Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th new manager

Post by Tenbury »

Good grief, a decent appointment.Where's the money come from? Let's hope there's 70 of 80 mill left for some signings.
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 878 likes

Post by mushy »

floydie_hammer wrote: Wonder when he first heard about the west ham job possibly coming up? Can understand him watching us lose to man city or arsenal when we're on sky, but why would he watch "most" games if he hadn't already been made aware a vacancy was coming? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Who knows, but a certain ITK is saying that talks began back in January.
Not sure why they bothered with the other interview or pursued Benitez if that is the case.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1600 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

People saying they don't think its the right fit. This man takes teams like Villarreal and Malaga, bottom of the table when taking over, then very quickly turns them into top 4 teams who dominate possession against the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, playing very attacking, exciting football.... Sounds too good to be true for us and yes its harder to do now with how good our league is in terms of number of good teams but all the above is mostly all we ever wanted. Attacking, entertaining football.

This is maybe then best signing we've ever made. Potential wise.

As for people worrying about the transfer budget, obviously Pellegrini would of agreed to how much they have to spend and who is in charge of scouting, choosing targets. I know its hard to be optimistic but Pellegrini has agreed to it all so lets let him and his staff do their thing.

Fingers crossed we become a steady, 7-10th prem team soon and we get to enjoy exciting football more often.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
"EvilC"
Why do you think he went originally - the food and culture?

He was out of work and was offered a high paying job perhaps? Bit different to players who leave top clubs for a payday. Pellegrini didn't have a job. He now has an offer in a better standard of league and he has took that with a pay cut. Ok, he's still on fantastic money, but that's not the point.
I guess that applies to some players towards the end of their career too to be fair. Both players and managers have their own reasons for making that decision some more positive than others no doubt Surely only the length of a Manager's career (and the risk of injury ending it) relative to a player really leads to the latter's more urgent choices looking a little less palatable or self serving to the outsider. Don't think it is particularly constructive to try to argue one is fundamentally morally superior to the other in their choices however, certainly not in a blanket manner. I suspect though a manager is probably on balance more able to return from such a footballing backwater than a player to the big time. Though time may tell on that one.
white_rabit

Post by white_rabit »

I’m very pleased with this signing but like some I’m cautiously optimistic at the same time. The next step will be the transfer budget, which I will be keen to see.

What I’m more happy about is the stream of positivity and cautious positivity that has flooded the boards.

Last season was a tough one but onwards and upwards!

OLAS COYI
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

As others have mentioned I really like the sound of Pelle's quote,

"with the players we have in this moment in the squad, and bringing maybe another four or five players in, we are going to have a strong team.”

:scarfer:
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Here's a guy who has won trophies in different countries, managed one of the biggest clubs in the world, signed and worked with some of the worlds best players, has a very clear attack minded football philosophy that has taken mid level teams and turned them into challengers, his teams have broken points records and goal scoring records...

...reaction on KUMB... "he only had 75% win ratio at Man City" , "not convinced by his commitment" & "too old" :lol:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

e-20 wrote:I guess that applies to some players towards the end of their career too to be fair. Both players and managers have their own reasons for making that decision some more positive than others no doubt Surely only the length of a Manager's career (and the risk of injury ending it) relative to a player really leads to the latter's more urgent choices looking a little less palatable or self serving to the outsider. Don't think it is particularly constructive to try to argue one is fundamentally morally superior to the other in their choices however, certainly not in a blanket manner. I suspect though a manager is probably on balance more able to return from such a footballing backwater than a player to the big time. Though time may tell on that one.
Exactly. These people are professionals and have short careers. I don't blame any of them to want to maximise what they get paid. However to suggest that players that go there are mercenaries whilst Pellegrini is noble and brave is very strange IMO.
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

Sloop John B wrote:Here's a guy who has won trophies in different countries, managed one of the biggest clubs in the world, signed and worked with some of the worlds best players, has a very clear attack minded football philosophy that has taken mid level teams and turned them into challengers, his teams have broken points records and goal scoring records...

...reaction on KUMB... "he only had 75% win ratio at Man City" , "not convinced by his commitment" & "too old" :lol:
a 25% loss ratio is not a 75% win ratio......
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

Sloop John B wrote:Here's a guy who has won trophies in different countries, managed one of the biggest clubs in the world, signed and worked with some of the worlds best players, has a very clear attack minded football philosophy that has taken mid level teams and turned them into challengers, his teams have broken points records and goal scoring records...

