Sterling

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Re: Sterling

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

sicknote wrote:I’m even there with the little **** Alli

And I’d slap him stupid in a dark ally and leave him
Sicknote's been out on the lash......................

all day

:lol:

Nowt wrong with that to be fair.....

:thup:
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

As a defender you would not want to play against Sterling (they all say that) it's because half the time even he has no idea what he's going to do next ... that 'individualism' upset a very disciplined Swedish defence, should the dozy c*** score more goals? of course he should, but as long as his teammates keep knocking them in it's not that big an issue .....

Can't see anyway this winning side gets changed if there are no injuries ..... Sterling stays in
hamstas_paradise
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by hamstas_paradise »

Sometimes I hanker for Rashford rather than Sterling, but Sterling did a good job yesterday. He and Lingard kept Sweden pushed back in the the last 15 mins, as Kane dropped a bit deeper. Against Columbia the whole team went too deep in the final 15.

And fair play to Lingard he covered almost a mile more (about 7.5) than the other players (mostly around 6.5).
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

He is a fundamentally flawed footballer, how he scored 20 goals for City I'll never know, truthfully I think he is absolute dog, yeah he has pace but so do many others players and they can't have worse decision making or look like they're going to trip over themselves. I just don't get what he is

But you don't change a winning team for me and he stays in

On the Rashford shouts, he is just as frustrating as Sterling at times, still very raw, exciting yeah without a doubt but check Manchester United's fans on him, don;t think he is a starting player, not for a year or two and coming off the bench suits him
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

I thought he had a good game yesterday but I worry that his lack of finishing ability will eventually bite us on the arse.He should have had at least two yesterday.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

If you look at his goals for Man City from last year there are a couple of good goals, a load from inside the 6 yard box (usually a square pass finds him at the back post with an open goal), a few deflected poor shots and some nice first time finishes. He does seem to dither a bit more for England but only fractionally.

THE STATS BEHIND STERLING'S IMPROVEMENT
Much of that is down to timing of his runs. Sterling has a knack of being in the right place at the right time and it's paying dividends.
So even on the Man City website they know his goal scoring improvement isn't cos he's improved his finishing it's because he's arriving late at the back post with an open goal to aim at. He's had one chance like that for England this World Cup iirc. There's even a goal he scored in a one on one where he hits it straight at the keeper like yesterday, but the ball bobbles through the keepers legs and he puts it into the empty net,

So for Sterling to score we are probably going to have to get him arriving late near the centre/back post inside the six yard box and find him with a cut back/square pass thereby reducing the difficulty of finding the net, that's what Pep has done.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

A lot of utter tripe has been said about his inclusion in the side, yet for me he has been one of the key reasons why our Team has done so well. I'm one of the first to acknowledge his finishing for England has gone to absolute **** which has become a real mental block more than anything for him. However, what some fans fail to appreciate, is not what he directly does for the side, but what effect he actually has on the opposition regardless of his ability in front of goal in an England shirt. The way I look at it, is how the opposition must feel to know a player with his pace and energy to burn who can't assume he won't necessarily score or assist against them, is a constant out ball for our Team. To always know they have to be fully aware of him in the final third must drive defences barmy, especially when you couple him with the likes of Kane with supporting roles from Lingaard and Alli ghosting in also. He's something very different in the side. It puts their defences a lot of the time on the back foot which creates so much space for others to exploit. He stretches defences when they're desperate to get out of their own half and we've kept a lot of possession keeping the pressure on because of the likes of Sterling playing. He's also a team player who nits the play well between the midfield and attack. And once we've worn Sterling into the ground, the opposition then have to contemplate the likes of Rashford/Vardy coming off the bench to keep up the intensity and players usually very clinical in front of goal who don't need an invitation to score coming on fresh as a daisy.

So I for one have little issue with Sterling starting even if I'd preferably like to see him be clinical in front of goal and happy for him to keep knocking at the door when eventually 1 goes in or because he's made space for others to do just that anyway, as I care not a big who scored as long as we do and we have done.

He's played every game, we are comfortably in a Semi final and he's been a big part of that success.
Last edited by Colours never run on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:If you do loads of other things like our old mate Hesky did, it's forgivable..a bit...

but what else did he do ?? Honest ?????
A constant thorn in the opposition's side, creates stupid amounts of space for others when opposition try to close him down, nits play well and decision making generally of a high quality. And he does it time and time again at high intensity. Now imagine being 1 of the opposition defenders/midfielders trying to deal with him whilst having to also think about Kane, Alli, Lingaard, or Trippier and Young flying down the wings..

As weird as it sounds considering how high up the pitch he is, he's not in the side to be relied upon for scoring the goals but he is in the side when it comes to team play and keeping defences on their toes non-stop. I'd hate to face his constant pace and energy before I even contemplated those around him. And I can see why Southgate puts a lot of faith in him as he trusts him to do what's asked if him even if his shootings suffering a lot still. Eventually even that will change..
Colours never run

IronworksDave wrote:As a defender you would not want to play against Sterling (they all say that) it's because half the time even he has no idea what he's going to do next ... that 'individualism' upset a very disciplined Swedish defence, should the dozy **** score more goals? of course he should, but as long as his teammates keep knocking them in it's not that big an issue .....

Can't see anyway this winning side gets changed if there are no injuries ..... Sterling stays in
This chap gets it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

CNR

Respect your opinion, but because we don't agree, (quite a few of us) doesn't mean we don't "get int."

His decision making at the best of times is average, and at worst is blood awful.

In my opinion..doesn't mean that you don't "get it."

Most of us who don't think his inclusion is warranted now, say and have all agreed (almost to a fault) that if Southgate picks him, he will get our support. However, we can disagree without being put down mate.

You're better than that.

Just agree to disagree.................he's missed two absolute sitter. TWO. One in a game that didn't really matter, and one at a stage where it really might have done, but ultimately didn't. His end product is appalling. And if his running around confuses defenders to the nth degree, they ain't very good defenders.

Again all this is my opinion.

You're entitled to yours and I and others, are entitled to ours.

We all be supporting the team. I have said before that if he doesn't produce and we lose, Southgate will have to face the music. If he doesn't and we win...who will really care......
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I think he's been average. Little flashes of what he can do but nothing substantial. Bit like how John Barnes used to play for England, or Andy Cole.

His job in the team is too create chances and score goals. He hasn't scored in over 20 games and I don't know when his last assist was.

If he's gonna come good, then the next 5 days should be the time.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

He's a key part of the team. Take Sterling out and our attacks would become slow and predictable like the England of old. We need that pace and direct running to upset defences and create space for others.

Honestly, the amount of people who simply do not understand football and think it's akin to a game of FIFA on the playstation because he missed a couple of "easy" chances - completely ignoring the excellent play getting himself into that position to start with - is irritating.

Sterling's first touch from that ball over the top from Henderson to set up the one on one was sublime.
Last edited by sendô on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Colours never run & Sendo :thup:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Quite simply put, do you think England should suddenly change their style of play at this stage of the tournament?

If you don’t, then Sterling must start.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

We do not have any player that runs in behind the defence like he does playing on the shoulder of the last defender and also has the ability to drop deep and start attacks. An absolute nightmare for any defence to play against. His finishing needs to be better, absolutely, but he is key to the way we have been playing and there is no way he is getting dropped.

I want to see Rashford getting some more game time but I don't have him starting ahead of Sterling.

By no means does this offer an argument that he is good, but if Pep plays him week in week out and he bangs 20 goals for one of the best league sides the country has seen for at least a couple of decades, he is not "dog" as someone on this thread has described him.

I think I have already spoken about this on this forum, possibly even this thread, but anyway......He got crucified for his one-on-one miss versus Sweden; go and re-watch it and please please let me know if you still think it was poor play from him. A very intelligent run which left their defence for dead, a great first touch but the most competent part of that move was their keeper, who rushed out and got a solid hand to the ball as Sterling was rounding him, which was a true world class piece of goal keeping. He didn't even get any plaudits for that as everyone was on Sterling's back. Sterling should have played Kane in once forced out wide and for that he deserves some stick, yes, but that greediness is what gets you goals as well.

Tonight just watch him, watch his movement and watch the defender who is trying to keep an eye on him and the space he opens up. He is a very good player.

Edit, just seen Sendo's post which I could've probably just quoted and put a "+1" underneath haha :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Those saying we should drop Sterling for Rashford because he missed a couple of sitters seem to forget about Rashford's sitter he missed against Belgium....
Patito

Post by Patito »

Spot on sendo and CNR
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I’d love for him to be tonight’s hero, his running and taking on and taking up defenders not just one but they double up on him for his pace, frees up space for others to expose defences, he has been key to our success, I suspect as I don’t do stats he may well have had a hand in winning most of our set pieces we have scored from , maybe not the actual reason but him creating defensive issues helped us get those set piece opportunities

The only thing he has yet to do is score the rest of his game is exactly what Sir Gareth of Southgate has asked him to do and clearly all the players respect him as well
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

I like Sterling. Very fast, very good low centre of gravity. Face on with the ball, he is one of the few England players that can actually dribble past an opponent. He keeps the opposition, constantly occupied.
However, he hasn't had much chance to do that. Most occasions this tournament, nearly every time the ball came to him, he had his back to goal & with a player right on his heels & up his back.
That touch in the box to bring the ball down in front of the Swedish gk, absolutely sublime & only a great hand from the keeper, probably saved a certain goal.
We have reached the World Cup semi-final with him playing. He can't be that bad.
What a time for him to now score some goals..
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

Needs to learn to look up. Has the pace and movement to be unbelievable but makes too many wrong decisions. Pivotal to our success though