FAC4: Liverpool 0-0 West Ham Utd (30/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer Matty
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham United: FAC4 Match Thread

Post by Hammer Matty »

Payet will have a field day against their defence :lol:
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

They're gonna stuff us 6-0 aren't they.
since86

Post by since86 »

Have learnt from past experience that my heart always rules my head when predicting our results. Each year I think it's our year, but I do think, and we have definitely seen, that we can take anyone on our day. I hope we start fast, shut the crowd UP, and ride out the inevitable 2nd half hairy moments.

2-0, Collins MOTM.

:scarfer:
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Have to say this is the worst Liverpool side I've ever seen. I'm too confident about Saturday which is worrying.
Hammer in Split

Post by Hammer in Split »

And it's not like they are easy to avoid when watching footy on TV.
They have been live NINE times in the last 28 days!

Its not like they are easy on the eye these days!
brun61

Post by brun61 »

we need a strong ref for this otherwise Payet will be done, Flannagan got 2 of Stokes penalty takers taken off last night, throw in Allen and a few others, we could be kicked out of the game unless the ref steps in early. Saying that we are more than capable of beating them
fredjstanley

Post by fredjstanley »

Best case scenario for us was Liverpool winning on pens. 120 minutes to knacker all their first team players and a cup final to look forward to, hopefully leading to Klopp taking the sensible option and playing the reserves on Saturday. Especially with another set of midweek league games next week! :scarfer:
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Anyone know what the latest is on Tomkins' injury situation?

And, if it's a draw at full time, does it go to extra time/penalties or straight to a replay?

And finally, I hope someone has pointed out to the secretary that Sam Byram played in an earlier round for Leeds :D
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

The good news for us is they just had a tiring extra time and penalties match last night. Shame it was Tuesday rather than Wednesday.

Even better that they're in the LC final really, which makes them more likely to field a weakened team Saturday.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

sendô wrote:The good news for us is they just had a tiring extra time and penalties match last night. Shame it was Tuesday rather than Wednesday.

Even better that they're in the LC final really, which makes them more likely to field a weakened team Saturday.
Not sure tiredness will be a factor and I can't imagine why he won't field a strong team either. But they didn't look great did they? If we can avoid the very predictable early 'pressing' charge then we should be ok.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Of course tiredness will be a factor.

3-4 days extra rest. 120 minutes in the high stakes round of a cup playing Klopps style of football. Last night was ideal. If they'd lost you could have perhaps expected a reaction on Saturday but the fact they were fairly pitiful and won is even better. Skank their way to a cup final and believe their own hype. Superb. Play your first choice team or the kids Jurgen. Neither of them is particularly daunting.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 435 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

We'll also rotate the squad, given we're playing Villa on Tuesday. I wouldn't be upset to see:

4-1-4-1: Randolph; Tomkins, Reid, Ogbonna, Cresswell; Obiang; Moses, Kouyaté, Noble, Antonio; Jelavic.
Subs: Adrian, Collins, Oxford, Chambers, Song, Payet, Valencia.

A bit defensive because taking them to a replay will hurt them more than us.
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

fredjstanley wrote:Best case scenario for us was Liverpool winning on pens. 120 minutes to knacker all their first team players and a cup final to look forward to, hopefully leading to Klopp taking the sensible option and playing the reserves on Saturday. Especially with another set of midweek league games next week! :scarfer:
Absolutely this – they will have one eye on their cup final now and they are so deluded they still think they can make the top 4
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Swiss Pauli wrote:We'll also rotate the squad, given we're playing Villa on Tuesday. I wouldn't be upset to see:

4-1-4-1: Randolph; Tomkins, Reid, Ogbonna, Cresswell; Obiang; Moses, Kouyaté, Noble, Antonio; Jelavic.
Subs: Adrian, Collins, Oxford, Chambers, Song, Payet, Valencia.

A bit defensive because taking them to a replay will hurt them more than us.
I honestly think there's more chance of Bilic resting players in the Villa game rather than the Liverpool one. Can't see him going anything other than full strength for this.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by James P »

Kev59 wrote:And, if it's a draw at full time, does it go to extra time/penalties or straight to a replay?
Straight to replay
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by James P »

Swiss Pauli wrote:A bit defensive because taking them to a replay will hurt them more than us.
Sod that.

They're going to have some tiredness. Almost certainly going to rotate their team. They're playing poorly at present. Let's just go and grab the opportunity and get them beat.

If we go into this game with the mindset that a draw will be alright then I reckon we won't see the fifth round.
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

James P wrote:If we go into this game with the mindset that a draw will be alright then I reckon we won't see the fifth round.
Exactly mate – lets just go up there and get the job done
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

Martin Atkinson is the ref for this one.

So far this season he has ref'd our games away at Arsenal and Bournemouth (both wins to WHU) and our home draw against West Brom. This season he hasn't issued any red cards - yet.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Given the way they defend I'd be tempted to put Ginge up top and just keep punting balls up to him.
Hammer+iron=me

Post by Hammer+iron=me »

We should play the strongest team possible on Saturday and then same again on Tuesday, We have the squad to win the game by half time vs villa then we can start introducing fresh legs to sure it up.

Only concern is who plays RB if Tomkins is not fit?