Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

BR7 Hammer

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by BR7 Hammer »

I'm not sure comparing the new signings to last seasons team is helpful as we were unbalanced and unconvincing even in the position we finished
For me it's working out if we have moved forward from the season before last because the rest of the division certainly has

Hart in a tournament year will be an upgrade on Adrian
Arnie is a great player we will see how close he gets to payer of that season
Zabaleta should be an upgrade on jenkinson or an out of position Antonio but won't get that level of goals
Hernandez will be a lot more clinical than either Carroll or sakho but will not provide the same level of intensity of pressure on a back 4 that sakho did defending from the front that was key

For me it's still clear we are missing a 2nd striker to give another option and for when inevitable injuries happen however would welcome sakho back if they can get in his head
A pacy winger who will run at people as an alternative option to what we have ala Moses, shame hart is a loan as would have liked a loan to buy for Patrick Roberts
We need a bIt if steel and I actually think someone a bit cynical to dish out retribution when people like lanzini are targeted I would think james McCarthy is available
Adrian was as bad as Randolph at times last season and we can't afford to carry that good time to sell while his stock seems high as a year on the bench won't help us shift him, need a keeper young enough to accept being a 2nd choice for now but good enough to keep hart on his toes Bentley at Brentford seems sensible
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

So you get a 2nd choice striker in and then have Sakho and Carroll mopping around unsettling the other players. My point still stands you need to get rid of one of those two to bring someone in. Arsenal now with Giroud, Lacazette, Welbeck, Sanchez and Perez are the only premiership club that I can think of that has that many
Most have 2 plus a wide man who can play up front and a youngster coming through.

Getting rid of Sakho and bringing in someone like Andre Gray would be make sense. The tough part is getting rid of Sakho or Carroll.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

You've got games in the fall to sort out who should stay and who should go, then you shift whoever you can shift in January.

Say Sakho stays relatively fit and gets a few games. Say Andy does the same. They're already easier to shift than they are right now because right now nobody trusts either to stay fit.

Chicharito should and will get the majority of the minutes... but giving Sakho and Carroll the odd run out and hoping they don't break themselves further and they become much easier to shift this January than they will be any time in the next month.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't get another striker on board this window, though. Unless Bilic really is convinced that Martinez is the going to take a major step.
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

I think we are waiting for other clubs to conclude their business before bringing in a forward on loan. Carroll is number 2 so would be a player that would be number 3 in line I'm not expecting them to be good.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3173 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

It's almost like you haven't been around the last year or so, HongKongHammer. I think we'd be blooming chuffed if Sakho or Carroll were fit and ready and competing to be even at least second choice! But they havent, and Carroll in particular hasn't been that player for any of his permanent time here.

Sakho, in particular, doesn't deserve that chance, really. If he can keep his head together when (if) he gets fit, he may be able to convince the boss to push him higher up the queue, but it seems unlikely and would be negligent to assume he will. Must remember that Valencia played more minutes for us than Sakho last year!

Right now, we might get lucky in the first month and Sakho is actually an option off the bench. But it'll be luck, not planning, and this club hasn't gotten away with its poor planning for a long time, even if we haven't been punished as badly on the pitch as we could have been. Zaza, Calleri, Fletcher and Valencia played more minutes for us last season than Carroll and Sakho, and we've lost all four of them.

And all this ignores that we are quite used to having a stroppy Sakho around the place!
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

I'm fed up with Carroll like just about everyone is, but actually think he might be ok as the number 2 as he won't have so many minutes or pressure to play. Or be rushed back. He should have always been second choice imho.

As others have pointed out, we were up in arms about golds academy statement last year, so let's give Martinez third priority slot.

Sakho I just can't take with any credibility

So that's 3 (4) strikers for a one up top formation playing one game per week with international breaks. I just don't see the need to buy another striker.

That's not even taking into account arnie, ayew, Antonio etc can play up front with some credibility if 1,2,3 (4) all injured.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Alfie, you are describing an impact sub, not a second choice to start matches. We need a player who could come in and play two or three matches on the spin if hernandez gets a knock. In such a situation we absolutely would be saying to a half fit Carroll that he has to "rush back".

It is fine having Carroll in the squad (well wages apart) but he cant be relied upon to be available when needed.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

The Carroll and Sakho situation is hardly new information. Both incredibly injury prone, one of them has downed tools when we needed him in the past. Carroll is quality, but getting him on the pitch is a different matter.

