Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by e-20 »

GreenIron wrote:
... there's certainly no way we'd have ever been able to finance anything like that (or even a tenth of it!

"mushy" Why not?

Er, how about ... total ****ing incompetence?
I would love to know how we could have financed it or indeed ideas for how we would even finance training facilities a fraction of the quality of Spurs.
By the way despite Spurs struggles to finance their stadium much of it is based on the fact they (or/and associated Lewis companies) have over many years become a substantial property owning business who will eventually make fortunes out of the raised profile of the area and selling that property to other developers of the borough's s own schemes as they are developing the whole area. It's why Spurs would not commit to staying in Harringey till they and the GLC agreed to more widespread development in and around Tottenham. The first project at Silver Street is already underway. Oh and it's why most of those Lewis owned shell companies actually owning that land have (I believe David Conn managed to trace around a dozen) been taken offshore to maximise the tax benefits especially when eventually sold. Problem of course for Spurs is that most of the profits from this process is still some way in the future (apart from the 15 to 17mil they have already wangled) whereas the costs of the stadium are happening now. Not sure what equivalent we have to compare to that situation, unless the owners have acquired large parts of Stratford over the past 20+ years. Even if they had they would hardly use it to the club's benefit.
Last edited by e-20 on Sat May 26, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

The OS could be fixed by digging down 30 metres, we could even copy the Spurs roly-poly pitch thing, that would bring the stands closer to the pitch with a greater rake for better site lines ... yes I know people say ... but the ground is as radioactive as Chernobyl, or it's laced with Ebola, but that's just a massive lie .... it's like switching off your phones on planes, if there was even a 1 in a million chance of a turned on phone crashing a plane they'd all be banned ... same goes for the ground under the OC if it was that contaminated they wouldn't allow 50,000 people to run around on top of it every other week ...

Where there's a will there's a way ... it's all about money ... Spuds just spent 850m, and no their owner isn't a sugar daddy, sure he's rich but he gives Spuds bugger all ... we could take over the ground and fix it for that kind of money the tax-payer would bite our arms off ....

The OC /LS whatever is a feckin' disaster ... accept that fact and do something about it ...

IT IS POSSIBLE
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by danm79 »

bubbles500 wrote:http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/an ... ge-250518/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hard to deny spurs appear light years ahead of not just us but everyone in terms of facilities and infrastructure. Place is better than a 5 star gaff ridiculous.
Hearing a billion pounds in debt and some serious issues on the horizon so I will take Rush Green all day at the moment.
e-20
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Indeed it could be done if we owned the stadium and athletics was banished. And to be honest you wouldn't have to dig down that far because without athletics you could rebuild the stands on at least 3 of the 4 sides so the hospitality remains mostly as is, much closer and with steeper rakes and still get 50,000. Obviously the deeper you dig the more that figure could go up but I reckon even 3 metres would solve the problem, anything more just improves it further. You might have to take precautions regarding the water table but still doable. You then in the areas behind where your new stands are located you build new support structures for the roof and that would allow it to be extended to cover the closer seating. Not cheap but viable with new owners and obtaining ownership of the stadium or simply sole use like Man City and the ejecting of athletics. No time soon but increasingly a possibility I reckon where once it was mere fantasy. Even a whiff of the possibility and then see prospective owners show serious interest.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Hearing a billion pounds in debt and some serious issues on the horizon so I will take Rush Green all day at the moment.[/quote]

Think that’s nonsense mate. Their debt is £350m which will be easily serviceable as their revenue is about to go through the roof. Pochettino has just signed a 5 year contract and been promised £150m to spend. The main difference between us and them in terms of feasibility is owners reputation and league position. Spurs have been a top 6 club for a decade now the chance of them getting relegated is basically zero. Where as we are still most definitely seen as relegation candidates. Secondly which bank in their right mind would lend GSB £350m on a football project considering the absolute shambles of the last 2 years. Building a state of the art training facility can be done relatively cheaply Burnley cost £10m Brighton have a superb facility. For me it’s the telling sign GSB don’t give a monkeys about the long term of the club if they did they would have built s new training facility. Instead they took cheap option and gave rush green a lick of paint.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

IronworksDave wrote:The OS could be fixed by digging down 30 metres......
30 metres?

It’ll be like playing in a mushroom
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

James P wrote:
30 metres?

It’ll be like playing in a mushroom
That sounds like great fun TBF :lol:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

thought the land was contaminated so we cant dig down ?

nothing will change until we somehow own the bowl.

a few more years then. I hate the place but hope the team and standard of football is better next season.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

With the contaminated ground, it's not like there's a load of soil under there that is contaminated , its barrels of waste that is buried isn't it?
Not that I know if that makes a difference
OllyWHU6
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Atmosphere at the OS - Are Ultras the answer?

