Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (30/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by RyanWHUFC »

tjr008 wrote:Have you been watching us this season, pal?

Who are we better than? It's not a knee jerk. It's a quarter of the season down and when have we played well in the league? How many points in the next 10? Knee jerk reaction time is over. After 10 games, the table has taken shape.
Of course I've been in watching. No way we'll be 16th come seasons end
beckton

Post by beckton »

How does Lukaku get away with not at least getting a yellow, if not a red for the elbow in the first half. :eh:
Borthos

Post by Borthos »

It wasn't as terrible as some are making out. Payet and Lanzini far from their best (but for the first 20 minutes, equally far from their worst), but the others in the starting 11 put in decent shift, and we lost due to two gifted/unlucky/sloppy goals.

The first goal, in my opinion at least, Adrian should be the one up and beading down on the loose ball. It's a fine save, maybe should have been pushed around the post and out for a corner, but he needs to be up and pouncing on the loose ball only a few feet away from him. Bolasie was running across the shot and was at full speed, so was always going to beat a defender starting cold, even with a yard or two head start.

The second goal, Lukaku is offside from the initial pass (it may only be an inch or two, but inches matter). From there though, brilliant driving wing play and cross to Barkley who has a simple finish.

The subs made little or no effect. Personally my first sub would have been Fletcher on for Payet at 60 and take it from there.

But onwards to next week. This is just another inevitable result in our trundle to a 13th place finish and a couple of cup runs, each finishing in a round classified with "final" in it's moniker.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Very disappointing considering how average Everton looked.
Payet was pretty bad and the defending for the goals was woeful.
We could really do with a ten goal a season striker.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

smuts wrote:If Sullivan got offered Lukaku tomorrow for £30 million and £50k a week, he'd still ask them to take £29.5 million, Lukaku £49k a week and whether we could do a try before we buy first. He can't help himself.

Mouthed off before last season even ended about multi million marquee strikers coming, we haven't even bought a one man Halfords tent with half the struts missing and no ground sheet.
∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

This and it is how he will still carry and is the reason we struggle to conclude deals
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

frankiemac wrote:Payet didn't want to know, particularly second half
Looked pretty pissed off with Antonio a couple of times too, in fairness Antonio's decision making is awful, apart from one nice ball to Ayew.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Antonio put a great shift in today

The Everton I spoke yo all said how he impressed them
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

beckton wrote:How does Lukaku get away with not at least getting a yellow, if not a red for the elbow in the first half. :eh:
Was a poor decision.
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

Puff Daddy wrote:This and it is how he will still carry and is the reason we struggle to conclude deals
It's time he took a step back from the day to day transfer dealings and let someone else handle the negotiations.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Some poor decision making in the first half cost us.

That Gueye bloke should of been sent off, got away with absolute murder.

Reid should of put his foot through the ball for their first goal, terrible defending.

Antonio playing as a striker did not work, several times the ball fell to him in good positions but he could not convert.

Zaza is a complete waste of time.

Lukaku got his obligatory goal and Barkley was left in acres of space for their second.

Like I say, thought we played some nice stuff in the first half. But poor decisions and lack of a clynical striker cost us.

3 points on Saturday is now looking crucial.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

RyanWHUFC wrote:No way are we 4th bottom bad, never.
agreed.

we're just playing like we are...
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

£30m for Lukaku was in old money before the new Tv deal - it would need a bid of double that to get Everton to let him go so there's no point in beating ourselves up hat he's £5m more than Zaza

Poor performance all round today - but think we need to mark it down to overhang from midweek, lack of cutting edge in first 30 when we had chances and a ref who never seems to have a game where our creative players can flourish.

Gueye was very good for them.

On to the next one - hope we are fully refreshed for next week to climb up the table
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

beckton wrote:How does Lukaku get away with not at least getting a yellow, if not a red for the elbow in the first half. :eh:
ref was letting everything go to be fair. everyone had a warning for their first yellow card offence. usually quite like that style of reffing but it did us no favours with how much more physical everton were.

they don't strike me as a good side. we played better football in those first twenty minutes than they probably will all season, but koeman has them organised, physical and capable of getting a result against anyone when lukaku is on song. drop lukaku into watford and they'd be indistinguishable.

sense of inevitability after lukaku's goal went in. such a **** goal, willed by the gods (and the gods of ball watching).

physical teams, bogey strikers, early kick offs and dreary atmospheres: is there a worse combination for west ham?
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

A performance like the one during the week would have taken 3 points easily, Lukaku aside that Everton team is ok but nothing amazing.