Getting in a second striker this window should still be a priority. We should have learnt our lesson by now.
Harveys Hammers
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Harveys Hammers »

Since we signed Zaba and Hart have some of you forgot we are West Ham and think we are Manchester City now?!

We can't and won't stockpile players across the squad. It's unrealistic to think we can. If you want another forward in you'll have to get rid of one or AC or Sakho. Same goes for the wingers.

I'm not sure we'll get any decent quality striker coming here when they could be 4th choice when AC and Sakho are fit - as unrealistic as that may seem to all of us, it is possible.

We're not in Europe and we aren't a top four club. We've got good cover in all positions at the moment.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

So we're going to go into the season with Chicharito , Carroll , Martinez and Sakho as our forward line , while it's not ideal it's better than last year's situation .
Sakho really needs to step up to the plate or we should just terminate his contract - I can't think of any other job whereby an employer would put up with such a lengthy period of absence , so it's make-or-break time for him . If he gets his head together he could end up being used as part of a front two with Chicharito or even first choice but how much time do you give a player such as Diafra Sakho ?
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

I don't know the full story with Sakho but there's been chat about his attitude etc. Thing is when he is fit and firing he is a perfect Bilic striker, runs the channels well, pressures defenders, makes space for the midfield and can score.

The problem in that paragraph are the words, attitude, fit and firing!!
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:So we're going to go into the season with Chicharito , Carroll , Martinez and Sakho as our forward line , while it's not ideal it's better than last year's situation ?
But we aren't... we appear to be starting the season with a forward line of Hernandez and Martinez

One injury away from Martinez being our first choice striker.

Then hoping both Carroll and Sakho become available "at some point"

Agree it's still better than last year but that's not hard given Zaza and Calleri were toilet
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

MD_HM wrote:
Then hoping both Carroll and Sakho become available "at some point"

It really is like groundhog day.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We're in the final month now - prices will start to rise or fall depending on who's desperate.

Barkley now being quoted at £35m - down from £50m. They'll end up settling for £15m-£20m because no one is desperate for him.

Wilshere £20m? Arsenal will do well to get £5m. They'll get turned over on Oxlade-Chamberlain as well.

Players with less than a year left on their deals: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... evertraege" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by davids cross »

MD_HM wrote: One injury away from Martinez being our first choice striker.
Who hasn't started one PL game........let alone scored a goal at this level.

Fletcher had much more experience than Martinez and Bilic barely used Fletcher at all when we were suffering up front.

Bilic wouldn't start him anyway. If Henandez got injured. His response would be to shuffle Antonio or Ayew up the middle.....That sort of shuffling doesn't work and in Antonios case it's messing him about yet again. They are not proper strikers. It looks ok on paper but horrible when the reality bites and you have to play prolonged periods with players who are not skilled as strikers.

A "big" club should not be reliant on crossed fingers for having a decent goalscorer available. We've had to swallow that for far too long now.
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

Looks like a lot of our injured players are coming good at the right time!

Reid is down to play tonight, i'd give him 30 minutes, maybe 45 and then play him v City on Friday.

Lanzini is fit again, looking forward to see him link up with Pea and Marko tonight, and along with Ayew it could be a real tasty forward line.

Noble is still sitting out with a toe injury but will be fit to face United if required, I would start Obiang alongside Fernandes tonight, I think Fernandes is going to be a top, top player.

With Sakho also back in training, maybe he may get 30 minutes later?

All looking good.
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

Arsenal could lose hundreds of millions of pounds these next couple of windows! Sanchez & Oxlade-Chamberlain walking away for nothing potentially

Barkley will no doubt hold out for Spurs but they will not break their wage structure to land him! If we have the funds we definitely could be in with a shot here!

Personally think we will end up with Wilshere & the two lads from Athletico (Manu' mate +1)
Last edited by 1860OnceMoore on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

We did well to get 4 fantastic signings in during preseason (no offence Joseph) - usually we head into deadline day desperate for signings so we've done well so far. It makes perfect sense to start the season and see where we are but also what everyone else is doing.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

According to OS - Sakho won't be involved in the game tonight...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm personally convinced we'll bring in another striker before the window closes. No worries from me yet.

I'm also putting a lot of faith in Martinez to make the step up this season. Burke too.

Personally don't think Holland is ready yet though he does look good. He just needs to work on his decision making a little.