West Ham Utd 2-4 Watford (10/09/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by smuts »

Eastcoast wrote:Lanzini had a progressively poor game in the crucial No.10 role passing and shooting - probably lack of match sharpness and confidence. .
To be honest Lanzini did run out of puff a lot last season in the second half.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

claretchris wrote:
Can't be helpful when the chairman thinks he has a better eye for a player than his manager.
When the manager rates and wants Eminike and Tore....the chairman might have a point.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

chalks wrote:Antonio should possibly be given a run as a straight number 9. He's a beast. A very very fast beast.

After scoring a brace, to see him switched to right back with about 7 minutes to go was more than a little bit annoying.

Bilic was a breath of fresh air last season. This, he has so far made selection, and tactical, **** ups in every single game.
He has been so good wide though. Going up against CBs I'm not sure he'll have the same advantage. If he can learn to consistently get his head up for his final ball - he could be world class out wide.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Up until the 40th minute we looked **** hot, as good a football I've seen us play in recent years, yet went from the sublime to the ridiculous once it started kicking off in the stands. I'm sure it was just a coincidence, but how uncanny that is!

We really did play well up until that point, then all the players head went and Watford were very clinical indeed.

One thing Watford were good at once they eventually got a grip of our wonderful start that we weren't and that was defending. We were all over the shop, bar Masuaku who was our stand out player who never stopped giving his all.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Interesting to hear Troy deeneys interview saying that our players were trying to mug them off and it inspired them to get more physical...certainly worked...I thought he looked like a pub player today...looked well overweight, took his goals well though

I've never seen a defence so disorganised in my life

Last season our problem wasn't scoring, it was shopping goals...we've learnt nothing and got worse defensively...we played 2 holding midfielders but they went missing...at one point noble was chasing their defenders on the edge of the box trying to nick possession when he should have been on the half way line

Our shape was all over the place...at the back, it wasn't a unit and they need to sort it...with a defender for a manager you would hope he can do it, I'm not sure...I think Randolph may get he nod soon...ogbonna will nick ginges place, and as soon as arbeloa is fit enough, Sam needs a stretch on the bench...schoolboy errors today cost us, and they targeted him every time
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Reid, Collins and Adrian give to many gifts. The concentration levels on the 3 of them are shocking. Not going to dig out the forward line as we were 2 up. Naturally payet and lanzini are going to run out of steam, they've hardly got any match fitness!
Parso

Post by Parso »

At 2-0 Watford were still in it. They had a number of chances from the off and quite honestly it could've been 4-4 at Half Time. Sadly our boys thought it was game over at 2-0 and seem to just stop playing.

I said to my pal on the way to the game this match would be decided on whether Noble and Kayoute turn up. They didn't and we lost. Agreed defence was very poor but I felt the midfield didn't provide enough protection as they always seem to have an extra player when attacking.

We go again next week. COYI.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

smuts wrote:["claretchris"

Can't be helpful when the chairman thinks he has a better eye for a player than his manager.

When the manager rates and wants Eminike and Tore....the chairman might have a point.
And rates them both over Antonio :D
dt64
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by dt64 »

Just watched the first half...

Positives - I can see the makings of a ridiculously fluid and decent attack. Nice link up play between all 4 attacking players. Antonio just looks like he's going to have the knack of scoring goals and the cross he put in for Janmaat to almost score the own goal was perfect, I'd expect Zaza to get on the end of that once he's up to full fitness.

Negatives - defence looks a mess, byram looks like a 18 year old fresh out of the academy, seriously hoping Arbeloa can put an arm round his shoulder and sort him out but I'm not convinced. Collins has to be dropped, he's always been prone to an error or 2 but he's ****ed us today.

All in all, despite the score and collapse I can see the makings of a decent team. Let's not forget it was the first game back for a number of our team so they were always going to be short of fitness and once we went down by 4, due to some awful mistakes by 2 of our back 5 the heads went down and we just lost our minds.

The one thing I'm worried about is coming from the stands, we as a fan Base are showing all the hallmarks of a team who are going to struggle, we're making this move harder for the players, they feel our anger towards the stadium, they can hear our I'm fighting and we're creating a toxic atmosphere. We can blame the performances all we like but after both goals you can see the team spirits there, what I don't recognise is the fans.

We have to get behind the team or their going to start dreading playing at home and the relationship between us and the players is going to sour and people like payet and more importantly lanzini are going to say f*** this and leave.

Let's stay United and make the most of this situation, we can't do f*** all now about it, let's give the players the best chance to show us what we know they can do
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Defence we're absolutely **** drop Adrian Collins Bryan an Reid two bob defenders all of them :thdn:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

If we cant defend properly then were in trouble. Weve got enough players but theyre playing like pub players.
bobbymooresbracelet

Should have bought a decent centre half and a goalkeeper in the summer
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

I see Ogbonna had a pop on Twitter today,just a tweet showing the final score.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Thought the atmosphere was electric up until the moment we ****ing collapsed too...
noblecause

Post by noblecause »

frankiemac wrote:Thought the atmosphere was electric up until the moment we ****ing collapsed too...
Me too. It was a shocking collapse though. We didn't get going afterwards, but you do need inspiration from the pitch to the stands at times, no matter what ground you are playing at.
bobbymooresbracelet

Bilic will give his usual quaint foreign interpretation of the utter shambles we were ,c----
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:Bilic will give his usual quaint foreign interpretation of the utter shambles we were ,c----
Will
Make changes for west brom

Ginge out...byram out (if arbeloa is fit)...potentially Adrian out

Noble and kouyate totally ineffective too...justification to give nordveit a go instead of one of them
Eastcoast
Location: Sunrise Coast - totscum hotspur its happened again!

Post by Eastcoast »

Same problem with Reid & Oggy last season - I seem to remember many wanted Ginge back.

Early days for Nordveit but haven't seen to much from him to justify being the correct fix.

We defo need to defend better in front of the back four.

A blessing in disguise the Euro dream is over.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

frankiemac wrote:
Will
Make changes for west brom

Ginge out...byram out (if arbeloa is fit)...potentially Adrian out

Noble and kouyate totally ineffective too...justification to give nordveit a go instead of one of them

Reid worse than Ginge for me. The near OG when under no pressure a particular low. I like Collins, but to rely upon him and Reid - who has been really up and down for over a year now - without strengthening looks madness. That said Reid and Collins had no protection from MF and Ginge especially was having to try and cover Byram.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:Defence we're absolutely **** drop Adrian Collins Bryan an Reid two bob defenders all of them :thdn:

Sadly we cant drop both Ginge and Reid, as we only have three senior CBs.