Post by OllyWHU6 »

I'm not sure if this should be a part of a post about the OS already, but i think it's a question worthy of it's own thread.

Aside from the viewing distance, one of the main concerns with the bowl in Stratford that i've seen mentioned and personally experienced is the atmosphere, and it not really feeling like a home. I've been living in Bucharest for the past year and have attended my fair share of derby's including the fascinating rivalry between Rapid and CSA in Liga 4. Recently selling 40'000 tickets for a fourth division match. What i've found especially enjoyable is the atmosphere the 'galleria' or 'ultras' are able to create in these matches. From huge tifo, to non-stop chanting, the 'ultra' movement of these teams have rallied against corrupt and greedy owners to reclaim the historic clubs they have grown up supporting. (It's an interesting story if you research it a little more).

All that said, it got me thinking that perhaps what is most needed at the OS is an approach more like that we see on the continent. I appreciate historically West Ham has never needed that kind of choreography or style of support with a very clear terrace culture. I also appreciate it may not be for everyone, i am most certainly not advocating the kind of right-wing ultra culture that is often portrayed in the press, notably of the Italian variety. There was a good article on Ultra Culture in the Guardian that even mentions us as having a divide in the way people want to support the team. But seeing the way the Rapid guys mobilise to support their team, protest corruption and dishonesty from above, produce incredible displays, and create a cracking atmosphere it still seems an avenue worth exploring. Following the German model of fan groups coming together, and having a unified voice in pockets of the stadium that the club will find harder to silence would also be a huge benefit given who our owners are.

Of course for this to work there would have to be clear areas of the ground that are designed to allow fans to enjoy the game in the way they wish. Which possibly scuppers this from the outset. I also fully appreciate this idea will be repugnant to some, and i fully accept that. I'm just curious to see what ideas can be put out there to try and reclaim the stadium as our own in the spirit of lets try and move forward with some hope.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Moved in here as has been discussed in here before.

Also it relates to peoples stadium experience
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Ben wrote:With the contaminated ground, it's not like there's a load of soil under there that is contaminated , its barrels of waste that is buried isn't it?
Not that I know if that makes a difference
Executed pirates and bubonic plague dead that will release the zombie apocalypse, apparently.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:Executed pirates and bubonic plague dead that will release the zombie apocalypse, apparently.
Having witnessed some our below lethargic performances since we moved home I think it’s already been released
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I wonder how Mr O'Reilly the new Architectures are getting on with the refit..... 8-)
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

So this contaminated soil....I wonder how it would have been dealt with if it had been found on an underground or Crossrail tunnel route?
E7Iron

Post by E7Iron »

Forgive my ignorance, but if there is contaminated soil under the OS, can't they just dig it up and take it away? I am pretty certain that they did that for most of the Olympic Park?

Digging down is the only way that this can be fixed, short of a complete demolish job.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

There was a massive clean up of the site, the soil was washed in on site soil hospitals, different timescales were needed for different builds so some areas, like that bowl were first to be done, techno ploy and techniques improved as they effectively learnt as they went due to the toxic levels

Different sources claim different achievements of the clean up or not
http://m.atkinsglobal.com/en-GB/media-c ... ympic-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.greennet.org.uk/network/new ... tion-cover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment ... up-olympic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ympic-site" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Regarding the atmosphere, when the football's been good ,the atmosphere has been good. I've been to a Lazio game and the fans do create a good atmosphere, but it seems to have little to do with the action on the pitch. British football has always been a little bit more reactive. When a team starts piling on pressure the crowd gets going and urges them on. I wouldn't like to lose this. I also hate the practice of whistling when the opposition have the ball. There's two teams playing, you have to have some respect for the opponents (not spurs though)
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Regardless, of the whys and the whats, we're now discussing the pie in the sky possibility of digging up 30 metres of earth to remove all the barrels of toxic waste underneath our pitch, as our potential best option to slightly improve the shitpit of an athletics stadium, that hardly anyone likes, that we rent for our mediocre team to to play football in.

That's where we're currently at?

West Ham United 2018
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

E7Iron wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but if there is contaminated soil under the OS, can't they just dig it up and take it away? I am pretty certain that they did that for most of the Olympic Park?

Digging down is the only way that this can be fixed, short of a complete demolish job.
Yeah, they should just dig a hole for all that soil. Strange that no one's discussed this before.