Chelsea 2-1 West Ham Utd (15/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Re: Chelsea vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

I like Masuaka but he had a tendency to leap in a bit but not a bad debut at all.
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

They wanted it more than us, and how many times did we give the ball away or tried to play the ball out of defense and lost it, (Antonio for the penalty)?

Disappointing to lose to a late goal, but that was a poor performance around. We only perked up a little when Payet came on.
Bubblez

Post by Bubblez »

Bit worried about the lack of movement upfront. Carroll very isolated tonight. Though the new left back was decent- good on the ball and solid. Anyway that was their full strength side and we have loads to come back. Only game 1.
Believer
Has liked: 1428 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by Believer »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Have to say on tonight's showing Nordtveidt, Tore and slightly less so, Masuaka, look a waste of money.

To be honest would've been a steal at 1-1 we deserved nothing from this game and got just that, I'm disappointed, crying out for Cresswell and Lanzini back.
Agree with the first 2 but I thought Masuaka looked comfortable.

Nortveidt though ? Dear me. Shocking. It was noticeable how much our game improved when Kouyate went further back.

Positive is though that despite having no Payet, Lanzini, Cresswell, Feghouli, Sakho, Ogbonna in our starting line up, it took a late goal from a player who shouldn't have been on the pitch to beat us.

We can only improve. Put it this way, I doubt we will play anywhere near as poor the rest of the season. I'm still thinking that Bilic was trying to prove something tonight. Strange selection, strange subs, strange tactics. Totally out of character.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

We didn't deserve a point.

The left back improved steadily throughout the game.

I thought taking off Antonio was a bit strange as it would surely affect his confidence.

Too many average performances.
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

Slav can honestly f*** off now, did you see how bloody upset Antonio was? Scored nine goals in 27 games whilst almost half of them where at RB. Should be first on the bloody team sheet. Payet should of started, Tore is not good, Byram needs work but he's young and was against the likes of Hazard so you can't blame it. Still waiting on that 20 goals a season striker if i'm bloody honest
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

the celestial insect wrote:Chelsea will finish in the top four and at home will beat better teams than us by bigger margins. It was a bad night for us, but it's not meltdown time, or time to write off any players still trying to settle in.
This. We can't expect to get points every match. Power of positivity.
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

when you reflect on how we played against the top teams last season how we set up tonight was baffling, 24% long balls none of which stuck, terrible
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

BillUp wrote: He should have pushed Antonio up and brought on Byram in the first place, instead of bringing on Tore.
This with big ****ing bells on !
hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

Totally disagree with the negative comments against Masuaku. Thought he looked we looked quite classy. Other than that we were **** and deserved to lose. Very disappointing performance.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Clutching at straws if you are blaming the ref for that. We were lucky it was only 2-1. If we had nicked a draw it would've been absolutely undeserved.
Bilic has made some poor decisions.
That formation might have worked with Sakho isolated up there with the legs to do the running. Doesn't suit Carroll though who did well considering.
Valencia must be unreal in training to be starting regualrly. He offered nothing tonight apart from giving Chelsea the ball back so often.
He has killed Antonio there in front of everyone.
I have seen nothing from Byram that suggests he isn't ready to start in the Prem.
The Tore I just watched doesn't match his youtube clips.
Hard to take against Terry and Costa and co.
I hope Sunday is better than that.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Love it how players get written off after a single game. Seems to be the new players getting the brunt of the critisism though despite the fact that they were no worse than anyone else.

Our problem is exactly the same as it was last season. Crap ball retention.
Irons6

Post by Irons6 »

Extremely poor performance. When is Slaven going to realise the Antonio is not going to be our RB this year, feel sorry for the lad it's ruining his confidence and his reaction to coming off showed it all. Nordtveit was appalling today, gave it away far too much and got beaten too easily, shame after an impressive pre-season. Carroll had no service up top at all, put a good shift in but just had nobody around him. Collins motm was solid all game, Masuaku showed promise I thought even if he got caught out of position a couple of times. Overall, gave the ball away far too cheaply in stupid areas of the pitch and had no attacking threat, shame Ayew didn't have a proper run about but very much looking forward to Payet being back at full fitness and Lanzini coming back - missed them both. Guessing Feghouli picked up a knock??

Need to improve our performance dramatically, but nevertheless onwards and upwards COYI :crest:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

DICAN10 wrote:You can't blame the ref. We were ****ing terrible

Yes you can and we were terrible.
TheRealHammer
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by TheRealHammer »

Tore looks like a sack of ****.

Masuaku was good.

Bilic and his persistence with Antonio is a joke. Antonio's face when being taken off told a story.
Antnee

Post by Antnee »

That was awful. Didn't play that badly the whole of last season
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Funny how a few months after the last league games we were moaning about Antonio at RB yet Slav keeps playing him there, game after game after game. Am I missing something? The guy isn't a RB. :evil:
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

I'll put the ammount of stray passes from our players down to first day jitters. We will come good.
DoubleDave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by DoubleDave »

That one goes down to bad team selection and tactics for me, sorry Slav I'm one of your biggest fans but you got that one horribly wrong....
djbubbles
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by djbubbles »

Tore is a total non tryer. He was gash. Someone said he grew into it. The only thing he grew into was his shirt. Ive seen bad debuts but they tried their best. Tore didnt.