Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by sgb1972 »

carnage wrote:Our owners will look at the state we are in and prepare for the Championship. Quite a few outs and a couple of loans in. We will be lucky to have 15 points by Jan 1st.

It’s all gone wrong because of their transfer dealings. Not backing Bilic after we finished 7th, selling Payet (on the cheap)and a complete clusterfuck of a transfer policy since.

Nobody will convince me the players we got in during the summer were Biluc’s 1st choices which is completely different to Bilic wanting them.
Well said, I blame the Director of Football.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Awful thread. It's groundhog day on here. Waiting for players that will never come. It's just depressing.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

We'll spend nowt I reckon.

OFT's hopeless suggestion:-

Get rid of those that want out, whoever they are.
Of those that stay, play the ones who could still be here next season(e.g. Adrian over Hart) irrespective of any 'have to play if fit clauses'(feck 'em and their agents)
Recall as many as it's possible to, under the terms of their loans.
Try and find out which among them has the heart for the club and stomach for the job at hand.

Go for broke.

:crest:
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote:Image

Cheap, RB, out of contract in the summer.
His whoscored qualities make typical reading for a defender we're linked with.....would be nice to be linked with a defender who is rated for defensive contibution, tackling, aerial or any of the, you know, actual defensive qualities.....rather than 'dribbling', and happens to have 'value' as they're in contract run down or available on a deferred payment plan

Ps passing = very weak
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Daniel Opare described by the Sun as Ex Real Madrid so thinking he may have something I looked further - only to discover he was signed for Real Madrid C , Real's second reserve side . Hmmm , ok .
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Hart cant go back? What the fudge??
Lools like we are right over a barrel. No doubt we will have the usual excuses being rolled out

Sell to buy
No value to be had
Loans do work
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

What a clusterf*** situation.

I think Sullivan will spend in January, in a desperate attempt not to get relegated. Saying that I don’t think he’ll spend big, but who will be doing the transfers? I suppose Moyes will have to bring in the players he wants as he’s tasked with trying to keep us up, and the right thing to do would be to let him bring in those players. But as he’s only here for 6 months, and he could in theory be sacked before his contract expires, Sullivan will be scrutinising those transfers like he did in the Bilic / Carvalho situation.

I have no idea who’d come in. I suppose some centre backs from the lower leagues and maybe a few oddball foreign loans.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Seems like a certain mr Payet is not having a very good time back in France. Getting slaughtered by the press and completely out of the national team picture. Cheeky loan bid?
Our owners completely blew it in the last 3 transfer windows. Watford signed Richarlson, Hughes and Chalobah for what we paid for Arnautovic. Their average age is 21, and all 3 have contributed more positively than any member of our squad. This is our most important transfer window ever, they need to get it 100% right.
I know the old adage is bring in championship players and you end up in the championship, but we seem to be headed there with champions league players, and many championship players, especially young ones like Creswell, Hughes, Cook, Wood, Gomez, Lookman, Gray have all made the step up easily. Two players I would go for would be Domenic Iorfa and Kortney Hause from Wolves. Both East End / Essex boys, both 22, both would improve us defensively, both would be assets in the Premier league and Championship and neither would break the bank. As we are stuck with Hart for the rest of the season, I would sell Adrian ( soon to be 31) and bring in Daniel Bentley (24) .
I also think the only players we can recruit are those who are either paid much less by poor teams or those who need playing time. Also players who are out of favour with their new manager may be worth a look.
Walcott, Wilshere,Iheanacho, Oliver Burke, Lookman, Besic, McCarthy Shaw and Solanke all fit that mold, and all would help us immensely. The problem is we can only have two loans from the premier league and we have wasted me on Hart.
Last edited by Peaches on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

The point is,we are deeply,deeply in the ****.The players needed to avoid relegation would have to be very,very good and I mean proper Premiership players with experience,commitment,talent,right attitude,fitness etc etc the whole works.And not just 1 or 2,maybe 4 or 5.Now our owners are utterly incapable/unwilling of signing those players when things are going well so how the f*** are they going to sign them when we are bottom of the league in the January window when they aren't available anyway?The January window is going to be an absolute farce of GSB spin/incompetence/lies/failure and I for one am actually looking forward to it.I have accepted relegation and am now going to enjoy the GSB misery and humiliation whilst abusing David Gold on Twatter at every available opportunity.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Our squad is fine, we need a right back or Zab to learn he isn't 25 anymore. A defensive midfielder is important and probably a striker as surely Sakho will go.

In an ideal world Dendocker as the DM, striker god knows, they are going to have to accept being second choice to Hernadez and right back wise, not a clue. I'd go after Ben Arfa(on loan no way on perm, he is a lunatic) and I don't think we would have a chance but Germain will be surplus to requirements at Atheltico

We will end up with Wilshere on loan, a player that once good in DM so John Obi Mikel or someone of that ilk. Striker wise probably a once big name now doing nothing, more than likely an Itlian so Pazzini
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Peaches wrote:As we are stuck with Hart for the rest of the season,
There is no way Hart will be here next season. Consequently, we may as well switch back to Adrian soon.

We'll either be in the championship (he won't want to be down there) or we'll be in the premier league with limited funds and wrestling with the fact that our squad really hasn't performed to expectation - some players are ageing, some of the young ones really haven't trained on well. The money won't go on Hart. He's been okay in the main (Wednesday's f*** up excepted) but not enough of a step up to justify big, unsubsidised wages.

