Stratford 2012 [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support David Sullivan's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Yes
55%
No
21%
Depends
24%

Total votes: 685

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Pop Robson »

whufc32 wrote:/what-the-http://westhamprocess.com/2010/02/05oly ... in-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn't matter how many different mocks up there are the pitch will still be surrounded by an Olympic sized running track, even if it's covered in gold.

As for claret & blue all over the place more chance of winning £84M on the Lottery
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

So they would need to extend the roof? I got a contact who is involved with the construction of the roof going on at the moment and the roof alone is costing £40m.

So we move in and want to replace it, and have to spend another £40m?! :|
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

AJ wrote:So they would need to extend the roof? I got a contact who is involved with the construction of the roof going on at the moment and the roof alone is costing £40m.

So we move in and want to replace it, and have to spend another £40m?! :|
and that's for a temporary roof, designed to be taken down after the games.
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

Pop Robson wrote:[quoteSo they would need to extend the roof? I got a contact who is involved with the construction of the roof going on at the moment and the roof alone is costing £40m.

So we move in and want to replace it, and have to spend another £40m?! :quote]

and that's for a temporary roof, designed to be taken down after the games.
Frigging hell! A temporary roof, a temporary tier, temporary seats..... So the Olympic Committee wanted a 'lasting legacy' which means practically rebuilding the stadium after its been used for a couple of weeks. Talk about p*ssing your money away! :lol:
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

In fairness to them, they had a clear plan to reduce the capacity to 25k after the Olympics, which meant that the upper tiers were obviously temporary.
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

mattjp wrote:In fairness to them, they had a clear plan to reduce the capacity to 25k after the Olympics, which meant that the upper tiers were obviously temporary.
Yes, and I thought it was a crap idea then. :lol:

Lets face it, it was a badly thought out plan from the start, with the 'Its only going to be an atheltics track after the Games' idea. Now they realise that perhaps they might have been a little hasty with that statement. They've effectively wasted £millions (throughout a recession as well) and thats not including the almost half a £million on designing two mascots!

You just know its going to pee down with rain in the summer of 2012 don't you.:lol:
Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

yeah terribly planned, as for banners, signage etc that wouldn't be a problem, would be a cheap way for them to brand it as West Ham, still Im gonna email to add to the voices against the running track, and generally being miles away from the action.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Judging by the KUMB poll.....the majority of fans are in favour of this move.They would only need to point to that survey to claim they have listened to the fans in pressing ahead.
Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

I just emailed them this....

Hi there,

Good to see the website encourging feedback and hope Mr Sullivan and Mr Gold are true to their word about the listening to the fans. The 10 point plan all sounded pretty good so we will see how they get on.

As I'm sure you are already aware a major issue for most West Ham supporters is the plans for moving into the Olympic Stadium and particularly the running track and the distance you would be from the pitch. West Ham used to be renowned for having supporters right at the edge of the pitch, which in turn created a cracking atmosphere, the stands are further back now (already too far in my opinion) but this would be nothing when compared to the distances, both at the side and behind the goals, at the Olympic Stadium.

Though the opportunity is a good one, I believe it should be completely on our terms, I feel like we hold all the aces as West Ham moving into the stadium is such an obvious thing to happen, but I am really worried this would be the beginning of the end of West Ham as we know it. I feel we would lose alot of our identity as a club, which is our strong point, not many clubs can compare to West Ham when it comes to character, and it would put off alot of people who have been loyal followers of West Ham for years. I can't see myself wanting to go there.

Tottenham have listened to their supporters with one tiered stands behind the goals and supporters close to the pitch, I hope West Ham do the same and if need be, spend a bit of money on it, if not I fear we could have a half empty (prob sponsored) soul-less bowl in a few years, no matter how cheap the tickets are.

Sorry to go on but just want to express how strongly I feel about this.

Thanks for your time
Kind Regards
Richard
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Northern Paulo wrote: Yes, and I thought it was a crap idea then. :lol:

Lets face it, it was a badly thought out plan from the start, with the 'Its only going to be an atheltics track after the Games' idea. Now they realise that perhaps they might have been a little hasty with that statement. They've effectively wasted £millions (throughout a recession as well) and thats not including the almost half a £million on designing two mascots!

