Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Aztec Hammer »

We signed Giroud yet lads?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Patito wrote:ciao a tutti
:wink:
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Pretty much every window the line "well,at least so and so is an upgrade on so and so" . Last year it was Zaza was an upgrade on Eminike. and this year it will be just about anybody will be an upgrade on Zaza.Had we signed Peter Crouch and Defoe at the first opportunity after the Daves rocked up, they would still be better and have scored more goals than all the others put together,imo.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

My concerns are that pre season starts on July 5th. that's a week away.

We have seen what happened when players don't have the chance to go through a full pre season.

Its about bonding and getting used to conditions and systems.

We were told they were going to get business done early this summer and the lack of movement suggests our primary targets are slipping away.

The scouting team stated that they have a list ready from the end of January and they will know from agents things like wages etc.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Don't you start and all warp :D
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote:My concerns are that pre season starts on July 5th. that's a week away.

We have seen what happened when players don't have the chance to go through a full pre season.

We were told they were going to get business done early this summer and the lack of movement suggests our primary targets are slipping away.

The scouting team stated that they have a list ready from the end of January and they will know from agents things like wages etc.

Totally agree, its just that all of our signings are dependent on bigger clubs and who they want and don't want. Yesterday Patito told me it was still early so I got back in my box, but we have struggled for the last four windows with seemingly little or no strategy. Bilic asked for early signings and we have Zab who is needed, but we make everything so difficult for ourselves.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

bristolhammerfc wrote:We have seen what happened when players don't have the chance to go through a full pre season.
antonio did alright... :)

bristolhammerfc wrote:We were told they were going to get business done early this summer and the lack of movement suggests our primary targets are slipping away.
where did they end up, after slipping away from us?
the lack of movement seems general unless it's silly money stuff.
Last edited by warp on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

bristolhammerfc wrote:My concerns are that pre season starts on July 5th. that's a week away.

The Scouting 'team' are incompetent
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

I share Bristol's concerns in particular in relation to the striker needing to be 100% ready for the first game
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

warp wrote:antonio did alright... :)
Antonio signed on 1 September and only played for the first team twice before December...
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

But Bristol, nearly every other premier league team is in the same boat.

Everton knew they were in Europe in March and have been able to negotiate deals on that basis. We didn't even know we'd still be in the league in March!

The quality of player we are supposedly after is only freed up when their current club buy someone else. We are a first time buyer dealing with a chain with all the frustrations which come with that.

Have we missed out on anyone? To my mind no. That says it is still early days.
BR7 Hammer

Post by BR7 Hammer »

I'd be in for James McCarthy and Kurt Zouna amongst others
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

If Defoe going to Bournemouth,
Presumably Josh king will be number one now Defoe number two, I think Callum wilson would be a good fit for us as a hard working channel running forward.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

So what do people want us to do if the clubs our targets play for are waiting to bring players in before dealing with us? Sign a load of mid-table players and then we can moan when they aren't smashing it next season.

Do we sign players easily obtainable for the sake of just seeing the money spent or actually wait a few weeks for the big clubs to start doing business and players to come back from holiday when we can start spending properly.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

DDHammer wrote:So what do people want us to do if the clubs our targets play for are waiting to bring players in before dealing with us? Sign a load of mid-table players and then we can moan when they aren't smashing it next season.

Do we sign players easily obtainable for the sake of just seeing the money spent or actually wait a few weeks for the big clubs to start doing business and players to come back from holiday when we can start spending properly.

That's what we did last season. The problem is that we have left it again and failed to give Bilic more time to gel the team. The season starts in six weeks and we have something like six preseason games to prepare. We have lots of players going out the door if you include the youngsters and one in. But there I'm overreacting.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Chippenhammer wrote: That's what we did last season. The problem is that we have left it again and failed to give Bilic more time to gel the team. The season starts in six weeks and we have something like six preseason games to prepare. We have lots of players going out the door if you include the youngsters and one in. But there I'm overreacting.
In a perfect world I think we would all want that, but the transfer market hasn't run like that for years. Other than Everton, can you point to a club at "our level" who are way ahead of us in their business?

All the mid table clubs are beholden to the big boys as our first choices are their rejects. Yes we should be scouting more widely, but for every Lanzini there are three duds. If we want proven quality that means a squad player from the top six which means we have to wait.
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Believer »

leer34 wrote:If Defoe going to Bournemouth,
Presumably Josh king will be number one now Defoe number two, I think Callum wilson would be a good fit for us as a hard working channel running forward.
Or perhaps the foolish lot think they should have 3 capable strikers available for selection. Idiots ! :)
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

Aztec Hammer wrote:We signed Giroud yet lads?
No and reports have now surfaced that Everton are trying to swipe him out from under us.

Yes, I'm talking about Giroud, not Onyekuru.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

leer34 wrote:If Defoe going to Bournemouth,
Has Callum Wilson ever been the same since his knee injury?
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

When have injury issues ever stopped us from a player,

Just think we have been at our best with a hard working channel running forward like a fit sakho,

Wilson is not going to get too much gametime now and would rather have him than someone like shane long.