As for championship players stepping up - Cresswell, Byram, Antonio haven't showed well this season and I'd argue that they often didn't last year (along with Randolph).

When I list our squad down and ask myself, "how many definitely won't be here next season if we go down" - I come up with a relatively small list that consists almost entirely of players who were bought for proper fees, not two bob punts or lifts from the Fizz.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Sully will be scouring YOUTUBE for an Ilan or a Franco loan.
We'll end up with a Mido or a Blanco.
We might actually buy a couple of "experienced" (i.e. ageing,injury-prone mercenaries) out of sheer desperation.
ludo22

Post by ludo22 »

fmgod wrote:Our squad is fine, we need a right back or Zab to learn he isn't 25 anymore. A defensive midfielder is important and probably a striker as surely Sakho will go.

In an ideal world Dendocker as the DM, striker god knows, they are going to have to accept being second choice to Hernadez and right back wise, not a clue. I'd go after Ben Arfa(on loan no way on perm, he is a lunatic) and I don't think we would have a chance but Germain will be surplus to requirements at Atheltico

We will end up with Wilshere on loan, a player that once good in DM so John Obi Mikel or someone of that ilk. Striker wise probably a once big name now doing nothing, more than likely an Itlian so Pazzini
It really,really isn't.It's utter *****.1 decent striker(Chicarito),no decent midfielders,aging flaky underperforming defenders,Lanzini and bit of potential in Arnie.The squad is garbage.You can go on all you like about Obiang,Kouyate and Fernandes but they are *****.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

I liked Franco
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

ludo22 wrote: It really,really isn't.It's utter *****.1 decent striker(Chicarito),no decent midfielders,aging flaky underperforming defenders,Lanzini and bit of potential in Arnie.The squad is garbage.You can go on all you like about Obiang,Kouyate and Fernandes but they are *****.
We've got three strikers who are decent, four if you want to count Ayew. Yeah everybody is under performing. Not sure what has happened to Obiang, Kouyate to me is a CB, always has been, isn't good enough to pass the ball etc. Not sure what Fernandes does.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Said this in another thread, this transfer window is where we will find out if the Daves want us to stay up.

If they come out and really back Moyes, put their money where their huge, overinflated mouths are, then we have a chance of retaining our Premier league status. If not, if they do what they usually do and go cheap - or worse, spend the money where we don't need it aka Ayew/Arnautovic when we could have played Antonio in his favored left side - then we are as good as down.

Bring in a CD, a DM, a RB, and anyone that can play in the middle to the front of the pitch that has speed. Sell, hell, just about anyone, but Kouyate would be wonderful. Time for our passengers to depart this sinking ship.
ludo22

Post by ludo22 »

fmgod wrote:
We've got three strikers who are decent, four if you want to count Ayew. Yeah everybody is under performing. Not sure what has happened to Obiang, Kouyate to me is a CB, always has been, isn't good enough to pass the ball etc. Not sure what Fernandes does.
3 decent strikers?Carroll is a liability who stopped being effective quite a long time ago,Sakho is mentally ill and doesn't want to play for us and Ayew is,at best,low level premiership standard.Noble has gone,Obiang,Kouyate and Fernandes can run around a lot but can't pass,shoot,score or defend.Reid is now pants,Cresswell seem to have forgotten how to be a footballer,Masuaku can't defend at all,Ogbonna is beyond terrible,Collins and Zab are 65,Byram isn't good enough and in goal,we have a overpriced ex-England player who,the whole world seems to know but us, is a mess.Adrian is OK and our only proper player,Lanzini,is clearly struggling because the rest of the team is so poor.The squad is appalling.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

fmgod wrote: We've got three strikers who are decent, four if you want to count Ayew. Yeah everybody is under performing. Not sure what has happened to Obiang, Kouyate to me is a CB, always has been, isn't good enough to pass the ball etc. Not sure what Fernandes does.
Today our match day squad of 18 will have 6 kids 21 or younger 5 will be under 20 and will have a combined 400 minutes of senior football. We have the second oldest squad in the league. Reid, Carroll and Sakho are all in the top 6 in the league of matches missed due to injuryover the last 3years, and Collins and Byram aren’t far behind, our average centre back age is 31.3 years the oldest in all 4 divisions. We have no recognizable defensive midfielder, our 4 central midfielders are all hugely flawed...... but yes the squad is fine.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

It's the managers job thought to manage the squad, Carroll a year ago was thought of as a good target man, Sakho yeah off the walls, Ayew is the one I don't get all the abuse for, he is easily good enough for a Europe chasing side, these are his stats when starting games and only half of these would've been upfront 23 Starts 8 goals, cracking stats.

I won't go through player by player Ludo but our squad is easily better than some others, it comes down to the manager to make them work with what he has, some of the teams above us in the league have vastly weaker(on paper and cost wise) squads yet massively out performing us
ludo22

Post by ludo22 »

fmgod wrote:It's the managers job thought to manage the squad, Carroll a year ago was thought of as a good target man, Sakho yeah off the walls, Ayew is the one I don't get all the abuse for, he is easily good enough for a Europe chasing side, these are his stats when starting games and only half of these would've been upfront 23 Starts 8 goals, cracking stats.

I won't go through player by player Ludo but our squad is easily better than some others, it comes down to the manager to make them work with what he has, some of the teams above us in the league have vastly weaker(on paper and cost wise) squads yet massively out performing us
Sorry but I'm not buying it.Forget cost,I don't see a worse squad than ours.We've got 1 good player.