Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by MrHammer73 »

Looked very composed tonight and tall for his age.

Think he would do well in a back three with Reid and Ogbonna/Ginger Pele
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Something tells me that, unlike Burke, Oxford and Cullen, this lad is going to bypass the whole loan thing and learn his trade with us. Very promising start to his Hammers career, I'd keep him in for Newcastle, I really would.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Very, very good performance tonight. Can't judge it too much against that competition but you also can only play against what's in front of you and he excelled.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Thought he was excellent tonight, generally kept it simple but in so doing was very effective especially as he generally passed it quickly. Loved the way he was even telling others where the ball should be going. As for a role at CH, if we play a 3 maybe use him in that but would be concerned if part of a 4, he will make mistakes and these will be punished more as a defender than as a midfielder. Really nice to see a youngster getting proper game time. Can see another start Saturday as Kouyate builds back to fitness (presuming we do not sign anyone of course).
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

The boy is mustard.
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

A thinking mans Carvahlo
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

I'd like to see him versus Newcastle too but I'm sure Kouyate will be in for him. Lanzini still out? Then it'll be Obiang, Kouyate and Noble in the middle. Hopefully Noble further forward of the three. Excited to see what it will be and whether Bilic's decision is vindicated. As a romantic I'd like to see Rice, Noble and Kouyate play and rip them apart.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

He's not put a foot wrong so far and doesn't deserve to be dropped. It was Noble that lost the ball in midfield for the first goal against Southampton and should've been sent off. I think the guy deserves a run in the team, especially if he's doing the job that he's been asked to do, and well.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

playing well in midfield and does not looked fazed by it all.
stays in the team in midfield only not CH.
if you are good enough you are old enough he is at the moment
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Long, long way to go. Let's not get too carried away.

I think he needs to break the opposition's play up more, he's a bit of a bystander when they have the ball. Plus he needs to play more passes that hurt the opposition, rather than recycling the ball sideways.

It's a bit harsh to judge him like that, I know, given that he's still a toddler. The possibilities are exciting, but they're just possibilities for now.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Long, long way to go. Let's not get too carried away.

I think he needs to break the opposition's play up more, he's a bit of a bystander when they have the ball. Plus he needs to play more passes that hurt the opposition, rather than recycling the ball sideways.

It's a bit harsh to judge him like that, I know, given that he's still a toddler. The possibilities are exciting, but they're just possibilities for now.
I tend to agree Monks.

I'm also glad he's not English too, the wankfest would be too much to take.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

He's a tidy player... might actually be able to play it out from the back a bit better if he played centre back. If he plays DM then he's going to need someone alongside him capable of moving the ball up the pitch effectively. I agree with monkeybubbles.
terryturbo
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by terryturbo »

Insane strength for someone of his age. I wanna see him have a pop now and again though. A couple of times it opened up and I think there's a rocket in there. Once Noble is out of the side he will be even better
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

terryturbo wrote: Once Noble is out of the side
We're just days away from people calling for a hit squad to assassinate him .

They'll make a classic British gangster movie about it .

Get Noble .
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

terryturbo wrote: Once Noble is out of the side he will be even better
How will that help Rice?
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

terryturbo wrote:Once Noble is out of the side he will be even better
:lol: Must be a wind up
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

To cope in the Premier League, in midfield, you have to have strength, you have to be able to mix it, unless you have top drawer players all around you. Rice is strong, especially for a lad that age.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Jumby wrote:To cope in the Premier League, in midfield, you have to have strength, you have to be able to mix it, unless you have top drawer players all around you. Rice is strong, especially for a lad that age.

Yep, he's also as sharp as a tack. He's always 100% switched on which is rare to see in someone so young at the highest level. Always moving into space to receive a pass if necessary, or looking all around him to see where the next pass should go or spitting where the danger is next coming from. Very encouraging signs. As an Englishman, I'm gutted he's chosen Ireland but understand why. Think he was born in England though.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Of course there's a way to go but he looks a very promising player and far more ready than any of our youngsters have looked in over a decade - I'd expect him to get more than a handful of games this season.
To me though he definitely doesn't look capable of playing cb (as part of a flat back 4 anyway, maybe in a 3 he could) but he looks the part as a DM. I think Burke looks more ready to step in as a CB and hopefully we see some progress with Oxford out in Germany.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Long, long way to go. Let's not get too carried away.

No one watching the game could tell he was the kid among the other older players. You don't know what his remit was so don't criticize him for not making more passes that hurt the opposition, especially when others in the team were attempting that.

I completely disagree that he was a bystander when the opposition had the ball, I have not watched the TV replay but from inside the ground I remember very well he battled for the ball and his tackling was as good as anyone else.

He will make mistakes, as does every other player. Zabaleta demonstrated that clearly enough against Southampton

I think describing him as a toddler is ridiculous, his footballing ability, game play and maturity is way beyond what that glib comment suggests.