Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by The Gibbins »

I think Ki is a decent player but he seems to be quite inconsistent. I just don't like signing players that have spent the last few years fighting relegation, i feel like players bring that mentality with them and we have enough of it already :lol:
yonni
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by yonni »

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

We currently have no confirmed manager.
World cup dates (during which many players will not negotiate a deal) June 14th -15 July
Window closes at 5pm 9 August.

Expect some early deals that the manager may or may not want when he comes in, along with a drawn out "name" that we offer nowhere near the asking price for and never appears.
Expect to lose some key players who will not be replaced.

Not trying to be negative but GSB have put us in this position and they have a very clear track record of this type of behaviour. I'd be extremely surprised if our net spend was more than £20 million and we end up with an improved squad.

Please someone, tell me it won't be as bad as I imagine it will be?!?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

yonni wrote:Please someone, tell me it won't be as bad as I imagine it will be?!?
No. It'll be worse than that.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Adding Ki to a group that already includes Obiang and Noble would be largely pointless.

Whoever the manager is next season needs to add something different to central midfield – at a bare minimum someone more physical and defensively minded to upgrade the "Kouyate" position. But ideally also another central midfielder who offers more creativity in the middle third. So we're not stuck asking the likes of Rice, Noble & Obiang to provide playmaking skill they don't possess whenever Lanzini is not available.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

yonni wrote:Please someone, tell me it won't be as bad as I imagine it will be?!?
EvilC wrote:
No. It'll be worse than that.

East_London_Hammer

Post by East_London_Hammer »

we will sign ki, we will sign another free after him, we will get a couple of loans, one of them will be from a "top" European club but will likely fail to impress, we will be linked with a top name but that will never happen as we will offer 50p over 5 years plus a free away kit, then when everyone is up in arms we will sign Shaqiri
jphammer341

Post by jphammer341 »

Fabianski is an absolute must buy - would instantly improve that area of the team.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

jphammer341 wrote:Fabianski is an absolute must buy - would instantly improve that area of the team.
Second highest errors leading to goals in 2 of the last 3 seasons, Adrian is a better keeper. People are baffling with their logic of keepers, Adrian is as good as anyone outside the top six, every keeper will make mistakes
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Its probably already been offered to moyes and accepted and they have told him they will announce it in next couple of weeks, simply to give the facade that they "left no stone unturned"
Pretty sure ss incompetent as our lot our they know window opens next week and there is plenty of early work to do so delaying his appointment is extremely counter productive.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

jphammer341 wrote:Fabianski is an absolute must buy - would instantly improve that area of the team.
If we're going Polish, I would prefer Wojciech Szczesny
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

No way we break into the top 8 next year.

Break down areas of immediate need. Sort out what money is available. Identify potential targets.

Figure out that this will have to be a year by year increment now. We have left it far too long without upgrading older, injury ravaged players. So no we need to many players in too many key positions to get all of this done in one fell swoop.

If we want to move up gradually. I think Adrian can keep up around 10-13th. He was in goal at our last year at the Boleyn wasn't he ? Improve the lot in front of him. Sort the DM position out. Sort out whether depending on who we bring in, what system we want to play. We went from 4 to 3 to 5 to 3 all over the shop. Again this depends upon the manager hired in. I think though if we can improve the defenders and DM AND sort out a system early, we can get by with Adrian.

We need TWO goalkeepers if he goes.

starting/back up RB priority
CB priority
DM priority
RM/LW secondary priority
F secondary priority

LB third priority - if new CB then it moves down
squad fillers third priority
backup keeper secondary/third priority

None of these targets can be prioritised until a new manager comes in/Moyes reappointed.

Ridiculous. I assume that Moyes will have identified areas where he needs to fix things. Another bloke might see things so much differently.

Where's the head banger emoticon.

DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

"TRANSFER DEADLINE CHANGES
The Premier League will this week confirm that the summer transfer window will open on the earlier date of Thursday, May 17, to fall into line with FIFA rules.

FIFA regulations state that every league must have at least one transfer window in a calendar year that lasts for 12 weeks.

It was agreed earlier this season that the window would close on August 9, instead of the usual August 31, to allow clubs to avoid disruption to their squads once the league season has kicked off on August 11."
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I keep trying to think of our team next year and I just can't see how we are going to set up.

If we keep the same formation, then potentially Cresswell, Noble, Kouyate, Antonio, Carroll and Zabaleta are going to be benched. There's some big characters getting dropped there. This isn't going to be an easy transition.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Don’t know why even is so concerned about the short transfer window. Doesn’t apply to free transfers
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

The Gibbins wrote:I think Ki is a decent player but he seems to be quite inconsistent. I just don't like signing players that have spent the last few years fighting relegation, i feel like players bring that mentality with them and we have enough of it already :lol:
Lets hope all those other teams feel the same way then might be the only reason we don't lose a couple.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Double post
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Puff Daddy wrote: If we're going Polish, I would prefer Wojciech Szczesny
Szczesny was signed to replace Buffon as Juventus's first choice when he retires and Buffon is probably retiring on Thursday.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

One thing to keep an eye on if it turns out Fonseca is named manager is Jorge Mendes clients. His last manager client to come to England was Nuno at Wolves and he immediately brought in a ton of Mendes clients (most of whom probably had offers at first tier clubs they turned down for Wolves) who became the spine of that team. Doesn't necessarily mean it will happen again, but expect us to be offerred a number of Mendes clients either on permanent or loan if Fonseca is the manager.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Fabianski? Dear oh dear. Not a patch on Adrian in more ways than one. Not saying he's terrible, just pointless swapping him for a Keeper already well established at the Club whos actually rather good.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

To be fair if Fonseca does become manager, as someone posted above, Mendes and Sullivan are a match made in heaven. He will tout a bunch of his clients to us, so Sullivan can have a say on all signings. Also, Sullivan is known for paying high wages and agent fees, so I’m sure Mendes would love him.

Off the top of my head, a couple high profile players we could potentially be linked with would be Andre Gomes from Barca (possible) and Joao Cancelo (highly unlikely). However, people thought Neves to Wolves was impossible as well... :think:

Outside of the agent link, can’t pretend to know much about Fonseca other than defeating City to make group stages. Could be an interesting appointment, which is why I think it won’t happen.