Not usually a happy hunting ground for us and there were a few poor performances. Up till the goal we were more than holding our own. Nothing to be massively concerned about, on to the next game.
goof

Post by goof »

Regardless of what Antonio performances up top are like, every time i see him start up there via the right wing or right back it just makes me angry. Reminds me of what an absoloute mess they have made over the striker situation, Carroll a constant sick note with a mysterious injury, Sakho who dosent care about playing for us with a mysterious injury, Fletcher a youth striker who at least runs but should no way be our saviour, Ayew our marquee striker who is a midfielder who is back from injury. The only blessing is that the penny pinchers did not blow there load on Zaza, Calleri dose not look like he adds anything & Valencia must be laughing his arse off today. Where do you start hopefully Valencia is gone & Calleri & Zaza deals could be cut short, if Sakho wants to go then fine but at this stage selling him to the Albion could be a big mistake. If the owners ar serious about not getting relegated in our most important season in recent history then, only Bacca & Laccazette comparable signings will do in with Zaza & Calleri out. I know its not going to happen though, maybe they read this. Suddenly after a glimmer of light the Stoke game looks like a 6 pointer again, if Shaqiri & Anautovic turn up we are bang in trouble.
Last edited by goof on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

Cress is very important when he plays for us. But did he today? Hardly saw him in 90 minutes. But when he did not mark his man at all at their first goal.

How many inches can you give Barkley? All of the ball watching for their second was awful.

The first 45 was pretty alright. The second half we looked so extremely tired.
Fernandes had another good game in an unnatural position. Adrian some great saves. I thought Ogbonna was pretty good too. And Obiang showed in the first half why we need him on the field (bad sub). Payet's worst game?

Where is Arbeloa? If we played him I guess we could have used Fernandes in his natural position or as a power-sub.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

hammer1975 wrote:£30m for Lukaku was in old money before the new Tv deal - it would need a bid of double that to get Everton to let him go so there's no point in beating ourselves up hat he's £5m more than Zaza
Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't the board baulk at the asking price for Lukaku when he was still at Chelsea? I can't help thinking that Sullivan feels he had his fingers burnt with Carroll (and maybe Jarvis) and is therefore reluctant to pay the going rate for the kind of player we need now. These are the kind of players who will have plenty of other offers, so we're not in a position to bargain or impose loads of conditions.

Yes, perhaps we don't have the ready cash, but surely it should have been part of the long term plan to put together a side that can sustain the OS.
Last edited by the celestial insect on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Going further to what I said earlier saying a lot of our troubles today were down to no fresh changes apart from the Keeper, Chelsea have made 7 starting changes as well as the Keeper right now and are much more lively and fresher than what we were today. Bilic dropped a wee bollock for me and was surprised wth the same line up bar Adrian in goal. He was asking too much of the players after the great effort they all put in on Weds. We looked so tired and leggy throughout.

Probably only needed about 3 changes but something should have been considering the circumstances.

I'm also not happy with Noble Captaining today. When we went 1-0 down he didn't take the opportunity to get into his team and Gee them all up and get them going like he can do. He hid a bit which is unlike him and took the easy option.

However, I didn't think we were 'that' bad and more down to no changes and Lord Mayors show rather than a fundamental problems as before. We still managed to look good with the ball during large spells especially first half which is what I wanted to see. Liked intensity and Everton wanted it much more, just as we did against Chelsea. It happens. On to the next one..
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Just home, quick drive down the East Lancashire Road, we started on fire and faded after first 20 minutes? Payet was well and truly off his game, Cresswell seemed to have no confidence, never saw him run forward with the ball hardy? Problem was no one could pop the goal in the net, even against a reserve goal keeper. Striker wise we have problems, Zaza had not done anything since he joined us, we still keep hearing the cry we are missing Carroll, makes me choke the goals and games he has played for us, he is never going to be the answer, everyone feels he will be the impact sub, on his wage? hope that is not the only answer to a striker!

Our supporters today were amazing, even at 2-0 down, just superb, it was like being sat in a library, their fans never made a noise until the 72nd minute?

We will miss Reid against Stoke! at this rate we do not need to worry about summer European qualifiers lol
traxop

Post by traxop »

Those praising Antonio today are just looking at the surface but if you dig a little deeper, you will see that he was a big part of the problem with our attacking and defensive display.

His starting position today has been far too wide. This forced Lanzini and Obiang to rush up into the box from midfield(to provide a target for Antonio to link up with). The amount of times Lanzini and Obiang busted a gut to get into the box told me that they weren't going to last the 90. They were expanding way too much energy for little reward.

If Obiang was that far forwards to be able to take a shots inside their box from open play then it's obvious there will be large gaps left in the midfield for the counter. If your defensive mid is inside their box then he's obviously not in position to shield the back four. Antonio by drifting out wide - forcing our midfielders into the box - effectively destroyed our shape and structure.

Had Antonio tried to played more like a traditional centre forward it would have allowed Payet and Lanzini the space on the wings to operate(to link up with the wing backs, to run at the opposition etc.) and Noble and Obiang would have been able to remain in front of the opposition to disrupt their counter attacks(you can't effect play when you are behind the ball and chasing back).

If Bilic wants to persists with Antonio up front, then he needs to instruct him to stay more central otherwise the defensive shape that gave us the so much solidity in the last few games goes out the window.
Last edited by traxop on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.