Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MrTwoIrons

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by MrTwoIrons »

morganwhu wrote:Last night was my lowest ever point as a West Ham fan and we've been through some ****.

The crowd was not West Ham, we've lost our identity.

Spurs and Man Yoo shirts in the home end, against Juventus there was Chelsea and Arsenal.

We are a laughing stock and we've been sold a lie in every aspect ....stadium, investment in team and ambition.
Saw Chelsea and Bayern Munich shirts last night, couldn't help myself but shout out "Go follow your own clubs" to them of which they looked around nervously like 50-60 of us was waiting behind them.
morganwhu wrote:Oh and I've just been charged 20 ****ing quid for an Accrington Stanley ticket
20 quid!! is that how much the tickets are? I guess kids for a quid won't exist this season them.
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by screech »

plenty of negatives off the field from last night which all seam to be out the hands of west ham as they are all external services.

had to buy something from westfields before the game so parked in there, the stewards didn't have a clue what to do with the fans and seemed to be shepherding everyone in circles and have no direct dedicated route for fans to get to the ground and the entrance closures to the park are causing more problems and would be more effective by being open.

getting searched going into the ground, the guys says "don't worry we are only pretending to search you!"

stewards inside the ground, as nice and polite as they are they really don't have a clue on how to deal with football fans, plenty just watching whilst trouble flared up. ive seen a video of stewards basically watching one man hit another several times then took out the man that had just been hit whilst leaving the other guy in his seat.
quite a big scuffle between about six stewards and one fan, they couldn't contain him and a couple of stewards stepped back and didn't want to get involved, after this man was finally taken out a group of stewards just stood there laughing and joking about it amongst themselves.

westfield parking was a nightmare, the ticket machines crashed and no-one on our floor could pay and we were told if you had contactless cards you could pay at the gate on the way out, we had to sit and wait on the 8th floor for 45 minutes without even moving due to everyone trying to get to the gates.
a worker said they were at full capacity and with only five exit barriers we could only just wait.
westfield parking is a massive accident waiting to happen
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by clawhammer »

The problem with tourists could be instantly solved if all ST Holders bought their ticket.
Blood Iron

Post by Blood Iron »

Quick question to the people at the Bournemouth game, as that has been the only game so far with away fan segregation it seems.

When the game finished, did anybody in the southeast part of the stadium exit and try to walk towards Bow? Are we allowed or is it cordoned off for the away support to filter out? I think I remember reading suggestions that Pudding Mill station would be for away fans only. Is this the case?

It would suck to have to walk anti clockwise around the whole stadium to get going...
claretblue-westham

Post by claretblue-westham »

Blood Iron wrote:Quick question to the people at the Bournemouth game, as that has been the only game so far with away fan segregation it seems.

When the game finished, did anybody in the southeast part of the stadium exit and try to walk towards Bow? Are we allowed or is it cordoned off for the away support to filter out? I think I remember reading suggestions that Pudding Mill station would be for away fans only. Is this the case?

It would suck to have to walk anti clockwise around the whole stadium to get going...
There was no segregation and I was able to use Pudding Mill Station.

This was where this also happened: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Post by Oldun »

My take on other fans in the crowd last night.
If our season ticket holders/members had bought tickets there would have none on general sale.
I have been many times to games that were at other clubs,I just like sometimes to go to a game.
I had a friend come with me last night who is a Chelsea fan but his son supports West Ham.
What I don't understand is how a West Ham fan cimes with a another teams fan and let's them wear their teams shirt,I saw a picture of a female Chelsea fan with her boyfriend in a West Ham shirt,come on mate ,sort it out.
If you go to a game ,respect the other club,don't take the piss.
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by screech »

Oldun that chelsea picture was a photoshop jobby :lol:
i've seen the original pic and she is in a west ham shirt
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

irons88
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irons88 »

Blood Iron wrote:Quick question to the people at the Bournemouth game, as that has been the only game so far with away fan segregation it seems.

Yes, I was sat in the East stand and managed to walk back round to the south side of the ground. There was a line of stewards trying to stop people heading that way, but myself and my dad just walked through them and carried on. Straight on a train at Bow with no queuing, not bad at all. This was on Sunday though, not last night.
To top it off, Lanzini was driving out of the stadium in his Range Rover and stopped to let a load of fans cross the road. Good job it wasn't Sakho driving.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

DDHammer wrote:Image
Tanya must be fuming,
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

Been to all 4 home games so far, just a couple of observations/comments which may or may not help people.

1) Anyone using Oyster and going through the open barriers at Stratford Tube Station, check your journey history and get them to refund any errors. I have had 3 not tapped in/out on my history and have been charged £5.30 3 times for a £1.50 one way journey. TFL are gonna make a killing if people are not aware of this. A way round this would be to tap in/out at the machines on the platforms rather than using the one on the main concourse area.

2) I have not had my bag searched once going into the stadium, last night was the first time I was asked and I just said yes I've had it done and the steward let me in. Not great security!

