaire in the next twelve months.

Donald Trump?
Stumpy

Post by Stumpy »

relegated...anyone who has watched this bollox,live as i have through the euro shambles and,last 2 home games.We know, we been there so many times,we are ****ed,Billic,.. bloke is a joke,west ham way, is we move in to OS as a relegated team.Utter chaos,shocking tatics and choices,DOOMED.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

I would say that a team playing to a reasonable premiership standard would be disappointed to conceed any of those seven goals today, appalling defending all round.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

OllyWHU6 wrote:
Under every manager you get tonkings, we had a bad day in so many different areas of the pitch to lose by only one goal isn't the worst thing that's ever happened. We have a week to fix this, hopefully bring in a new striker by next week (maybe delusional), and confirm Song. A win next week however unlikely, puts us exactly where many would have expected us to be by that stage. Just with two enjoyable away days instead of two expected home wins.
A striker will not fix that 'mess'

Goals were not the problem today but awful defending. That's what I can't understand, that's been our strength the last few seasons.....what has happened?
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Maiga was actually flagged offside twice as he was warming up ,I thought they were both harsh decisions .
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Oldun wrote:I said earlier,Christmas is a time I will have a better idea.
I have watched a lot of seasons,and not many have been settled in the first few months,I have seen good starts turn bad and bad starts turn good,my first 2 games at home was a 1-4 defeat to Wolves and a 1-6 to Spurs,we was under a fairly new manager who was putting his own stamp on us,the rest is history as they say.
WHU_Del wrote: Amen.
First three games in '85-'86? Lost 1-0 at home to Birmingham, won 3-1 at home to QPR and lost 1-0 at home to Luton. We didn't win again until 14th September...
Which also sounds remarkably similar to last season - the season where everyone believes we were brilliant for the whole first half of it.

It's a shame that reasoned and balanced views on here are in such a minority. The majority have become products of the media. Anyway, that's me done for the night on here. I'm going to open a bottle of wine now and watch Interstellar.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

VictoriaParkHammer wrote:I wonder if we'd conceded 4 at home to Bournemouth under Sam
I wondered if we'd have scored 3 at home under Sam?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I enjoyed it. More fun than in the last 8 months anyway.

I thought it was obvious early on that our fullbacks were exposed. Playing a heap of central players in front of them was always going to leave them under pressure. Bournemouth's front 3 ran at them all day and we still lack width in midfield and a second striker.

Ritchie was MOTM by a country mile and good luck to Howe and the Cherries, they played with real verve.

I too was taken aback at how impatient the crowd were. Expectations are unrealistically high which I put down to all the chat coming out of our boardroom as much as anything else. I've honestly no idea what will happen to us this season which is quite exciting.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

As usual I have little to contribute because I don't see the games.

Could someone please tell me how Obiang seems to be shaping up so far?

Cheers!
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: A striker will not fix that 'mess'

Goals were not the problem today but awful defending. That's what I can't understand, that's been our strength the last few seasons.....what has happened?
Go on I know you want someone to say it for you,it's because we have got rid of ................................................. SAM.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Oldun wrote:Maiga was actually flagged offside twice as he was warming up ,I thought they were both harsh decisions .
:lol:
BMU.WIC

Post by BMU.WIC »

I'm not ready to say we're heading for a relegation battle, but that was one unexpected win followed by two unexpected defeats. My old man would say "You have to win your home games" and he is right. We're not doing that, so instead of testing the reflexes of my knees, I'll try my best to give a post-mortem. Yes, I now watch most of our games on the box so I'll never have the sharpness of like it was watching from the BMU.

It is clear to me that too much pressure is being placed on the full-backs to do too much work. They are essentially wing-backs who must almost traverse from byline to byline. They have the fitness for this but not the positional awareness (very few do) and it, for my money, is a tactical error when you have opposing teams which have specified wide midfielders or wingers. As we saw last week with Mahrez, as we saw today as well.

Packing a narrow diamond midfield is all well and good when you're up against a strong midfield and expect to spend most of the game in your own half anyway like Arsenal away, but to not have the extra width of our own widemen is suicidal against mid-table to lower-table teams. Slaven needs to sort this out right away or we'll be murdered on a regular basis.

What to do? As I see it, you go one of two ways, one far more aggressive than the other. The aggressive option is to have a back three and push the full-backs up to a 'classic' wing-back position, but that also means that you release them from the duties of tracking back as much as they must with the current formation. I wouldn't suggest doing this against a Manchester City for example, since you're likely to get murdered at the back. On the other hand, against Leicester, packing a wider midfield with defensively-minded wing-backs may well have nullified the joy they was getting down the flanks. The other option, which is where I'd expect Slaven to look based on past performance is to use wingers. We have a dearth of quality there which probably explains the reluctance. I do like the idea of pushing Cresswell and Jenkinson (but after today would be inclined to drop him) up into left and right midfield respectively, since at least he demonstrated today he can both take a man on as well as deliver a wicked cross from the byline.

I'd be tempted to try this out in the Capital One Cup to see if this can provide any answers if Slav doesn't want to rock the boat, but something has to be done about the lack of width. To answer the criticism of my selection is technically playing with four centre backs, I think both Tomkins and what little I've seen of Ogbonna fills me with confidence they play the full-back role well enough.

---------------------Adrian/Randolph---------------------
Tomkins---------Collins---------Reid--------Ogbonna
--------------------Kouyate------Noble--------------------
Jenkinson/Obiang----------------------------Cresswell
---------------------------Payet------------------------------
---------------------------Sakho-----------------------------

When we can play with two strikers, sacrifice one defensive midfielder for the frontman.

Or do I need to lay off the acid? :scarfer:
Last edited by BMU.WIC on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

woodywoody wrote:GET A GRIP - I see all Sams boyfriends are waving their flag early, Let's see if you are more apologetic if and when we start moving up the table. :scarfer:
Do one you utter tosser, Sam would never have lost to Leicester AND Bournemouth at home.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Why can't people speak to each other like they would face to face? Just debate the issues, you're adults ffs
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

whizzer wrote:
Do one you utter tosser, Sam would never have lost to Leicester AND Bournemouth at home.
Sam would never have beaten Arsenal away.

See how fun this picking and choosing stats b*llocks is?

Bilic, like Sam, has not been provided with adequate funds for an adequate squad. We lack in some of the most important parts of the pitch, and to add to that, the defence are playing like c****.

Not sure why we keep having an Allardyce v Bilic debate.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

I have already told them whizzer be careful what you wish for.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Ah well...you win some, you lose some.

Nevermind, we'll put it right away at Liverpool!!!
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Sign Song and get him in the side with Noble, CK and Obiang...we don't have anywhere near enough defensive midfielders in the team....