Watford 2-0 West Ham Utd (31/10/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by thejackhammer »

They'll don't concede many and often defend well, which is why we'll need as many 'something from nothing' players as possible. For this reason id start with Payet, Lanzini and Zarate behind Sakho.

Sakho to run then ragged with his pace and work rate allowing space for the players with magic in their boots. Another Zarate goal from distance in the first half and a late goal from an Andy Carroll assist to seal a two goal victory and keep us in the top 3.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

this lot have loads of pace, really good on the break, and overall have had a great start to the season

ive been reading all sorts of comments, especially on facebook about how we are going to butcher them....I cant see it happening...sunderland were the whipping boys of the division...we were 2-0 down there after 20 mins

watched them v arsenal, 0-3 massively flattered the gooners...on another day, Watford win the match

we have been superb this season, but silly mistakes and lapses in concentration have cost us bigttime on some occasions, and other times we really have rode our luck defensively....we have to be on it on saturday

i have no idea which way this will go...i will go for 1-2 irons, but wont be surprised if were on the end of a shoeing...
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by James P »

Watford have scored one goal at home this season.

ONE.

if we concede we want shooting. If it's 0-0 with us knocking on a firm door all game than so be it. Otherwise we have to be winning.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

frankiemac wrote:
ive been reading all sorts of comments, especially on facebook about how we are going to butcher them....I cant see it happening...sunderland were the whipping boys of the division...we were 2-0 down there after 20 mins
Exactly. Only idiots seriously predict 4 and 5 -nil wallopings; when does that EVER come true? The Sunderland game wasn't long ago, but Slav needs to remind them of that again and again. Drop our intensity just slightly from the Chelski game, and this lot will do us. Play close to our potential and we'll extend our unbeaten run.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

-DL- wrote:
It's not like either of them did anything memorable. If anything, the period that they were at the club is a point in our history I'd rather forget.
Diamanti's superb free kick against Birmingham was memorable as was his celebration. His left foot is magic but his right might as well not be there! Sorry DL i bloody love the bloke i wish he'd of come back to us :scarfer:
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

James P wrote:Watford have scored one goal at home this season.

ONE.
Will inevitably score a few on Saturday then.........have they any strikers who hav'nt scored for 18 months?
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Thank god Deeney scored last week, he would have been nailed on to get his first ever premier league goal against us. We were poor against sunderland because we were trying to attack them and left noble isolated early on, Billic learnt his lesson and has subsequently put Kouyate as the deepest player now and I can't see Watford causing us the early problems that Sunderland did, hoping for a 2-0 win, they won't come at us as their manager has a very pragmatic approach so I expect us to pin them back for a fair period of the game and Carroll could be perfect for this game.

I would quite like to see Carroll up top, Payet and Sakho wide, Zarate at number 10 (or switch with payet) and Lanzini and Kouyate deep, will never happen though.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

James P wrote:
if we concede we want shooting. .
James, thats a bit of a daft statement I would say.
James P

Post by James P »

mushy wrote:James, thats a bit of a daft statement I would say.
What do you mean?

They've been toothless at home. Four of five visitors have come away from Vicarage Road with a clean sheet. Why shouldn't we?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

:lol: James we are West Ham ffs. You sound like a Chelsea fan

If Watford don't score at home to West Ham they deserve a bullet far more than us if we conceded
James P

Post by James P »

Not at all. Trust me, nine seasons out of ten I'd be the one calling for perspective and be toeing the "away games are never easy, can't be overconfident" line. But this season is different. We have in my opinion the best squad we've had in 30 years. We're seeing this in a number results. You know which ones. It's just a shame we're slacking off and not following up great wins against strong sides with wins against weaker sides.

I think we're considerably better than Watford and I think we're also better than other teams who have kept a clean sheet in Zone 9. Why shouldn't we demand that we match their achievements? It's about time our defence started matching the performances of our attackers. It's about time we consolidated fantastic victories with wins against the lesser lights.

If we allow Watford to score and we fail to bring back three points I would hope Bilic would look long and hard at why we can't match other teams defensively.
POP POP POP Robson
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by POP POP POP Robson »

I can't see many goals in this game but we are scoring in every game at the moment. So I'm going with Watford to score a dodgy awarded penalty followed by them shutting up shop and us to get a very late Sakho equaliser. 1 -1
ireland hammer

Post by ireland hammer »

Looking forward to this COYI ..see ye at the meet lads me and the boys on the 0700 flight from cork :scarfer:...... Will be on it early ,,,,,
Hans Klopek

Post by Hans Klopek »

I live in Didcot. It's not really near Watford.

My friend is a Watford fan and said that Troy Deeney will score and they will win.

I said that they wouldn't win even if they had Luther Blissett. Ha Ha Ha

But seriously, Deeney is a decent player and if he gets into numerous dangerous positions, he may score.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Hans, I live in Aylesbury, it's less than 30 miles away from Didcot. We should totally meet up and have some dinner sometime, I'm buying.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

To be honest, I would not be disappointed with a draw from this game.
Watford will easily stay up and be in mid-table at the end of the season. Deeney-Ighalo will be one of the tougher strike partnerships we face this year.
People who reckon we will beat them by a cricket score are just waiting to be bought crashing back down to earth, me thinks.

1-1 draw, Payet for us.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2502 likes
Total likes: 4407 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'd expect Slaven to tell Kouyate to sit five yards in front of Deeney to stop the long ball into him.

Their goals have largely been about that or the application of pressure on opposition back lines. There is no sign of tremendous guile, nor of a heightened set play goal threat.

It would be very disappointing not to take three points. Watford, a bit like us, look more comfortable away from home.

I'd leave Zarate out and put either Carroll or Moses in.

First goal always seems to be critical. If they get it, they will be able to play to Ighalo and Deeney on the break which will make them more potent.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Can I come Hans and fj I live in Witney ?
us to win 2-1 tomorrow
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

Wish I had a ticket for this
Nick_
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Nick_ »

This fixture makes me very nervous, and I wouldn't blame Slav for setting up more tentatively than previous matches.

But the age of 4-4-2 is returning, so I wouldn't mind seeing Sakho and Carroll playing together up front.