Yep. There seems to be a real new breed of 'supporter' since the move that expects us to win the league. If you think this is bad, check out TwatFace. The numpties are out in their droves moaning we didn't buy a Delorian, go back 30 years and sign a young Alex Ferguson.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

I am Legend wrote:People saying they don't think its the right fit. This man takes teams like Villarreal and Malaga, bottom of the table when taking over, then very quickly turns them into top 4 teams who dominate possession against the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, playing very attacking, exciting football.... Sounds too good to be true for us and yes its harder to do now with how good our league is in terms of number of good teams but all the above is mostly all we ever wanted. Attacking, entertaining football.

This is maybe then best signing we've ever made. Potential wise.

As for people worrying about the transfer budget, obviously Pellegrini would of agreed to how much they have to spend and who is in charge of scouting, choosing targets. I know its hard to be optimistic but Pellegrini has agreed to it all so lets let him and his staff do their thing.

Fingers crossed we become a steady, 7-10th prem team soon and we get to enjoy exciting football more often.
I think you may well be correct in that assessment. Particularly so in our case because our stock after such a fractious period and high comedy (if of the black variety) owners must be towards rock bottom and players are aware of this as much as anyone else both inside and outside the club.

For the first time we have a Manager of the status and experience to at least potentially overshadow the Sullivan effect, because if the latter tries to outdo this Manager then a whole new level of self imposed disaster will befall him in the outside world than the mess he is already experiencing from fans and press alike. If even he doesn't see that then we truly are lost as a club under this lot.

Next the players we have will surely start to feel more positive about the way the club is headed and thus less likely to want out and if they do stay do more than just enough to earn their money. Equally the attraction to players outside the club will be immense and will bring in players (as long as he is backed) that we could never get otherwise or we would have to overpay substantially to have a chance so in that regard he may well pay for himself over 3 years. It will certainly help tip the balance for many with multiple choices.

Lastly the positivity amongst the fans will mirror the above, again if sufficient backing is provided and he is allowed to do his job unhindered. Of course there will be a grace period, so both Owners and Manager will have to be on top form to carry this effect through and beyond that initial period but at least there is hope which had been all but lost (no lost) for most. lets just hope Sullivan (or the brats) don't want to boast too heavily of their involvement in any success the Manager brings. That prospect scares me actually.

As a footnote this is a Sullivan decision as most will know. The other two wanted Moyes to stay though Brady it seems was keen to try to get Dyche beyond that, which says how much of a loose cannon she is in the present environment. Or maybe she just wants to take winding up the fans up a notch or 5.
Last edited by e-20 on Tue May 22, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

I would presume/hope that the four or five signings he’s talking about would be starting XI players. Obviously he spent a load of dosh at Man City but he bought decent players in at Malaga and Villarreal that could play the sort of football he wants and expects. He likes possession based football which would be great to see, but I don’t see us having decent enough players to be able to play that way.

He’ll bring the right people in and I think he’ll be a big success, definitely the right appointment for me.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Really excited by this choice of manager. Absolutely no qualms from me. Just hope he gets the backing of the board. Give him 100 million. Take out a loan for all I care.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Georgee Paris wrote:Take out a loan for all I care.
Not with their repayment policy.

He will only succeed if he is properly backed.

So I imagine he will be gone by January.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Excellent Manager, also in the cautiously optimistic camp, no sodding about now sully back him properly.

With regards the whole managing in China thing. I've managed to convince myself that he just wanted to take a break from the pressure of managing in Europe and instead of taking time out he got offered a huge salary to keep his eye in and manage without any real scrutiny.

It seems to me that if a manager is out of the game for any length of time their stock diminishes so by staying in the game so to speak he's managed to recharge his batteries and remain current.

That's what i'm choosing to go with anyways... :wink:

:scarfer:
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Let's hope Sullivan has still got 100 million or so to buy the type of players that Pellegrini needs to play his system.
Hello there!

Post by Hello there! »

He's a great manager without a doubt, but...

GSB are still here and we're still playing in the bowl, so...

I'm still not returning.
Barnet Steve
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Barnet Steve »

I know very little about Pellegrini's ethos and playing style, so wondered who people think might fall foul of his new systems?

Would Hernandez suit his set-up? Is Big Andy likely to be sold for glue? Would Rice continue to progress?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

sharphammer wrote:a 25% loss ratio is not a 75% win ratio......
Ha... Yeah true... point still stands...!
hxhammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hxhammer »

I'm very much glass half empty right now, but thats nothing to do with the appointment of MP, its the fact i just do not trust the odious little turd. Should he back the man properly in the transfer market and also keep his nose out of team affairs, then that glass should top up nicely.

Welcome to West Ham Manuel Pellegrini, YOU have my full support