ITV v BBC

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Re: ITV v BBC

Post by Wembley1966 »

Wembley1966 wrote:^^^ If England get to the semi-finals then that's on ITV.

There's talk of MPs and the Daily Mail saying that it's in the national interest and that it should be on BBC as well. Equally there's talk of MPs and the Daily Mail saying that the BBC wastes tax payers money and that it should be left to commercial interests!
Faithless wrote:Now that would be a thing of beauty, copies of the Daily Mail bursting into flames trying to decide which path of vitriol to take!
It's started:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-ITV.html

England football fans fear being kicked out of the World Cup after ITV was given the rights to broadcast Tuesday night's historic knockout game against Colombia.
A petition has now been set up, calling for the game to be switched onto BBC.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Wembley1966 wrote: England football fans fear being kicked out of the World Cup after ITV was given the rights to broadcast Tuesday night's historic knockout game against Colombia.
Surely England fans fear being knocked out of the World Cup, not kicked out as that suggest some sort of sanction from FIFA. I mean the article was **** anyway but at least use the right words.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

fmgod wrote:The coverage is appalling got Rio, Lineker, Neville, Sharer telling me about Spain vs Russia when they know nothing about either side. Would rather one of the spaces was taken by a journalist fomo that nation and give more insight.

I mean for christ sake, Lineker tweeted last night that Mbappe might be one of the best players in the world in years to come, yeah because the £150 mil last summer for a 17 year old didn't sort of indicate that

It's just so lazy, almost arrogant, do your research on these teams, you're getting paid handsomely for it and owe it to the audience
No offence but you do talk a fair amount of tosh sometimes. The panel aren't there for detailed analysis. Newspapers provide that. They are there for a bit of banter, and to provide a bit of flavour. I expect 99% of people watching would prefer ex players who have experienced these big games than journalists who can talk a good game.

Of course there are going to be various pundits that people don't like across the whole selection of about 25 individuals from both channels (for me Shearer) but both channels do a tremendous job of bringing the tournament to life with the best english players mixed in with eloquent foreign players.

Some people like to moan for the sake of it. World Cup coverage is always spot on for me
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: No offence but you do talk a fair amount of tosh sometimes. The panel aren't there for detailed analysis. Newspapers provide that. They are there for a bit of banter, and to provide a bit of flavour. I expect 99% of people watching would prefer ex players who have experienced these big games than journalists who can talk a good game.

Of course there are going to be various pundits that people don't like across the whole selection of about 25 individuals from both channels (for me Shearer) but both channels do a tremendous job of bringing the tournament to life with the best english players mixed in with eloquent foreign players.
Some people like to moan for the sake of it. World Cup coverage is always spot on for me
They aren't there to provide detailed analysis? Surely they are to a degree? A bit of banter? If I want "banter" I'll watch a comedy programme not the World Cup. I have no problem with one or two ex pros but I would like a journalist or a player from that country, who at least knows the players, we've got three people in the studio commenting on players they've barely ever watched or know, at least someone like Tim Vickery, James Horncastle etc could probably provide relative insight for each country's players. Just look at the other year when Zlatan scored that goal against England, it was though the pundits were amazed.

To me the insight should be far more detailed ie x has scored but why has x scored, due to his movement reading of the play and at the same time the defence could've of done x better. This is the big problem with English football and the media they never recognise clever runs or movement off the ball that takes defenders away. I loved Koeman on Sky Sports earlier in the season as he was so detailed, that's the sort of high level thinking I expect instead we get all these highly acclaimed players going yeah good shot by Coutinho, keeper had no chance, I don't know someone to tell me that, I can see it with my own eyes.

