West ham United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: West ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread

Post by taffhammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
That's how I saw it too - People blame the Andy Carroll substitution but he had played an integral part in the Huddersfield win and the draw at West Brom and Bilic thought that he was the best choice ahead of Ayew and Sakho
Thing was the ball through for the wide players to run on to was working, so i think it was worth the risk to continue the tactic with Sakho rather than change with Carroll.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

simonirons wrote:I say half, but skimming through the list, I’d say only 10 of them haven’t been a complete waste of money (and that includes 2 for the future)

And that there is the regular Sullivan defence of his transfer policy.
He states that as we dont pay much for these players its not much of a gamble, Mido being his prime example whom he regularly advises (whoever wants to listen), that we were only paying 1k a week for his services and therefore was a bargain. He just stops short of saying he was the buy of the season but you just know deep down thats what he really thinks.
But that list in a nutshell summarises the Sullivan ethos, desperate for some sort of deal or bargain above all else. Quality just doesnt come into it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Ladzini wrote:The day that mouth-breather Kane gets his career-ended the better. Alli will **** off for big money before long anyway.
Have a word with yourself.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

sendô wrote:
Have a word with yourself.
Sorry mate yeh I hope he wins the Baloon D'Or
mushy

Post by mushy »

taffhammer wrote:
Thing was the ball through for the wide players to run on to was working, so i think it was worth the risk to continue the tactic with Sakho rather than change with Carroll.
Maybe Sakho didnt fancy it again, either way he is no Antonio and neither is Ayew, both are completely different type players as is Carroll.
Whatever we were going to do at that time our style of play was about to change dramatically.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

mushy wrote: Maybe Sakho didnt fancy it again, either way he is no Antonio and neither is Ayew, both are completely different type players as is Carroll.
Whatever we were going to do at that time our style of play was about to change dramatically.

Agreed it was inevitable what the plan was going to be was hoofing it up to Carroll.
Maybe Sakho didn't fancy it but he is better out wide than Hernandez as he runs the channels so well.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Ladzini wrote:EDITED

I clearly underestimated how many Spurs fans all post here and take offence at disliking their players.

I apologise if me wishing ill-fortune on Harry Kane has caused any upset. :?

Jesus Christ.
Got f*** all to do with 'Spurs Fans'. The main thing is that most of us are not utter c****.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

mushy wrote: Maybe Sakho didnt fancy it again, either way he is no Antonio and neither is Ayew, both are completely different type players as is Carroll.
Well as i saw it the ball through was working on the left , on the right Antonio looked a bit of the pace. If Sakho came on ( playing the way can) it was well worth the gamble. Lets face it they were all over the shop at the back and when Carroll came on they knew what our tactic was going to change to and they easily dealt with it. Hindsight is a wonderfull thing :wink:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Regarding the Carroll sub, at the time it was made how many on here at the time called it a bad decision? I don't know because I haven't had the time to trawl back through the match thread and just curious if it was widely criticised at the time. There may have been many as there are now saying it but I remember at the time everyone around me wasn't complaining he was coming on, in fact I heard some saying he should have started from the beginning anyway.

Looking back it didn't look like the right decision after the errors were made but how many hand on heart thought it was the wrong thing to do still playing as a 343 which has picked up points and better performances of late.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Colours never run wrote:Regarding the Carroll sub, at the time it was made how many on here at the time called it a bad decision? I don't know because I haven't had the time to trawl back through the match thread and just curious if it was widely criticised at the time. There may have been many as there are now saying it but I remember at the time everyone around me wasn't complaining he was coming on, in fact I heard some saying he should have started from the beginning anyway.

Looking back it didn't look like the right decision after the errors were made but how many hand on heart thought it was the wrong thing to do still playing as a 343 which has picked up points and better performances of late.
In fairness, a few did voice their concerns at the time. Since the sheep have seen an opportunity to poke Bilic again, though, the bleating has been deafening.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

If many did, fair enough and respect that. I just question those that do it only after hindsight if they're being honest with themselves and say it because it suits their anti Bilic rhetoric.

