Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

"Ooops" says us Paddys.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/rba ... e-contact/

Hey Declan, check out how Grealish is doing!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2032 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:
Hey Declan, check out how Grealish is doing!
Subject of a large bid from a club in the Champions League? I’d say he was doing fine.

Grealish is English, Rice is English and they should play for England. I hope Rice chooses England and works hard at establishing himself in our team and aiming for the England team.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

If England have spoken to him then he will only go one way.

He was born in England so if he prefers to play for his country of birth who are we to stop him.

Best of luck to the lad.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

This is messed up, he's played for the Ireland first team, he should have made up his mind before agreeing to play for them, going back now is ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed. This is a dick move from Declan and, whatever happens now, this is going to bite him on the backside at some point in the future.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

He’s been capped three times by Ireland, and has captained the Under 21 team so he “should” play for who he wants to, based on his eligibility. Being born in England doesn’t mean you “should” play for them
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Jumby wrote:This is messed up, he's played for the Ireland first team, he should have made up his mind before agreeing to play for them, going back now is ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed. This is a dick move from Declan and, whatever happens now, this is going to bite him on the backside at some point in the future.
Themz is da rules Jumby :)

I wouldn't want a lad playing against his will, playing for your country should be all about pride.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

ageing hammer wrote:If England have spoken to him then he will only go one way.

He was born in England so if he prefers to play for his country of birth who are we to stop him.

Best of luck to the lad.
That would be perfectly fine, if he hadn't already played for Ireland. It should be too late now, it makes a complete mockery of International football if you can chop and change like how Rice potentially could.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

As a person, he's gone down in my estimation. How can you pull on a shirt of a country you're representing, in a senior game, and then think about playing for another country. This isn't Ryan Giggs playing for England school boys, this is Declan Rice playing, more than once, for Irelands first team and then saying "oooh, actually, I might want to play for England instead".

He's only a kid but you have to question his integrity and intelligence. It's just stupid and weird, he obviously grew up supporting a country, choose that county, and if it was England why the f**k did he agree to play for Ireland?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Kilbane’s a pr*ck, isn’t he.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Jumby wrote:That would be perfectly fine, if he hadn't already played for Ireland. It should be too late now, it makes a complete mockery of International football if you can chop and change like how Rice potentially could.
It's only because he hasn't played for them competitively.

That said, anyone who thinks he'll end up anywhere other than the England U21 side this season is wrong!
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I know, but by the time it comes to agreeing to play for the first team that should be it, no turning back.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Jumby wrote:I know, but by the time it comes to agreeing to play for the first team that should be it, no turning back.
Agreed bar some massively extenuating circumstances

Obviously down to him but I think it's wrong, he has played for Ireland at every youth level and even bleeding played three times for Ireland senior time, makes a mockery of it.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Jumby wrote:As a person, he's gone down in my estimation. How can you pull on a shirt of a country you're representing, in a senior game, and then think about playing for another country.
Why represent the country you aren't from in the first place?
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
It's a lot of players only chance at playing international(high level football) play in world cups, euro championships, play against the best in the world. Also while young it's probably a great way to travel the world and play in various countries albeit for a few days but still
il_martello_di_genovesi

fmgod wrote:
It's a lot of players only chance at playing international(high level football) play in world cups, euro championships, play against the best in the world.
It's not the point though is it. Declan Rice could keep an Irishman out of the side. Rice is English and his aim should be fulfilling his potential and representing England. If it doesn't happen, then it's one of those things...shouldn't be able to just represent another nation because of this.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

You don't have to be born in a country to be that nationality, Jeremy Goss played for Wales but was born in Cyprus. John Barnes was born in Jamaica. I get that family and heritage plays a part in you choose to play for, but once you play for the seniors there should be absolutely no way back.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Half the Scotland squad is born in English isn't it?

Matt Phillips
Oliver McBurnie
Callum Paterson
Scott McTominay
Tom Cairney - One who may regret picking Scotland if he has a good year
Jordan Archer
Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:

Deco
Pepe
Thiago Motta
Diego Costa
Cacau

Etc., etc....
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Johnny Pa(i)ntsil wrote:

Deco
Pepe
Thiago Motta
Diego Costa
Cacau

Etc., etc....
Diego Costa is a bit different it winds me up to no end, what he did, Leon Bailey is doing the same too.

What Costa and Bailley are doing is totally wrong, gaming the system, refusing callups for their "real nation", gaining citizenship and then playing for a better nation they should have link to and shouldn't be allowed to play for.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Johnny Pa(i)ntsil wrote:
Etc., etc....
I could provide a list, that wasn't answering a question though was it?

I also understand circumstances are different. Why did Rice choose Ireland in the first place if he is considering switching? Clearly, something in him wants to play for England, his own country. So why choose to play for a different one to start with?