You just know its going to pee down with rain in the summer of 2012 don't you.:lol:
I have pretty much been like a broken record in regards to my opposition to a move to the Olympic Stadium from pretty much day 1. However, just because the ODA have not bent over and allowed us to do what we want with the Stadium, it does not mean they have been hasty.

When we bid for the OIympics, we championed two key legacies. The first was the regeneration of that part of the East End, and the second was to create a stadium that would further Athletics in Britain, and allow London to host Grand Prix events. Other parties were given plenty of opportunity to express an interest. There were no concrete offers. If there was, a stadium could have been built that would have suited both parties. So the ODA kept to the original plan of reducing the size of the stadium after the Olympics. We may not have won the bid if we had not had these two legacy promises.

The whole park has cost a lot of money, but how many jobs were created in this time of recession? Also, you can not just look at costs, we also need to factor in revenue. We will not know for sure until after the Olympics whether they show a profit or not. Would it be a waste if the East End gets a new park, a world class aquatics centre and veledrome and the whole event has shown a profit?

You also need to take into account other factors. Look at the investment in housing, both in the park and in Stratford Town Centre. Look at the new Westfield centre. A whole area that was previously wasteland will have been regenerated.

As for the Mascots, again we should not just look at costs. Whether you like them or not, the mascots will generate more revenue than they cost in merchandising alone.
Last edited by GideaParkHammer on Thu May 20, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Westbourne Bill wrote:Judging by the KUMB poll.....the majority of fans are in favour of this move.They would only need to point to that survey to claim they have listened to the fans in pressing ahead.
That is why a new poll is really needed as the poll was started before most of the facts were released. I would guess that a large percentage of those voting yes, did so believing there would be no track
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

GideaParkHammer wrote:That is why a new poll is really needed...
I agree GPH.
NorthBank86
Location: Halfway up the North Bank, by the right hand post behind the goal
Has liked: 84 likes

Post by NorthBank86 »

Just skimming through some old threads and came across this, certainly worth a bump up and a re-read, as we approach the halfway point in our new home and the Boleyn nears it's final days.

Hindsight is of course a luxury that no one has. Interesting thought that whilst the 2010 poll is unequivocally in favour of the move, the comments posted by many KUMBers were, sadly, quite prophetic.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

GideaParkHammer wrote: That is why a new poll is really needed as the poll was started before most of the facts were released. I would guess that a large percentage of those voting yes, did so believing there would be no track
Technically there is no track.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

There will be a few embarrassed by the comments they made back in 2010. Admittedly it was without any knowledge of how the stadium was gonna be converted. The most divisive decision ever made by our club and the board had us tricked from day one.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:There will be a few embarrassed by the comments they made back in 2010. .
:D

You're not wrong .

Back then I supported the owners , fortunately though not the move .
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Never did and never will understand or see the benefits of the move outweighing what we had.

We've given so much away now which used to be to our advantage, be it the old Ground (owned), area/local businesses, intensity, control, a much better matchday experience, all that's tangible that really remains now is the fans and even many of those die hards are feeling so disillusioned with it all and are either turning their backs on what we've now become or being banned/moved/ill-treated.

The only 'advantage' I can see by moving is financially gaining an extra £10million a year, coming from the horses mouth and I just don't see that being anywhere close to justifying the move. I certainly don't believe the bull**** about it being a lot easier attracting better players due to playing in the former Olympic Stadium, especially now after all the bad publicity that's surrounded it. The likes of Payet, Lanzini, Carroll, Kouyate, Obiang, Ogbonna were not put off with what we had and we've attracted nothing since the summer that suggests the Stadium move attracts much better quality.

All it now means is we have to make the best of a very shitty situation in a poorly arranged and managed Stadium.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

They promised us the moon on a stick.
So far they haven't even delivered the stick.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Great fun reading the old posts over 6yrs old, I wasn't too keen back then not sure why !!!!!

No one mentioned popcorn though :shock:
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Pop Robson wrote: No one mentioned popcorn though :shock:
I know, right?!! Every cloud, eh?