Arsenal 3-1 West Ham Utd (25/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread (25/8)

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

The amount of people putting Masuaku at LW.. have any of you actually watched him play? His end product is woeful the majority of the time. Playing him LW would be a terrible idea.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

sutts07 wrote:Having forced Noble to play as a holding midfield for so long, people now want us to do the same with Wilshere. How has his 'tracking back' been in the opening couple of games?

Noble and Wilshere playing in front of Obiang is the sensible way to go.
Or Sanchez, but agree with your sentiment
SammyTheHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by SammyTheHammer »

sutts07 wrote:Having forced Noble to play as a holding midfield for so long, people now want us to do the same with Wilshere. How has his 'tracking back' been in the opening couple of games?

Noble and Wilshere playing in front of Obiang is the sensible way to go.
Because we don't have a better option as a holding midfielder...unfortunately. Headbanger Obiang has not exactly lit the world on fire in that position either...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Yes we do
We have Carlos Sanchez who has a 15 year professional career playing as a DM in the top leagues in Europe and major international tournaments
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Obiang/Sanchez behind Noble and Wilshere, or Sanchez behind two from Noble, Obiang and Wilshere.

Either way it would be a lot more solid than it was on Saturday.

Saying that, this is what we tried to do at Liverpool with Rice sitting behind Noble and Wilshere. Sadly they were just too strong for us so we changed the formation for our home game (nothing to say that would not have happened anyway) and a poor performance playing 442 has thrown the whole thing up in the air.

Maybe we will see something like how we finished the game against Bournemouth;

----------------- Fabianski --------------------
Zabaleta Balbunea Ogbonna Masuaku
------------------ Sanchez --------------------
---- Yarmalenko Wilshere Anderson ----
------------ Arnautovic Perez ---------------

For me we would be better off having Noble or Obiang in for Perez and padding out the middle a bit more.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

sutts07 wrote:Obiang/Sanchez behind Noble and Wilshere, or Sanchez behind two from Noble, Obiang and Wilshere.

Either way it would be a lot more solid than it was on Saturday.

Saying that, this is what we tried to do at Liverpool with Rice sitting behind Noble and Wilshere. Sadly they were just too strong for us so we changed the formation for our home game (nothing to say that would not have happened anyway) and a poor performance playing 442 has thrown the whole thing up in the air.
Not trying to dig Rice out, but the MOTD analysis showed the problem at Liverpool was that rice did not stick to his task and started roaming about all over the place. Hence his removal at half time. Watching Arsenal on TV nearly all their chances seemed to be from getting round the back of the Chelsea defence and cutting the ball back. This is the opposite of tradional Arsenal going through the middle. Not sure what you do to stop this, that's Pell's job to work out!
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1200 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

------------Rice Balbuena Diop
Fredricks------------------------------Masuaku

6-1

Don't really know who to though :wink:
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Fabianski
Zaba - Diop - Ogbonna - Cresswell
Obiang - Rice
Yarmolenko - Wilshere - Anderson
Arnie
HammerInMaryland

Post by HammerInMaryland »

I am going to go 4-3-3 on any away game to a top 6 club. looking more like a 4-1-4-1 when out of possession.

--------------------Fabianski-----------------
Fredericks--Balbuena-Diop-Cresswell
--------------------Sanchez------------------
--------------Obiang----Wilshere-----------
------Yarmalenko-------------Anderson---
--------------------Arnautovic----------------

Adrian, Ogbonna, Rice, Noble, Hernandez, Perez, Masuaku

I think Fredericks gives us more pace and honestly a better chance to score off of crosses. He has a lot to learn about playing at the PL level, but sitting on the bench is not going to help him.

Diop needs to be given a chance. Cannot do much worse than what I saw from Ogbonna on Saturday. Misplays the one on four, gives a dreadful foul away just outside the box, then it is his man that heads home the winner.

Cresswell, if fit, deserves a chance to see what he has got. Masuaku gives us more attacking style, but Cresswell places the ball better on a cross.

