✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by steveyrockstar »

Was my favourite player prior to this season.

I'll never forget that goal he scored vs Liverpool when he dispossessed their player by our corner flag and sprinted to the other end of the pitch and scored.

He had/has the makings of a real cult hero. Massive engine/work-rate, scores goals, a unique character and a rather uncouth but often effective playing style.

S**t has gone on which we don't have the full picture of.

I hope he can clear his head, sort out his injuries and start next season with a clean slate, and get back to how he was for us a year or so ago. That Antonio would definitely be in my first X (albeit in a RWB role :o ).
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Can’t believe people on here don’t get how much a serious hamstring can effect a player. Especially one like Antonio who is all about explosive pace and power. He was absolutely flying until the original hamstring and never been the same since because they rushed him back and it went again. Many players careers have been ruined by hamstrings. Look at Barkleys struggles. Torres was a notable case of a player never being the same again. Those tears were all about him and most likely ruining the chance of a move as he knows he has another 3 month struggle to get fit.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

I read some article that says once 'explosive' type players (ie. accelerate quite fast) tear a hamstring badly , it creates a lot of scar tissue and it will likely snap again in the future. Michael Owen was never the same and Sturridge is another so fingers crossed that Antonio hasn't suffered irreparable damage.
polar
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by polar »

TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Hope there is truth in it, £15-20m and he can go to be honest. Don't care for players with an ego or an attitude problem.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Not sure if it’s the hamstring or the ego, but I do know it’s been a long time since we saw the Antonio we grew to love. If the money’s right I think we should cash in while we can. All on the assumption that the income will be added to the new manager’s transfer budget, of course.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

No less than 20m in today’s market all things considered I should think...

Sounds like the start of our transfer kitty :D
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I hope this is true.

Let him sulk elsewhere
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

MD_HM wrote:No less than 20m in today’s market all things considered I should think...

Sounds like the start of our transfer kitty :D
£20m for Antonio, £30m for Lanzini, £20m for Hernandez. That's £70m for the Pellegrini WAR CHEST!
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I'd take £15m + Tomkins, please.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

TheHandOfDog wrote: Hope there is truth in it, £15-20m and he can go to be honest. Don't care for players with an ego or an attitude problem.
I think this is over played. I don't doubt he's had the touch of the billy big b*llocks of late but people are carrying on like he's a nasty piece of work who should be binned off at the first opportunity. I've mainly found his attitude and work ethic to be spot on bar a handful of poor performances.

He's one of those 'West Ham' type of players I enjoy watching most games and think he cares about the Club too.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

said a few times that antonio is the ultimate crystal palace player.

if there's any truth in pellegrini coming, i can't see the bloke getting a look in.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:
I think this is over played. I don't doubt he's had the touch of the billy big b*llocks of late but people are carrying on like he's a nasty piece of work who should be binned off at the first opportunity. I've mainly found his attitude and work ethic to be spot on bar a handful of poor performances.

He's one of those 'West Ham' type of players I enjoy watching most games and think he cares about the Club too.
it is mental how some people have turned on him, on the basis of absolutely nothing
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

It doesn't mean that because some of us think that Antonio needs a big change in attitude or merely that his time with Payet in the team has come and gone doesn't mean that we think he is a horrible git.

Even his most ardent supporter has to admit his performances have take a huge dip. From the time when he was "on fire" and on the England fringes to where he is now - and it's not as if we are looking at his last 3-5 games.

From when he apparently went to Sully and complained and Sully came out publicly and said that he wouldn't be playing wing back again seems to be where it all went Peter Tong. Now if he could get back to where he was, stay fit, knuckle down and remember when he was playing for the team instead of himself, fair enough. We won't find another 7M pound player to put in his spot.

But it's going to require a whole lot more than just saying that. He won't be the first player to get caught up in his own ego nor will he be the last. Ross Barkely is getting splinters in his arse at Chel$ki due to a similar set up, imvho.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I wouldn't necessarily say it's nothing, as there may well have been something to a bit of rumour going around and the late for training story would back that idea up, I just check out of it to the point people start coming across as hating him when he's done very little wrong but a lot of good right since he's been here. If push come to shove, I'd rather Antonio on our side than against.

He's one of those exciting maverick players which opposition teams struggle to cope with in 1 shape or form when he's flying at you. It would only be big money I'd reluctantly let him go for.
Colours never run

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
Even his most ardent supporter has to admit his performances have take a huge dip.
Bar probably 2 or 3 players, who hasn't in the squad? I never understood that argument coating off Antonio when most of the squad have also gone to ****.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

I like Antonio. I think he has been unlucky with injuries and it looked like he started to gain momentum before his last injury.

Problem is he was most effective when Payet was crossing in those balls to the back stick and Antonio ghosted in and scored. He was essentially an unknown at the time and I don't think the opposition realised what we had in him.
He is explosive and he could run with the ball. He reminds me of Wanchope in as much he doesn't seem to have a plan with it when its at his feet and I think his strength assisted him massively because he would shrug off players rather than beating them with skill.

This year I think he bulked up too much, he was blowing out of his arse after 60 mins and I don't think he got the chance to get properly match fit. Hopefully this prolonged absence will get him straight.

Do I want to sell him, no however, if someone offered £20m plus I would definitely consider it.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

I'd take anything over £10m for him.

Decent enough player, won't be good enough for us if we're planning on moving forward, gives the ball away to often and lacks the class needed to link up with Arnautovic and Lanzini.

I reckon these injuries are the beginning of the end for him, one of those players you can see retiring at 32.
Colours never run

DDHammer wrote:I'd take anything over £10m for him.

We paid £8m for him to begin with. We'd rightly **** the owners off for chucking decent money away for the sake of getting someone out the squad. Accepting anything from £10m would be stupid business. It really should only be around the £20m+ mark for him.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Get out while you can Michail