Maybe I enjoy the science and logic of sport too much but talking to reasonably good footballers(low level pro/semi-pro) really excites me(that sounds sad) because I really like drilling into the differences that makes them that good. Coutinho for the goal in the first game had three seconds between one touch and top corner which is incredible for anyone. I went to see Trevor Brooking speak and the main thing he said and I've heard it from other good players is the picture theory, when you receive the ball you should have pictures of the game all around you and where you are going to put it. Things like Big Sam POMO, position of maximum opportunity.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Fmgod - I agree with what you're saying. But all of those things you've mentioned - recognizing off the ball movement, having a picture in your head, POMO etc. I have heard all of that plenty of times from those pundits at the World Cup.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

The thing is, some of the pundits can put analysis over in a simple and understandable manner......Slav is probably the best example, along with Neville G.......others just spray out platitudes or can't string a sentence together anyway. The best panels are a mix of everything. Agree on the newspaper analysis, The Times "Game" section is essential reading every morning for me.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

It would be far more enjoyable filming a group of rival fans in the posh studios, with access to a free bar, talking about the game or what to have for tea, at halftime, yeah there would be scraps and talk of smashing Mrs Kanes back doors in, but it would be much better viewing.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The simple fact of the matter is that 99% of players or managers who have been involved at the very top level know far more about the game than people who haven't, journalists included

They may not always be able to articulate it in the most technical terms but only a very small minority want that level of detail when watching a game on TV.

I can't think of a single pundit this time around who 'can't string a sentence together'. Some are a little annoying for sure but that is just personal taste
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

The oddest thing is, Souness is probably the most successful managerial pundit over ITV, BBC, Sky, yet no one bats an eyelid at his views.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

I did enjoy Lineker asking Jürgen about Neymar :D
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

If ITV got rid of Hoddle it'd be much more enjoyable.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:If ITV got rid of Hoddle it'd be much more enjoyable.
Yep. He is so dull, like listening to pain dry.

He just tells you what you already know, utterly pointless
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:If ITV got rid of Hoddle it'd be much more enjoyable.

For a man with his football knowledge, he offers very little, and continuously states the bleeding obvious.

Better in the studio, analyzing the game.
Wembley1966

Post by Wembley1966 »

carnage wrote:I think a semi would end up on both channels, it did in italia 90 from memory.
That's when they had an agreement to share any semi finals that England were in. They also shared the semi final in the Euros in 1996 and the knockout matches in the World Cup in 2002 were shown on both channels - the last time this happened for an England match. If England had got to the semi-finals in the World Cup in 2006 and 2010, then they would also have been shared.

However since then, they have had a pick system for all the matches other than the final. BBC could have had first pick of any semi-final if they had wanted - they had the first pick of 63 matches to chose from but they though other matches were more important. So if England get through the quarter finals, ITV will have the rest of any England matches - the semi final and (if they lose) the 3rd place playoff exclusively and sharing the final.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

My problem is not with Hoddle but with Tyldesley. I had to mute him a few times last night. When he started going about how football is about getting carried away and dreaming...I thought you can tell this ****er supports Man Utd and not West Ham . Yeah you can dream...but not after beating Panama and Tunisia.
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

Very much so.
Wembley1966

Post by Wembley1966 »

ITV:

v BBC:
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Let's be honest if Piers was to die in a freak tandem bike accident with Maradona as his riding partner would anyone care? Scratch that would we get another bank holiday out of it? :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Wembley1966

Radio v ITV v BBC

Post by Wembley1966 »

If you want to be first with what's happening in Russia you need to dig out your old medium wave radio.

If you listen on BBC 5 Live medium wave there's a delay of about 2 seconds from the real-time action in Russia. Talksport there's about another second delay. If you listen on DAB there's a delay of up to 5 seconds from real-time.

If you watch on Freeview SD there's about a 10 second delay with a couple more if you watch via Freesat/Sky. By the time you get to watch it in HD it's getting on for up to a 15 second delay!

If you want to stream a broadcast - radio would be about 45 seconds delay, which gets longer if you also do it through a smart speaker. TV would be 45 to 90 seconds delay through a stream and if you want to watch in UHD via iPlayer - then the penalties against Columbia are about to start!

So if it goes to penalties, get the radio out to be up on the neighbours!