Other thing that crosses my mind was the last time Ayew was brought on, the decision got booed by a fair few yet proved to be a good decision so he can't win half the time.

And who's to say that had either Sakho and Ayew came on cold in the 1st half wouldn't have made a similar error either. It's the worst time to come on as it's so unexpected normally.

Edit - just had a look and I read 2 people saying it should have been someone other than Carroll at the time the sub was made. Was expecting to read more to be honest.
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Long-time lurker, first time poster with a couple of thoughts from the game.

We seem to have a pretty bad habit of dropping our heads and opening the floodgates once the first goal goes it. It seems any sort of defensive cohesion we start the game with goes out the window and it seems almost inevitable that a second will end up in the back of our net fairly shortly. Aurier gave us a lifeline yesterday but we gave ourselves too much to do by that point.

I had expected Carroll to start but was quite pleased with the front 3. The Antonio injury was unfortunate but the Ayew swap would have been the better choice for me because we had obviously set the team up to go out and play a certain way but bringing Carroll on dictates certain changes to the game plan which came too early and unsettled the team.

Feared the worst when the 3rd went in and a bit disappointed we didn’t manage to take something away from the game, but I’m hoping we salvaged some confidence and momentum for Swansea.

(The MOTD pundits are sh*tbags aren’t they?!)
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I honestly couldn't believe the Carroll sub at the time, to me it just feels like there is a desperation to get him in the team. When he didn't start i was surprised admittedly, but it was clear it was tactical from the way we started. The plan to counter, and fill the spaces left by their full backs was working so well, we looked the most likely team to score. Antonio getting injured was obviously a massive blow but Ayew or Sakho would have been able to play a similar role and get in behind, so i don't see why he originally drops Carroll for tactical reasons and then totally changes the plan when forced to despite the fact its working well?

We were completely out of the game after that sub and Spurs got on top and battered us. If it wasn't for the red card we could have lost that by 5 or 6 comfortably.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

It was my birthday on Saturday, I have very little recollection of anything.

Yet to watch the game back, so where would be a good page to start from on this thread, to read a sensibly balanced review of the match?

Thanks in advance.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

somerset-hammer wrote:It was my birthday on Saturday, I have very little recollection of anything.

Yet to watch the game back, so where would be a good page to start from on this thread, to read a sensibly balanced review of the match?

Thanks in advance.
Happy birthday. Don't go spoiling it.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Funny old game, left the stadium not sure what I had just witnessed.

Biggest thing for me was, if we set up and defend like that against City we will beaten by 6! I like the 3 at the back, but they have so much work to do with positioning etc., maybe against the top 5/6 we go to a back four, as the top 5/6 teams movement will kill us, and stay for the 3 at the back for the other games?? In truth I am not sure.

Having almost 48 hours to think about the game, plus a journey up and back along the M4, I am still not sure about the game :D

We are lacking something this season, but I have not got a Scooby what it is today!
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: In fairness, a few did voice their concerns at the time. Since the sheep have seen an opportunity to poke Bilic again, though, the bleating has been deafening.
Please don't include me in that generalisation, i'm very pro Bilic. My opinion was based on what i watched infront of me as we were making their defence struggle. I think he got it wrong this time and like i said hindsight is a wonderfull thing, it might have worked.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: I like the 3 at the back, but they have so much work to do with positioning etc., maybe against the top 5/6 we go to a back four, as the top 5/6 teams movement will kill us, and stay for the 3 at the back for the other games?? In truth I am not sure.
I think your right, Ogbonna is the weak link in a back 3. I thought Reid had a great game.
mushy

Post by mushy »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Having almost 48 hours to think about the game, plus a journey up and back along the M4, I am still not sure about the game :D

We are lacking something this season, but I have not got a Scooby what it is today!
Sense of direction?
Am fairly sure you cannot get to Clacton along the M4.
CazzaVR
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by CazzaVR »

I think Arthur should've come on for Carroll.