Sanchez seemed to be in the correct spot all the time last week. I would like to see what he can do for 90 minutes as a true DCM.

Obiang, because Noble's legs seem done.

Yarmo - if fit - should be the guy. He looks great on the ball and can exploit on the counter this week.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

HammerInMaryland wrote:Diop needs to be given a chance. Cannot do much worse than what I saw from Ogbonna on Saturday. Misplays the one on four, gives a dreadful foul away just outside the box, then it is his man that heads home the winner.
I thought Balbuena was at more fault for the first one - absolute tart of a "tackle". Wouldn't disagree with anything you've said though!
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

bobd_uk wrote: I thought Balbuena was at more fault for the first one - absolute tart of a "tackle". Wouldn't disagree with anything you've said though!
With you on that... and not just for the goal. Distribution was terrible too. Diop can't be any worse than Balbuena. Rice is better at CB than Balbuena.
Udonhammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Udonhammer »

Daily fail say noble dropped and a significanr formation change .... hmmm[url]https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/west ... l/amp//url]
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Udonhammer wrote:Daily fail say noble dropped and a significant formation change .... hmmm
Would ring true with how we finished the game on Saturday...

Zabaleta Balbunea Ogbonna Masuaku
------------------ Sanchez --------------------

Maybe even with Diop or Rice in a back five as opposed to Perez making it two up top...

------------------ Fabianski --------------------------
Zabaleta Diop Balbunea Ogbonna Masuaku
------------------- Sanchez --------------------------
---- Yarmalenko Wilshere Anderson -----------
----------------- Arnautovic --------------------------

Certainly feels like Pellegrini is still very much experimenting to find his best eleven and preferred formation.
He will have it nailed by September and we will fly up that table... just you wait and see...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I wonder for example how Rice, Fredericks and Antonio would feel if they got put back into the starting line up ?

Pure professionals and say to themselves "Well that's the game and no problem" or "WTF !! No good enough for the squad last week but back into the starting line up after a bit of a cock up at home..."

Would hope for the former, but couldn't blame them for the latter..Rice struggled but you cannot shirley think they they alone deserved to go from starting at the bin dippers to not being anywhere near the team on game day 2.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I like WH_Olympic’s team on the last page
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

I'm predicting another decent defeat here. 3-0 to Arsenal, no goals scored from open play again and another three conceded. Ouch.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Fat Sam in that link saying Nobes and Wilshere is a concern, "not the talent but the legs". Which is what basically everyone was expecting to be addressed and it hasn't, Sanches is 32, Obiang can hopefully make a difference but is hardly the physical presence we need. My concern is we've spent £100m and the spine of the team is just as weak..... if not weaker with Ginge and Kouyate going. Not saying either should have stayed but you can't gamble on the spine of the team. We've got two new CB's with no experience plus Ogbonna and no legs in midfield.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

simon hammer wrote:Play four at the back and we get hammered.

4-0 Arsenal.
Not with 3 in midfield with 2 sitting we don't
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Not with 3 in midfield with 2 sitting we don't
You also told me that there was no way a Pellegrini team would roll over before Liverpool so let's just wait and see.

I wouldn't worry too much about Saturday aside from those who have paid money to go. It's a bank holiday, I'll check the result on Sunday morning when I can't move from my bed.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

hammers92 wrote:
You also told me that there was no way a Pellegrini team would roll over before Liverpool so let's just wait and see.

I wouldn't worry too much about Saturday aside from those who have paid money to go. It's a bank holiday, I'll check the result on Sunday morning when I can't move from my bed.
Fair point, I did and can't argue with that. Clearly, I was way too hopeful and expected far more, based on nothing other than blind optimism and a change of ethos. Our performance in that match was still a surprise to me as I don't remember one of his team's bending over in that fashion. Then again, I also turned up the London Stadium last Saturday expecting us to spank Bournemouth too, but it didn't turn out that way. We might well get mullerred again this Saturday, but with 2 holding, I think at least we would make matters a bit more difficult for L' Arse