Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

RayleighHammer23

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

I would be shocked if we got Giroud. The whole we will match anyone's offee thing seems odd. It's either we are so incompetent that we can't decide his value ourselves or it's a built in PR stunt were we can say that we tried but he chose someone else.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I think there is a myth that 30 is past it for footballers. Man Utd signed a 34 year old Ibrahimovic and he carried them last sewson. Chelsea are trying to sign 34 year old Dani Alves, and 32 year old Christiano Ronaldo is being linked with bids of 130m, but Real think his price is 350m. A lot on here wanted to sign 34 year old Defoe.
Giroud is cheap at 20m if we can get him for that. His game does not rely on pace. His game is similar to Sherringham's and a Teddy was effective into his mid to late 30s. Giroud would instantly transform us. West Ham plus Giroud puts us closer to the Top 7, and above the group of teams we were amongst at the end of the year. I'd even argue that West Ham plus Giroud can compete with a Everton and their new signings if they sell Lukaku.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I cannot see Giroud wanting to come here even if we did have a bid accepted
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Hayden wrote:I cannot see Giroud wanting to come here even if we did have a bid accepted
I tend to agree. I'm sort of hoping that Zabaleta's reputation might at least give us a gloss of moving forward.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

MD_HM wrote:Arsenal have probably said they will take 15m for Giroud which makes him our top target as Iheanacho would cost 25m and Batishauyi 35m :lol:
Gitoud is also better than both of then at this point in time and also significantly more proven, which is what we need.
Will be the best striker we have bought for donkeys years if we can get him.
Personally don't think he woukd be interested in playing for us tbf and will likely go back to France
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

still waiting on news of that marquis we were in for last summer.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

I'd honestly be amazed if D&G spent £20m on a 30 yr old it serves no real purpose for them .Its pretty clear they are happy to just stay safe mid table and pick up the TV money .Imo they will do just enough to appease the fans and can't see that including giroud .
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

I'm interested to see just how much money we spend in this window as well!

Was doing the rounds last year that we were offering in the region of £50m for Lacazette but I'd be surprised if we spent that on the whole squad in the end! So where did that money go?

Also Payet went for in the region of £25m with around £14m spent on Snodgrass and Fonte so there's another £11m that should be added onto this years budget!

I suspect we will probably have been conned by the owners! They talk the talk but haven't walked the walk!
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Hammer the maths aren't that simple, you've brought in two wages instead of one. let's say Snodgrass 60k and Fonte what 80k I'm guessing.
Pete Campbell

Post by Pete Campbell »

Giroud would be a class signing. Really hoping we can make it happen.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

fmgod wrote:Hammer the maths aren't that simple, you've brought in two wages instead of one. let's say Snodgrass 60k and Fonte what 80k I'm guessing.
Good point! Makes the business look worse to be honest! Fingers crossed they get rid of some dead wood!!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I'd hazard Traore would have more fun assisting the sweet prince Giroud than the time has passed Negredo.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

My guess is those that are turning their nose up at Giroud haven't actually seen him much/watch football much, or are also the same people that are never happy regardless of what happens.

This guy is next level (for us) regardless of age. On the topic of price, as a bang average club (which we are) in order to attract top players (which he is) sometimes we have to bite the bullet and "over pay".

He may turn out to be crap in our system. However, he may well get 15 goals a season, consolidate us between 6-8, which would be a huge achievement, and make us a far more attractive club in 2 years time.

We can't expect to propel ourselves from mediocrity to top 6/7 in one window. All of these players are stepping stones, and he'd (in my opinion of course) be a bloody good one.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Colours never run wrote:If we got Giroud for £15m and say Onyeruku for around £9m, I'd be very happy with that.
I'd be amazed. I expect they will want a minimum of £20m for Giroud and Onyeruku would be a steal at £9m. With his buyout clause reported as being less than £9m, he has to be a better gamble that Traore.
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

People turning their nose up at 29/30 year olds

How old was di canio when he signed?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I can't see Giroud being one bit interested in us, even more so as a World Cup year, just newspaper speculation to me.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Gitoud is also better than both of then at this point in time and also significantly more proven, which is what we need.
Will be the best striker we have bought for donkeys years if we can get him.
Personally don't think he woukd be interested in playing for us tbf and will likely go back to France
Agreed.

However, while he was with us, Payet cemented his position as a starter in the French national team. After he buggered off he is no longer a regular.

So if Giroud wants to be a guaranteed starter at the World Cup, he'd better come to us...
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Beavis Danzig wrote:still waiting on news of that marquis we were in for last summer.
We were in for a marquee. And also a bivouac.

They were too tense.

Coat...
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

fmgod wrote: even more so as a World Cup year.
I'd imagine that increases our chances if we do actually have any. First team football is what he needs, and shining in a West Ham team didn't stop Payet from being a key player for France at the Euro's did it?

Depending on what you can believe, he apprently wants to stay in London. I really don't think it's as impossible as you make out...
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Evidence suggests that scoring loads of goals for Lyon doesn't earn you a place in the France side (Lacazette will tell you). Add to that that if Deschamps is gonna bow to pressure and play Mbappe and/or Dembele, it doesn't look like it be alongside Lacazette. Think he wants the focal point, so Giroud just needs to be playing regularly and well in a decent league.