Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Side of Ham

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Side of Ham »

Crouchend i'm staggered many people put themselves over as some sort of authority on who is decent or not without any qualification in said profession.All i observe is that no matter how many they put round him in certain footballing situations like set plays he still manages to either have the guile to make sure he's up against the least competent at dealing with crosses or takes them all on and holds his own.

To me at those sorts of situation it makes him unplayable, just like Cottee was unplayable in the six yard box or one on ones.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

61dicksey wrote:Will Andy be sitting on the sofa with Jack Collison and Dean Ashton on goals on Sunday before long. ? :cry:
Yeah bloody sad to watch isn't it?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ozza wrote:Thought the write up from Slav in the papers today was great.

It seems to me that in the main the same people on here generally who dig Carroll out also dig out most of other players etc. Same old same old in my view
nope. No others for me
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Jaybs saves his posts across the entire forum exclusively for Carroll :D
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

sutts07 wrote:There is also the option of sending him to China (if he will go) for 55m quid or whatever stupid price they are willing to pay over there!
8-)
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Whatever anybody thinks of him we are stuck with him. Nobody in there right mind would buy him from us unless we practically gave him away. His body just doesn't seem to be able to cope with the demands of professional football. It's a real shame as there is a good player in there imo. If he could stay fit for say 90% of the season he would easily get into double figures (10-15) goals wise. Never gonna happen though :(
Welling

Post by Welling »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
nope. No others for me
Jarvis?
:wink:
Crouchend_Hammer

ha Current players!
Welling

Post by Welling »

:hush:
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Whatever you think of Andy the opposition seem to be frightened of him, two of the goals today they doubled up on him, he attracted two which left Diafra Sako one on one and didn’t he finish it well and then the winner he again had two go to him but this time he won his header and the rest is history. If only he can keep fit.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

3 players were marking him for Sakho's header...3!!!!

The third drops off as the ball enters the box but he's totally lost and doesn't have time to pick any of our other players up.

And what a great knock down for Sakho's super flick.

The lad is changing games in our favour time after time from the bench. I'm happy to keep it that way. We'd be mad to let him go IF he's happy with his role and we can afford him which we undoubtedly can given our revenue from next season.
Crouchend_Hammer

He is useful to come on when we are losing and need goals. In those situations we normally throw men forward and sling a lot of balls in the box and defences are tired. Works well, especially when opponents are down to 10 men ie Chelsea, palace, Everton.
I don't think anyone has a problem with using him in that way, but the discussion is a) is it the best use of our cash b) will he want to do that limited role? For most of the second half he was running around like a headless chicken, only when we got sakho on and went more direct did it come off as he doesn't have to worry about movement
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

As someone who has given him countless amounts of stick, he's changing games and gives us a very different and very good second option.

If he's happy to come off the bench, (and more importantly is fit to be on the bench) then he's a good option to keep, albeit expensive.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

It's to Slavs eternal credit, & his players, that he's spent a large part of the season having the likes of Zarate, Payet & Antonio scoring, while having the likes of Jelly, Enner & now Emenike cover the forward spot, to varying degrees of success - Emenike is similar to Jelly for me, a substitute level player for a top half team, but one who at least gets into positions that help the team

How good must it feel then to finally have both Carroll & Sakho coming back? Proper premier league strikers. Two players we've never really seen at their best at the same time for us?

There were glimpses yesterday of just how much they could add to this incredible season. Payet suddenly had two international class forwards to float balls at, to link with

If they can stay fit, for me Carroll & Sakho are potentially as good as any forward partnership in the top 6
Crouchend_Hammer

But if we play a top 2 then we have to change the way we set - up and cannot get lanzini, Antonio and payet in the same team. For me that negates all the progression we have made in terms of the type of football we play
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:But if we play a top 2 then we have to change the way we set - up and cannot get lanzini, Antonio and payet in the same team. For me that negates all the progression we have made in terms of the type of football we play
I'd trust Slav to make it work. There's literally no indication that he's stuck in a rigid tactical mindset where only one option will work, that's in the past for this club now.

& if it doesn't work, he's clearly a manager who wouldn't consistently try to shoehorn players in based on their names anyway. Alex Song's spot on the bench after that wasn't working proves that
Crouchend_Hammer

I'd trust Slav to make it work. There's literally no indication that he's stuck in a rigid tactical mindset where only one option will work, that's in the past for this club now.

& if it doesn't work, he's clearly a manager who wouldn't consistently try to shoehorn players in based on their names anyway. Alex Song's spot on the bench after that wasn't working proves that
Fair enough. We will need to agree to disagree. Got no problemo with chucking Carroll on if we are chasing a game and want to go more direct with longer passes and lots of crosses etc. Never a starter for me in a million years. Much prefer the ball on the deck approach with Payet, Lanzini, Antonio all buzzing round a mobile striker with great movement. If we can upgrade on sakho to a lukaku or a kane we would be right up there
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

In with Crouchend, Carroll is not a starter, Lanzini, Payet and Antonio have to be starting with Sakho as the striker, from his limited time on the pitch yesterday he made intelligent runs and looked a threat.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

RyanWHUFC wrote:As someone who has given him countless amounts of stick, he's changing games and gives us a very different and very good second option.

If he's happy to come off the bench, (and more importantly is fit to be on the bench) then he's a good option to keep, albeit expensive.

Its whats called an impact player. Lots on here including myself believe thats his best role in the squad. I genuinely believe we'll get the best out of him that way.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

If all he adds to the team is coming off the bench when we are losing to try a win a few knock downs or occupy other players in the box, surely one of our back up CBs can do that?
Might as well chuck Ginger Pele up there and pay him 100 grand a week instead :lol: