West Ham Utd 0-0 Chelsea (23/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread (23/9)

Post by Wilko1304 »

People who don’t rate certain players often have a bit of a dim view of any minor thing and ignore the positives.

On another note, be interested to see if certain posters are still advocating that dropping Fab for Adrian is the key
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Just got back and am happier than I thought I would be when leaving home this morning.

Definite improvements in defence with Rocky and Diop seeming to grow more accustomed to each other and the Prem. Rice continues to get better as a DM, whilst Obiang is also playing better. Zabaleta was top drawers as usual and we snuffed out their attacking threat. We missed Arnie and had Antonio not had the gips in front of goal, the 3 points would have been ours - I’ve not seen a striker more in need of a goal to retire confidence than Iron Mike, in a long time. With a fit Arnie and Lanzini ack to fill the CAM role, we’ll be far more exciting to watch and will get some results.

As for the atmosphere, it took a while to get going - due to the dynamics of the bowl, it’s really hard to get everyone chanting together. Still, some good exchanges with the Blue Flag and the Soul/Shitbowl and Where Where Were You chants.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

szola wrote:A solid performance by the likes of Anderson, Masuaku, Diop and Balbuena. Just some of the players written off at some point in the season.
Written off after a handul of games? :eh:
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

Anderson not doing enough for me, still waiting for a big performance from him.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

JCA wrote:Anderson not doing enough for me, still waiting for a big performance from him.
I agree. He can produce something out of nothing, but it is normally nothing out of something
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

It's so so important we show the same effort and intensity as we've shown in our last 2 games. We'll have a decent season if we do.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Top notch performance today. Thought Rice and Noble bossed it, and Diop gets more awesome by the game.

I think we’ll regret not selling Antonio. He’s absolutely gash.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Antonio excellent today really put a shift in.
Hammers1993
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Hammers1993 »

Fabianski - Signing of the summer so far for me. He has been class in every game this season and he finally got the clean sheet he has deserved. Really impressed with him.

Anderson - I see a lot of people complaining about him but I was happy with his performance today. We were on the back foot for large parts but he was great on the ball and all these "lazy" comments that are getting thrown his way are a bit harsh I feel. He has tracked back on numerous occasions and made some crucial tackles. Probably the fee that makes people expect more, which is fair enough, but it isn't his fault he has come with that price tag. We are 6 games in & I feel like once he has settled he will be a great player for us, he clearly has huge talent.

Noble - I have said for the last couple of seasons that if we want to progress we needed to replace him in the starting 11 and move him to the bench, I do stand by that if we do want to progress, however, today I thought he was brilliant and he had a really good game, deserved that ovation he got when he came off as he did have a very good game.

Rice - 1st class as he was last weekend, easy to forget he is only 19 and putting in performances like that against a team with 5 out of 5 wins. He really was impressive.

Antonio - I never felt he had a brain but what I thought he did have was a real knack at getting his head on the ball at the back stick when playing RM, never in a million years is he a striker, would not be surprised to see him moved on in January or next summer if we have no replacements lined up in Jan. I like him as a person but if the 20 mill that was rumoured came in again, I definitely would accept.

Perez - Now if there is anyone you want to call lazy it is this fella. Barely moved when he came on and it's not like he has the excuse of adapting to the Premier League. It doesn't matter if you are against the best, putting in a shift is the minimum that should be expected, there was a passage of play where a Chelsea player had the ball in front of him and he was standing still, it took Yarmolenko to overtake him and chase the ball down off the defender, whilst Perez was still just standing still. I have no time for that personally.

Snodgrass - Complete reverse of what I said above, whilst Snodgrass isn't the best of our squad I won't for one second give this guy grief as he gives his all and puts in maximum effort. He put in a couple of great balls as well and if Yarmolenko had scored the header it would of been Snodgrass' assist that won us the game. Really impressed with Snods work rate and today in particular his overall play.

Rest of the team did well. The fact Chelsea had won 5 out of 5, so stopping them not only continuing that but also to stop them scoring is encouraging.

COYI.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

JLCABA wrote:Balbuena was superb

Why wasn’t Hazard booked for diving ?
A rhetorical question I take it? :wink:
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

rossmundo wrote:Antonio excellent today really put a shift in.
I agree thought he really worked hard.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Anderson must play centrally if we're see the best of him.

Against lesser teams let's hope MP will play a 2 in front of the defence then Anderson behind Arnie.

On the wing his passing (his best skill) can only go inside..
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

rossmundo wrote:Antonio excellent today really put a shift in.
Moxy wrote: I agree thought he really worked hard.
This clearly the way to get the best out of him. Let him run his bllcks off for an hour and then sub him. Could have got a goal today.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Another stride forward. Back 4 improving with games together, still prone to a rash moment or 2. Midfield looks the right combo of what we have in the squad. Front line will cause problems.

If we maintain the intensity we will be fine, we are too technically limited to try and coast games.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Puff Daddy wrote:
I agree with Jermaine Defoe's post match analysis, had it been Andy Carroll on the end of that cross from Robert Snodgrass, that would've been in the back of the net
I think the point that Jermaine and possibly yourself are missing is - Would Andy Carroll have been in the position to score from that Snodgrass cross ?

And for the people criticising Anderson for his performance I think you're probably forgetting that we were on the back foot for most of the match and the Brazilian would have been under orders to defend , everyone bar Antonio was behind the ball working to keep Chelsea out .

Had we lost today morale would have taken a tumble but as it is we defended magnificently something we hadn't done all season , at least we now know that Pellegrini has it in his locker .

Yes , it ended up 0-0 , yes we were on the back foot for most of the game but we created two of the clearest chances in the 90 minutes - Antonio needed to keep it low and wide of the keeper and Yarmo just had to nod it in but we're great at scoring from our seats aren't we ?

Thought Noble was magnificent , never stopped running , only Zabaleta was more magnificent , funny that the two older players put in the best performances , every one else were just brilliant .

That will have done us even more good than last week . :scarfer:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Even though we were defending more than attacking today we defended with style, especially in the first half. The only player I have any real criticism for is Perez. Achieved nothing, just ran around a bit. I was already on my feet cheering Yarmo's goal when I saw it hit the side netting. Great cross from Snodgrass, awful miss.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

A heartening performance today with a lot of positives. We look bereft of a proper striker to step in with Arnie injured. Yaramalenko should have scored with his chance, it looked a straight forward finish with the keeper rooted back on his heels.

Rice was my MOTM today - great display and maturity for a 19 year old playing at the top table. Thought our defence looked well organised although the better teams are getting at us around the sides like they did today. We needed to see a resolute display to build on the win last week and we got it.

Well done to the lads - it’s not one to be critical of any them when the doom mongers had us down for an arse kicking in this. Very good point and I thought the gaffer got it spot on today. He’s clearly getting to know where he can utilise players and in circumstances where regulars are injured.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Would have taken that point before kick off any day of the week

Heartening that it actually feels a bit like 2 points lost
e17

Post by e17 »

I thought Rice, Fabianski & Zab were are all outstanding today. & the CB pairing kept Chelsea with their 100% record to 0 goals.

But Noble was MOTM for me.
e17

Post by e17 »

SullySpecial wrote:I think we’ll regret not selling Antonio. He’s absolutely gash.
The frustrating part is he always gets in the right places at the right time

Genuinely (& worryingly) wonder if he’ll ever get another goal for us. Starting to feel like Ian Dowie circa 1997