Manchester City 3-1 West Ham Utd (28/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DICAN10

Re: Manchester City vs West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by DICAN10 »

What I don't understand is when you play a possession side you don't give up possession.

Adrian

Byram Reid Ogbonna Masuaka

Noble Obiang kouyate

Antonio. Valencia
Fletcher
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

There were just too many frustrations today, City are a great side and their football was top class at times . But the system didn't help, we have never played well with a back 3 and we are asking Antonio to play defensively again and he lacks the discipline. Antonio was out of position far too many times first half. I think the line up was too negative and invited pressure, on top of that we couldn't get nowhere near them.

I just found the it frustrating, i can accept City outclassing us, which they did but i just feel all 3 goals were the type we should have been in control of. First goal was ball watching, second we should be dealing with a cross in that area and the player was completely unmarked and i have no idea what Adrian was thinking for the third.

We were much improved second half but we just lacked composure in the final third. We over-hit passes, over hit crosses and hit silly passes into touch when we were in threatening areas. But then if we went in at half time 1-0 down I'm not sure much would have changed system wise.

In the end I'm happy we showed spirit second half and had a good go at it. As good as city were we could have got something from that game on another day. We have a much needed break now and hopefully we will have some big names back. Lanzini also slotted in well which was a positive and got half hour under his belt.
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

Perth_Hammer wrote:Made some crucial blocks too. He slow and poor on the ball. I dont agree with the rest.
Fair enough but there's a reason teams target him.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Bilic should be sacked if he plays Antonio in a defensive position again.
Nick_
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Nick_ »

Oldun wrote:We have had the misfortune to play 2 high spending clubs with new high profile managers in our first 2 away games.
Absolutely. Man City were excellent, by anyone's standard, in the first half. They've spent a fortune and put together a world class squad and they should comfortably beat us. Our job is to make it uncomfortable, and I think, in the end, we did that.
beckton

Post by beckton »

FEH wrote: The one thing that makes us second rate is how we often rush the ball. If we really have ambitions, please look at how top tier teams play. Technically very competent, great fitness and having plenty of time on the ball.

Top tier teams have top tier players. Man City could have been out of site by half-time but they weren't and if the ref had called it right we'd have nicked a draw.
All in all I'm not too disappointed as I didn't expect anything up there and we gave it a go in the second half.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:Reading the post match comments here is sometimes as fun, if not more, than the actual game itself :D
probably the most reasonable post match discussion i've seen on here in a while.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

k-r-c wrote:I see comments of bilic got it wrong again and then fixed it but the point is it's happening far to regularly.

I'm a fan of his but it's obvious mistakes he is making.

Hindsight is wonderful.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 539 likes
Total likes: 458 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Way way way more proud of being a West Ham fan than I have been since the start of our competitive season. In all of our games minus maybe the Domzale home leg we haven't looked like doing anything remotely positive but that 2nd half has literally made me feel like a new fan again. So proud that I saw us having a go and actually trying to do the right things. If we played last Thursday with just 50% of what we showed in that 2nd half we would be in Europe still.

Slav did mess up with his first half selection but did rectify it and gave us fans something to hold onto for this international break.

Bring on Watford! :crest:
Last edited by TheHandOfDog on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Tore looks like he needs time to adjust.
Antonio further forward is much more beneficial to the team.
Arthur looks like a very good player indeed.
Fletcher put himself about and worked hard. Be interesting to see his progress.
Kouyate was anonymous imo.
Valencia tries hard, but i just cannot see him scoring or being decisive when it matters.
Lanzini struggled to get into the game, but its great to see him back. We know what a talent he is.

We've lost away to chelsea and man city. We're not going to be judged on those results.

Lets hope we get our players back after the international break fit and fresh, and then lets see what happens.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Beavis Danzig wrote:
probably the most reasonable post match discussion i've seen on here in a while.
Man City is better squad.

If this was against Hull City this place would be burning no?
beckton

Post by beckton »

DICAN10 wrote:What I don't understand is when you play a possession side you don't give up possession.

Adrian

Byram Reid Ogbonna Masuaka

Noble Obiang kouyate

Antonio. Valencia
Fletcher

Are you suggesting that side would keep posession against a side like Man City?

As you seem quite keen on saying, f*** off! :D
Doctor Mopp
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

Oldun wrote:We have had the misfortune to play 2 high spending clubs with new high profile managers in our first 2 away games.
Gets them out of the way while we are short of numbers at least.
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

Hindsight?

He's had 6 months of hindsight

Every time he starts Antonio at right back then moves him to right wing at half time we improve so why does he still persist with it?

Mental .
rtwhufc83

Post by rtwhufc83 »

Proud of that 2nd half performance !
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

btajim - mcfc wrote:Last post from me until the match is over. I'll be back for a post mortem come win, lose or draw. As ever, all I want is a good match and a fair result. I hope everyone coming up for West Ham has a safe trip.

3-1 City for me. Revenge for last season!

Good luck.
I should have had a bet.

Can I make an observation? There's been at least two matches between us recently when it's taken a two goal deficit for you to start playing. It was a game of two halves for me. I was delighted at 45 minutes in but less so when you pulled one back. I wanted full whistle by 75 minutes but thankfully Boo Sterling grabbed his second and the gap was more comfortable.

If you play like you did for most of the second half then you'll have few problems. Whoever finishes above City this season will win the league.

Fair play, guys. Good luck in every match aside from City at home. I hope to come to that.
SpongeBob's Pants
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Beavis Danzig wrote:probably the most reasonable post match discussion i've seen on here in a while.
Dyl wrote:Bilic should be sacked if he plays Antonio in a defensive position again.
:D
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

We turned it around second half and if Aguero had seen red it could have been a better result for us.
Last edited by Mega Ron on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Sky team saying Aguero shouldn't be banned because "nobody wants to see a player like Aguero banned".

Translation - Sky don't want him missing from the Manchester derby.
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

And we have had to play them without our best players,so although we did not play well in either,we could have got a point at Chelsea if the ref had done his job and today we was still in the game in the 90th minute .