AFC Bournemouth 3-3 West Ham Utd (26/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

Up the Junction wrote: Five yards outside the penalty area, roughly central. So in no position whatsoever to overrule his assistant.

Aye and of course unless he has x ray vision, he can't be sure the player didn't handle it or how close the offside decision was and should have trusted his officials decision better placed to see either/or offside/handball. Any way you slice it, the call was a shocking one.

If I was the Lino who made the call, I'd be thinking you ain't got a clue mate.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Must admit... that's the first time ive ever seen a ref run over to the linesman to convince him that he didn't see what he thinks he saw. :eh:

Really struggling with this.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Must admit... that's the first time ive ever seen a ref run over to the linesman to convince him that he didn't see what he thinks he saw. :eh:

Along with 99% of the rest of us mate, I don't think I've ever seen that, baffling stuff. How can a man with no way of seeing what happened overule someone who is there to look along the line of play for these exact incidents?
Douthy
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 128 likes

Post by Douthy »

Can only assume that the lino thought it was handball, not offside, and that the ref felt he had seen it better and that he felt it was not a handball.

All a bit b*llocks to be fair.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Must admit... that's the first time ive ever seen a ref run over to the linesman to convince him that he didn't see what he thinks he saw. :eh:

My only thought here is that the ref doesn't think he's touched the ball. He goes over to the lino and asks him whether he's been flagged because he thought he did touch it.

The ref is convinced there's no touch, ergo not offside.
bowltorious

Post by bowltorious »

Will be looking forward to the 'analysis' on MOTD, if you can call it that, and also the opposition views.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

There has got to be a furore kicked up by the club about serious foul play and the refereeing...someone with some conviction and clout at our club needs to stand up and demand they look at the evidence with the same thoroughness that got Lanzini banned...anyone who thinks that these refs and people on the inside of football can’t conspire and collaborate for random moments during games against a particular club - you are wrong. It’s the same as it is when so much is seen to be made that bit easier for certain clubs. It really is that easy to do and wouldn’t take much communication and understanding. We have been stepped on by the authorities in the game since the Tevez issue.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

We also need to remember that the player, in an offside position, doesn't even need to touch the ball, just attempt to touch it to become active, which he clearly does. Not sure I would call it conspiracy, but at the very least it is appalling officiating. If the assistant raises his flag, it must be for an infringement and in 99.99% of cases you never see a referee over rule unless he has seen a mitigating circumstance. I struggle to see in this instance what that may be.

Other than that I thought it a cracking game played in atrocious conditions. Although disappointed to lose two points at the end, it was probably a 'fair' result IMO. Still worried about us defensively, but I think Moyes can correct that. What is harder for teams in our position is scoring goals, which I think we have well covered.
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

bowltorious wrote:Will be looking forward to the 'analysis' on MOTD, if you can call it that, and also the opposition views.
I'm not sure I've got the temperament to watch it.......in fact I have n't, any smirking or suchlike could put my TV at risk
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

WorcesterWHU wrote:
My only thought here is that the ref doesn't think he's touched the ball. He goes over to the lino and asks him whether he's been flagged because he thought he did touch it.

The ref is convinced there's no touch, ergo not offside.
Well if that's the case the ref has majorly gone out of his way to overrule his linesman who has clear sight of it. It actually looks likes he's intimidating him to agree with him. Combine that with the kouyate incident it's hard to see how this isn't personal against West Ham.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Gerblatz wrote:There has got to be a furore kicked up by the club about serious foul play and the refereeing...someone with some conviction and clout at our club needs to stand up and demand they look at the evidence with the same thoroughness that got Lanzini banned...anyone who thinks that these refs and people on the inside of football can’t conspire and collaborate for random moments during games against a particular club - you are wrong. It’s the same as it is when so much is seen to be made that bit easier for certain clubs. It really is that easy to do and wouldn’t take much communication and understanding. We have been stepped on by the authorities in the game since the Tevez issue.

It really does stem way back to that initially. We were hated by most of the footballing world after that happened and it isn't just the last 3 season's we've suffered with awful decisions.

I really do think that in the back of their minds they don't like us and want to see us do poorly.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:...............................

it's hard to see how this isn't personal against West Ham.
I wonder if the very loud and clearly audible chant of "You're just a c**t with a whistle" after the foot-in-the-face incident got to him :twisted:
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Gerblatz wrote:There has got to be a furore kicked up by the club about serious foul play and the refereeing...someone with some conviction and clout at our club needs to stand up and demand they look at the evidence with the same thoroughness that got Lanzini banned...anyone who thinks that these refs and people on the inside of football can’t conspire and collaborate for random moments during games against a particular club - you are wrong. It’s the same as it is when so much is seen to be made that bit easier for certain clubs. It really is that easy to do and wouldn’t take much communication and understanding. We have been stepped on by the authorities in the game since the Tevez issue.
That should be the owners you’d imagine but I wonder if anyone takes them seriously in any respect
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

... And we are told that referees get the major decisions right what is it 95% of the time from the powers that be. Yet another mathmatical Improbability (I would claim impossible) of course in such a complex business. But once again the available evidence we/anybody can call upon would suggest they would be lucky to exceed 75% ands that's being generous. Fact is like all establishments wherever you find them they have a touch of Sullivan about them ie 'truth is what we say it is' they just say it with the authority of a posher accent.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

OK, devil's advocacy time:

What if the ref thought that

(a) the player was level, or so close to level that the benefit of the doubt was in his favour, and
(b) the handball was accidental, after it had brushed off his head.

Would the goal still fairly and, more importantly, correctly stand?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

prophet:marginal wrote:OK, devil's advocacy time:

(a) the player was level, or so close to level that the benefit of the doubt was in his favour, and

But why would the ref think he was level, if the lino was flagging? He simply has to use his lino for that decision.

He should have to face the media and explain it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I wasn't watching at the time (and haven't seen the linesman flag).

Was he indicating 'handball' or 'offside'?
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Interviewed on 5live after the game, Wilson admitted it was a handball.By still claiming the goal therefore,he is guilty of serious misconduct. Clearly a long suspension will ensue.........
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

The linesman has presumably flagged for offside, the ref can only say not if he doesn't believe that Wilson is interfering. So consultation could only be "did he touch it?". I assume the ref and Bournemouth players pressured the linesman to say he wasn't sure.

Madely should serve a ban but the powers that be will feel that they have to back him.
bowltorious

Post by bowltorious »

prophet:marginal wrote:OK, devil's advocacy time:

If the ball hits your hand and goes in regardless of whether you meant it then it shouldn't stand.