West Ham Utd 0-3 Burnley: match thread (10/03/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

FAH_1973

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by FAH_1973 »

Aguero was more in danger than any player was today.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Sir Trev :lol:

That's just wonderful!
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 281 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

TheHandOfDog wrote: Yeah of course we would have been better off with a 1-0 win but they scored first so that scenario had nothing to do with any protest. We don't do too well coming back to win points so I doubt the protests would have changed anything more than a point.
Not saying it did. Just making the point that it was hard to know how to feel leaving the ground today. If this is the first step in the rebirth of West Ham and the exit of our glorious leaders, then enduring that shambolic second half performance would be worth it for the momentum it gave the protests. . If it means we get relegated but the board still stick around for the next 1,2,5 years, then maybe I'd rather have left the ground with the short term enjoyment of a win. Not saying the protests affected the result.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Fair enough
chuffster
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by chuffster »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Sir Trev :lol:

Is David Sullivan hiding in a West Ham bag to his right?
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

DD wrote:Did some absolute bell-end just ask about the relevance of picking up the corner flag. Have a read-up ffs
Not everyone will know about something that happened 26 years ago FFS. Do us all a favour and wind your neck in.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2782 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Het-Field wrote: Well, there was to be a protest march, unilaterally called off by the organisers (some of whom certainly do not represent me, at any level). But peaceful protest is available through letter writing, absence on match day, non
Renewal of season tickets and memberships.
Letter writing? Seriously? :thdn:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

GaryP wrote: Not everyone will know about something that happened 26 years ago FFS. Do us all a favour and wind your neck in.
Likewise pickle :wink:
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Everyone ready for the MoTD pundit rage-fest :D
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Just saw Nobes post match interview. Very disappointing. He know's the score, he could and should have dealt with that a lot better.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Hammer.CA wrote: Letter writing? Seriously? :thdn:
Reminds of the Red Dwarf episode where they have a killer alien on board which feeds on their emotions and turns Rimmer into a hippy.

"I say we hit it with a major...and I mean major leaflet campaign".
Katie

Post by Katie »

Loved today. There’s life in the old girl yet.
IABATAC
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by IABATAC »

I’m reading lots of comments on social media and listening to people calling into various post match radio phone-ins that are condemning the actions of some people in the ground today. They accuse these people of costing us points, upsetting the players, bringing shame on the club and claiming that these people “are not fans”. Tomorrow the Sunday rags will be full of similar accusations. This post is for people who feel this way.

It is important to understand that not all fans see things the same way and then act accordingly. The events surrounding the RWHF(AG) over the last 10 days bring this fact into sharp relief. I would argue that there is only one thing we can all agree on - we all want the team to do well. Outside of this, things that are important to one person might no be so important to the next person: I’ve got friends that are happy with the stadium while I hate it. I wanted to march, they weren’t particularly interested. I see the current owners as the most toxic and dangerous threat to future of this club, they don’t see it quite that way. I could spend ages outlining the differences between but us but neither would accuse the other of not being a fan.

In my opinion, the people whose actions are being criticised ARE fans. For example, if the man who went on the pitch today with the corner flag is the same man I spoke to at the Boleyn after he made an impassioned speech about what it meant to be a West Ham fan and what West Ham meant to him, then it is inconceivable that this person could be accused of not being a fan. To those who know it and those who don’t but need to understand it (both fans and players), the taking of the corner flag and placing it in the centre circle was a very symbolic statement. Back in the early 90’s when the Bond Scheme was about to ruin our club, one man took it upon himself to do this very thing and it was the catalyst for a movement that ultimately stopped the scheme. Was he universally supported? No - there were more people in the stands than went on the pitch that day and subsequently. There were hundreds of people who supported the Bond Scheme and paid into it. But I’m absolutely certain that there are fans (some of whom weren’t even alive then) that wouldn’t be going today if the Bond Scheme hadn’t been stopped.

The people who made their protest today were doing what they believe needed to be done for the greater good of the club and by extension the fans who are currently criticising them. You might not agree with what they did and/or the way they did it, that’s up to you. But please don’t think they did it for a laugh. Please don’t think they weren’t sincere. Please don’t think they took this action lightly. Most of them will get a ban and probably face charges. But they did it anyway because they see things in a different way from you and felt they had no choice but to act. It doesn’t make them more or less of a fan than you but it certainly doesn’t give you the right to accuse them of not being fans.

The way I see it, some people might not realise it now but in time to come, if GSB continue running the club the way they have been, it won’t matter anyway - we’ll all be former fans of that club that used to play attractive football in claret and blue, what were they called? West something or other wasn’t it?

And just for clarity because I’m seeing that photo of him sitting all alone, yes STB was in the directors’ box and after the illustrious owners ran away to hide, he stayed. And those protesting know that he knows what’s going on. And to a man they chanted his name like we all used to when he played. It was the same when Bonzo came out to speak to the fans on the pitch back in the early 90’s. It was about the board then and it’s about the board now, no one else.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Nice post IABATAC :thup:
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Hammer.CA wrote: Letter writing? Seriously? :thdn:
smuts wrote: Reminds of the Red Dwarf episode where they have a killer alien on board which feeds on their emotions and turns Rimmer into a hippy.

"I say we hit it with a major...and I mean major leaflet campaign".
Thank you. As soon as I saw that post, I was wracking my brains trying to think of that quote and where it came from. :thup: :)
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Phone footage of protest under Sully's nose. Strong language

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FYcjyHRdqkA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

IABATAC wrote:In my opinion, the people whose actions are being criticised ARE fans. For example, if the man who went on the pitch today with the corner flag is the same man I spoke to at the Boleyn after he made an impassioned speech about what it meant to be a West Ham fan and what West Ham meant to him, then it is inconceivable that this person could be accused of not being a fan. To those who know it and those who don’t but need to understand it (both fans and players), the taking of the corner flag and placing it in the centre circle was a very symbolic statement. Back in the early 90’s when the Bond Scheme was about to ruin our club, one man took it upon himself to do this very thing and it was the catalyst for a movement that ultimately stopped the scheme. Was he universally supported? No - there were more people in the stands than went on the pitch that day and subsequently. There were hundreds of people who supported the Bond Scheme and paid into it. But I’m absolutely certain that there are fans (some of whom weren’t even alive then) that wouldn’t be going today if the Bond Scheme hadn’t been stopped.
Do protests really work? No bond, no ticket
"An unmitigated PR disaster, West Ham launched its Bond Scheme in 1991 in a bid to fund the redevelopment of the Boleyn Ground. By asking supporters to purchase bonds in three price bands - £500, £750 and £950 - the club stated that ownership would give the right to buy a matchday ticket or season ticket for a designated seat for a period of 150 years.

Furious supporters disrupted two home matches against Everton and Arsenal by conducting pitch invasions in protest at the scheme, while they also held post-match demonstrations. A combination of poor sales - only 808 fans took up bonds - and anger among supporters forced West Ham to back track and announce that the purchase of a bond would no longer be required to buy a season ticket. Interestingly, the 808 bond holders were given priority to choose their seats at the Olympic Stadium - their home ground for next season."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footb ... -work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

DD wrote:Did some absolute bell-end just ask about the relevance of picking up the corner flag. Have a read-up ffs
DD once agaim showing his warrior characteristics. of the keyboard variety.

calling fellow fan names. you were likely one of the morons bickering/fighting with your own today.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Fair play to Frank Lampard thought he would be a lot more damming of our support.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Call that a pitch invasion...? ??

On the 28th of April ,1923, my Great Great Grannie's neighbour's horse..etc...etc... :asleep: