Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 49 days remaining

Post by S-H »

westhamwalsh wrote:Sky reporting we have had a £20m of rejected by Fulham for Cairney
Scattergun.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Scattergun seems still fully loaded to me,
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I fail to see why we'd pass on Maddison, only to go for Cairney.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Why offer £20m for Cairney when Wilshere is on a free

Don’t believe that report
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

because Wilshere is a massive risk who is as injury prone as AC and would probably be the highest paid player at the club if he did come on a free?
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Can't see Fulham wanting to let him go. A Fulham-supporting fella I know was distraught the other week when I told him we'd previously wanted Cairney. Seemed to think he was a key player for them
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

goa127 wrote:Can't see Fulham wanting to let him go. A Fulham-supporting fella I know was distraught the other week when I told him we'd previously wanted Cairney. Seemed to think he was a key player for them
Cairney is key to them in the same way Noble has been for us, the player who keeps everything ticking over. Isn’t the £20m their January valuation? Has to be worth far more to them now.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Miles Standish Proud wrote:I have a feeling Wilshere could be a Scott Parker-type signing. There were mixed views when he signed and look how that turned out.
You can analyse stats and injury records as much you like but as someone who knew football before such statwittery, this is one of those signings that just feels right to me.

As I said before I have come round to the idea. He isn't inately frail as in some other players who are physically weak and injury prone. For the most part his injuries have been down to poor technique when challenging for the ball which finally looks like he may well have tempered in recent times. The only question that makes me a little hesitant is the damage already done and thus how susceptable that makes him to breaking down eventually. Overall however considering cost, ability, role and experience he is a package that's difficult to better on our budget.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I fail to see why we'd pass on Maddison, only to go for Cairney.
I agree, would seem odd all things considered. Equally Cairney is not going to improve at his age and is crucial to Fulham thus even in the unlikely event they would let him go, or he wanted to come, would due to the long existing contract be expensive and overpriced.
Last edited by e-20 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I fail to see why we'd pass on Maddison, only to go for Cairney.
Who said we had?
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Maddison and Cairney are very different players from what I have seen, Maddison is far more an attacking midfielder, Cairney more central playmaker. Lanzini and Noble if you like.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

HammerPDC wrote:Why offer £20m for Cairney when Wilshere is on a free

Don’t believe that report
Someone on here said it's a slow news day and I think the same might be true at Sky, so the equation goes:

Club + Links with players in a position + Player in that position they were previously linked with = Story.

Wouldn't believe it, and also don't think we really have any need for Cairney.

That Noble comparison probably isn't too far off the mark, mind you - whenever I watched Fulham I thought he was just an average player in a good team, but thinking about it he's probably a bit of a water carrier for them, like a Jordan Henderson or Joe Allen. They're not players who will always make you sit up and go 'ooh' but they're key to the team and keep them ticking over.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

They don't play even remotely the same position or role, so even if we did pass on Maddison (not clear we did) it isn't really a comparison. Like asking why we passed on Jon Flanagan for Diop.

Cairney pulls the strings in the center, and organizes Fulham in both attack and defense (their record with and without him is stunning btw there's a reason he was on the 3 man shortlist for EFL's Championship Player of the Season the team was great with him in and poor with him injured) while Maddison is a winger.

Overall I think Cairney is the better player by a decent amount, but more obviously, outside Seri (maybe Sturaro I guess) we don't seem to have found many options in that role abroad. Where Maddison fills a similar role to Anderson except isn't as talented.
Last edited by Cellar-door on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Ashton

Post by Mean Ashton »

sounds like Cairney is the back up to Seri. similar players who play deep and can look after the ball.

i'd prefer Cairney over Jack Wheelchair.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Sky have probably dug out the bid from months ago as it's a slow news day.
Won't be later. Record signing beckons later today I suspect. Anderson is virtually sealed up.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I’m not usually ITK but I can state with absolute certainty that we may not or may have bid for Cairney.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

If we are not interested in Wilshire (as reported by some) it is may be because the club have finally learnt the lesson of buying injury prone players and are not willing to take the risk. Good player yes, but has to be on the pitch.

Regarding, Sturaro from Juve. Spoke to a Juve fan today who described him as a ball winning midfielder who kind of makes it his life goal to win the ball back. Not so gifted when in possession so more of a terrier than a creative playmaker.

Same Juve fan also says that Anderson is a fantastic player so hopefully we can get him signed up.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

ohsnap wrote:because Wilshere is a massive risk who is as injury prone as AC and would probably be the highest paid player at the club if he did come on a free?
Not exactly true though, Wilshere played 38 games last season. How many did AC play?
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

This Cairney bid appeared hours after us going to meet Sturaro. Could it have been, okay his asking price / demands are too high so let’s get a bid in for Cairney, our other option... or is that wide of the mark and too logical for West Ham?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Italian Hammer wrote:Regarding, Sturaro from Juve. Spoke to a Juve fan today who described him as a ball winning midfielder who kind of makes it his life goal to win the ball back. Not so gifted when in possession so more of a terrier than a creative playmaker.
I like the sound of that. It's what we need if we're going to want to play this open expansive game with half the team attacking.