Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by norse »

First start for the boy. Congratulations!
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Must have been my cheeky text to Slav :lol:
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Good luck Declan.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Rice Rice baby :scarfer:
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Good luck lad. Getting what you deserve. All the best. :scarfer:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

One of the few big positives from the start of the season so far. Considering his age, he's barely put a foot wrong in 2 games away now.

Proud of him and finally an Academy boy worthy of coming through at this level. He doesn't look out of place 1 bit.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Him, Chicharito and Antonio are the only ones keeping me from jumping off the Tokyo Skytree or at least writing another expletive-ridden rant. Get in Carvalho and play him at centre half. Send Fonte to the knackersyard. Or get in Sakho at CH and keep playing Rice there with Noble, Obiang or Kouyate.

Anyway, well done Declan Rice. I wish you a long and successful career. You'll definitely have to leave us for the latter part. With our medical staff maybe the first part too.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

A good player and I'd happily give him a go in the centre of defence. He's still learning how to be a defensive midfielder though and at the moment, and despite his composure and decent passing ability, he isn't any better at that role than anyone else we have. He was struggling to track runners behind him, and occasionally got caught out too far up the field. I can't criticize him too much as he's a young lad who has mainly been developed to be a centre back. If we want to train him in a new role then the development squad is the place for that. Doing it in the first team is risky and in the long run, isn't going to do much for his confidence.

We should be looking at developing him to replace the aging Fonte and Collins, especially as we've sent our other two young centre backs out on loan for the season. We only have 2 centre backs that still have the legs for it, and one of those is injured now.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

If Reid's unavailable, I'd drop him back in defence alongside Collins for the next match who would be the ideal partner for him with those currently available. Cheltenham would be a good gauge to see how he gets on.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Declan Rice is an academy product in the same way Defoe was.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

Rice looked good, mature head on a young body.
Colours never run

carnage wrote:Declan Rice is an academy product in the same way Defoe was.

Which still makes them our Academy players, spending time with us before making their senior breakthroughs.
hammer63

Post by hammer63 »

Very similar to a young Paul Mc Grath. Hopefully can progress further and give us some hope for the future.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

carnage wrote:Declan Rice is an academy product in the same way Defoe was.
Same as Kane to Spurs then

Terry to Chelsea
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

If he is going to be part of the first team, which clearly seems to be the case, can we not give him a better number than 41?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Where does his future belong ?

Defensive midfield or Centre back ? I've got doubts as to his mobility for a DM but that might just be a little bit of puppy fat he's carrying .

He does seem composed on the ball and pays with his head up , which I think is a good sign .

Very early days yet but of he can get a dozen or so games this season that will be decent progress .
Colours never run

If we carry on the way we have been at the back and don't sign a new Centre Half, I can see him being installed as our new Centre Half sooner or later. I've actually been impressed with his speed across the pitch and covering so much of it in midfield without looking out of place, so slotting him back into defence should make it feel a little easier for him should Bilic resort to playing him in his preferred position.
southendmadhammer

Declan Rice

Post by southendmadhammer »

Think he deserves his own thread.

Really looking forward to seeing more this season. So far, he's looked very comfortable in the first team, albeit only 100 odd mins of premier league football.

I actually think he is quite similar in style to Obiang (which is no bad thing) and isnt afraid to put himself about. Promising signs.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

From tonights game it was his positional sense and his decision making that stood out. Very promising signs from young Mr Rice of a real talent if he keeps progressing.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

the pink palermo wrote:Where does his future belong ?

Defensive midfield or Centre back ? I've got doubts as to his mobility for a DM but that might just be a little bit of puppy fat
I think he'll be fine on that count Pinky, as his reading of the game will only improve with the consequent 'runs the first yards in his head'. Indeed tonight one thing I was very impressed with was the speed of his reactions...there was one incident where he won the ball then lost it after being quickly surrounded by about 3 Cheltenham players; immediately he was back on it, won the ball back, held off his man then laid it off to a wide player. Yes there's the caveat of the level of the opposition but that's countered by it only being his 2nd start.
His footballing awareness and speed of reactive thought seem spot on to me... it's very VERY early days of course, but I think those attributes could take him a long way ahead of perceived mobility issues (and as you allude to it's early impressions on those). Hopefully that will be the case, cos we're trying to spend a fortune on a ready-made version of that sort of player! ;-)