#59 Sweden 0-2 England - Quarter Finals

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: #59 Sweden v England - Quarter Finals ~ Match thread

Post by S-H »

Anyone seen Voronin?

I want to shower him with English arrogance!

:D
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

A couple of players still not making much of an impact - and yet we're in the semi finals of the World Cup.

Sterling losing his confidence game by game, Alli hiding somewhere out there - but finally making a mark. Lingard running around a lot but not really getting many touches on the ball. Young being anything but.

Despite all that, and any analysis of tactics and play you like - England are in the World Cup semi finals...WTF.

I think we've bypassed all expectations a couple of games back and now have nothing to lose. I'm sure France or Belgium would stuff us - just like I'm sure we won't get out of the group or beat Columbia.

Watching this team, watching this World Cup, I'm sure of nothing (except we're in the semi-final) :scarfer: .
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

somerset-hammer wrote:Anyone seen Voronin?

I want to shower him with English arrogance!

:D
Yeah, I’m not holding my breath for an apology from him or the more high profile Swedes that were - apparently, with no sign of arrogance - accusing England of entitlement and hubris, and a Swedish win.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Ive been very critical of Sterling and Lingard in the past, but these two are vital to this Southgate team, the pair of them are a nightmare for the opposition, even if their end product, or decision making lacks something at times, they keep driving us forward.

Over the moon, and very very proud!
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

vietnammer wrote:OK so this has now become the unofficial England song (Three Lions is probably best though)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No idea how that Sheffield Wednesday band managed to squirm their way back in to the WC, but I hope they get left in Russia. Absolutely painful self promoting tuneless ****ers.

I associate them with everything **** about England over the last 20 years; the antipathy of friendlies at the new Wembley, the greedy soulless FA, ruining any chance of spontaneous chants and tunes... these absolute attention seeking cretins won’t and can’t even play “three lions”

Correctly banned from the Boleyn by H in the 90s because they’re plastics. His best decision next to signing Paolo. Even Wednesday fans loathe them.

You’re right, Three Lions IS better.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Hope this link is working,
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

The Old Mile End wrote:Lingard running around a lot but not really getting many touches on the ball.
Those runs are absolutely vital to England. The biggest difference between this England and others is the movement off the ball whether those players receive the ball or not. The reason Spain were so good for those three tournaments was mostly because their off the ball movement meant there was always someone to pass to, yes they could pass well but without the movement it would have been totally ineffective.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Was a bit of a downer controlling the game so well after the heart attack of Colombia, thought we played well, controlled the game, again set pieces which was pretty surprising as I thought the Swedes would be ultra tight on marking. Pickford made a few good saves, not really much to say about this as it was a just very comfortable, professional performance.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I don’t think Sterling is losing confidence at all he is still making runs in behind defences and still constantly showing for the ball. His end product wasn’t good enough yesterday but he was still hurting Sweden.

Every player is playing their part and I wouldn’t change the line up unless someone is injured or needs a rest.
Gothenburgiron

Post by Gothenburgiron »

Watched the game in a pub just outside Gothenburg (Partille) I was the only Englishman there, but i did my very best to make enough noise. The rest of the people there were very gracious in defeat, and I received a fair few handshakes at full time. I've got a lot of respect for Sweden, but it feels great to be in the semi final!
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Gothenburgiron wrote:Watched the game in a pub just outside Gothenburg (Partille) I was the only Englishman there, but i did my very best to make enough noise. The rest of the people there were very gracious in defeat, and I received a fair few handshakes at full time. I've got a lot of respect for Sweden, but it feels great to be in the semi final!
Got to say, after the horrible “sportsmanship” that was everything Columbia, Sweden were the absolute class act that you’d expect them to be. Would have genuinely made it being a closer game easier.

The European teams have come away from this a class apart from Argentina, Brazil etc
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:At my place (well my temporary roommate's place) she asked when the teams were out on the pitch before the game...

''Where's the Union Jack....??"

:lol:

She's bloody English too !!!!!!!!

:o
I'm with your room-mate , should be flying the Union Jack , after all everyone from Land's End to John O'Groats will be behind the England team , the whole of Britain will be sharing in the glory .
Should declare it a Bank Holiday . :wink:
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

DasNutNock wrote:I am. I hated the Gerrard/Lampard years. Square pegs, under-delivery, suicidally cautious tactics.

Not this lot. They deserve every ounce of the support they’re getting. They’ve earned it. More than the wins, they’ve made us all happy again, that, and the weather.

WHAT a summer!
Agree 100%!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

^^^^^^^^

you can bugger right off matey boy !!!!

:P

St. George.....nowt else............

Union Jack at events....

bet the sweaties wouldn't fly the Union Jack if they were in the semi's.....

oh I forgot they hardly ever go, and if they do they get those 48 hour passports !!!!!

The Old Man of Storr

Who could forget....

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AcE86JmIN3E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
The Old Man of Storr

While I'm here - Cuenca , I sent you a pm the other day , did you get it or did I do something wrong again ? :)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Re: #59 Sweden 0-2 England - Quarter Finals

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Yes got it mate...

moved digs over the weekend....am at a mate's until next week when I go back to Cuenca, not bloody Quito..

hence me being called Cuenca 'ammer and not Quito 'ammer !!!!!

give me a little bit...back to work today.....

Ally's Tartan Army be damned !!!!!!

DasNutNock

Re: Quarter Finals - Sweden v England~ Match thread

Post by DasNutNock »

Voronin wrote:Going to be very interesting. Sweden have been incredible with at very weak side on paper. It’s going to be tight, and definately not a stroll for England. The English arrogance never denies itself.....
No posts since you were humbly explaining how 50m people think and behave. Any feedback to provide?
The Old Man of Storr

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Yes got it mate...

moved digs over the weekend....am at a mate's until next week when I go back to Cuenca, not bloody Quito..

hence me being called Cuenca 'ammer and not Quito 'ammer !!!!!

give me a little bit...back to work today.....

Ally's Tartan Army be damned !!!!!!

Tut Tut , here we all are in Scotland cheering on England with bagpipes a roarin' and you say that about dear old Ally .

I always thought you lived in Quito and that ' Cuenca ' was Spanish for ' Cranky Old Git ' . :)
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Out of interest TOMoS, what is the general mood in Scotland towards England doing well?