3) When coming out of the ground, try to use the main central bridge to get back to Stratford tube afterwards, you are then directed right and get into the queue that takes you straight into the station. I made the mistake of using the bridge immediately next to the Orbit after the first game and the queue takes you on a convoluted route up stairs and along the rusty bridge into a different entrance to the station.Very annoying and added on another 10 minutes I reckon.
4) Anyone know what happened last night when going to the ground from Westfield when you could not use the exit near the Cow or outside John Lewis and instead had to go back inside the shopping centre then out gain and up stairs to come out round the back of John Lewis? What was the point of all that?

Altogether I am loving the new experience, I've been a ST holder for around 23 years. Just hope the team can get playing some good football soon to match the rest of the experience.
Blood Iron

Post by Blood Iron »

Ah OK great, although can you imagine when Tottenham or god forbid Millwall fans come. All hell will break loose.

I have a feeling that the stadium authorities are still working out how to police a football match, this time from Stratford station we were directed away from Westfield and had to walk round the back to the south. I wonder if the away fans issue will be tended to at some point.

The reason I ask is because the route I am currently taking by car from Essex (weekend matchdays) - A13, A406, A12, Statford International Car Park - is taking an age to get there. Am thinking of coming up the A12 from the A13 into Bow and walking from there. I have a mate who lives there, I must ask him if I can use his parking space!
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

The stadium is not for me. No atmosphere. If you think one song of bubbles at the start of each half counts - it doesn't. The ground has no real character and doesn't even remind me of the legacy of the games or anything like that. It is big yes and we have filled it so far, but what have we filled it with? Pop corn stalls, In-fighting in the crowd and day trippers. When the novelty wears off we will be rattling round in there. Also the standing debate is causing carnage as we have seen.
Feels like the soul of the club has been sold. The badge change, the ground move, the conflict between fans and board. It's not the West Ham i love.
This might be because I am still hurting from last night, but if I had to renew my ST tomorrow I don't think I would. I would more than likely stick to away games and use the ST money elsewhere. Working all week and spending all day on a Saturday away from my little girl is tough but was justified last season. I am hoping to be proven wrong on the about the above but it has not been a good start - I want to go home.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

I miss the walk to East Ham for night games, getting to Bow Rd or Bromley-by-Bow is a pain even using the closed PML DLR station.

Stratford International had a delay for a train a mate was on last night, so it was rammed solid. So it pulls into Stratford & then High St and it's almost kicking off with those trying to get on !
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I must say the lack of policing and poor security must make it a prime terrorist attack risk. I really cant understand why its so lax and there's barely a copper to be seen.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

We actually asked a copper where the Stratford International Car Park was as he held his nice ice cold drink and he just replied I do not know mate and carried on his way to his mate in his car.
Parkeslife
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Parkeslife »

I took the opportunity of going to the ground last night for the game, 2nd time I have been there (Rugby World Cup) but the first West Ham game.

I must be honest I was a little underwhelmed by the whole experience. I had a good view as i am sure most people have but I genuinely couldn't quite believe the distance between the front row of the upper tiers and the back row of the lower tiers, which cannot have anything other than an effect on the atmosphere. That said that doesn't mean an atmosphere cant be generated, the boos being primarily subjected to the oppositions antics and ref certainly carried some distance.

As for the people who went to this game most people were clearly not tourists however in the row in front of me two blokes came into the ground 25 minutes in, with a child no more than 18 months old, the first shout went up, the child obviously got upset and they were gone 2 minutes later. I mean who would subject a small child to that sort of event, well I wouldn't anyway.

Going to go a bit jumpers for goalposts here, but the things I missed at this game were not being able to here the referees whistle (although if I had have heard it yesterday id have been equally frustrated) or players voices, and more simple football things like the thud of a strong tackle that makes you wince, and the actual sound of a football being struck purely by a professional footballer.

Some of the simple pleasures may never be replicated in the stadium, but I am pretty confident when the enemies come to town, the atmosphere will be magnified.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

So I'm the only one who is worried about a suicide bomber attacking the stadium. I'd see it would be the easiest target around in london at the moment
Deep Purple Iron

Post by Deep Purple Iron »

Ifebbubbles wrote:So I'm the only one who is worried about a suicide bomber attacking the stadium. I'd see it would be the easiest target around in london at the moment
I'm sure you're not alone, it seems ripe for some nut-job to try something. The least I expected was to see a few coppers here and there outside the stadium and around the park as an obvious visual deterrent if nothing else I've seen about 8 now all in all, and all the cavalry type. What's the only animal with a **** on it's back? etc.
Also what's the score with the explosive sniffer dogs, what's their range?, because I've only ever seen them standing still about 10 feet away from the turnstiles.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

It reminds me of watching a game on a big screen in pubs where you can see the pitch but not recognise the players but can't hear anything that happens on the pitch.
I don't like it.