West Ham Utd 0-0 Chelsea (23/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Moxy

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread (23/9)

Post by Moxy »

Funny old game and this is why I love football as it’s a game of opinions, I thought Fab, Xab, Rice, Antonio, Anderson, snodgrass were all excellent today, a couple were poor and made too many mistakes but overall everyone besides Pérez put in a real shift and fought hard, starting to see things click, defence looks solid and although Chelsea had a lot of the ball at times we always looked dangerous going forward, well done West Ham.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

e17 wrote:I thought Rice, Fabianski & Zab were are all outstanding today. & the CB pairing kept Chelsea with their 100% record to 0 goals.

But Noble was MOTM for me.
:thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I can't believe some people are unhappy with that performance.

We were combative, disciplined, largely solid, didn't give away a plethora of chances, and yet still looked to get forward and created more than enough chances to win. There were points in that game where we played some nice football and knocked the ball about well - Chelsea couldn't handle our counter attacks first half.

From where we were at the start of the season, the way the team appears to be improving and gelling more week on week is very encouraging.

If they can carry on the way they've been going the last couple of weeks we would well be looking a good team later in the season.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

0-0. Let that sink in for a bit. It may sound dull but it was the first time this season we kept a clean sheet and the first time Chelsea failed to score.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote:I can't believe some people are unhappy with that performance.

We were combative, disciplined, largely solid, didn't give away a plethora of chances, and yet still looked to get forward and created more than enough chances to win. There were points in that game where we played some nice football and knocked the ball about well - Chelsea couldn't handle our counter attacks first half.

From where we were at the start of the season, the way the team appears to be improving and gelling more week on week is very encouraging.

If they can carry on the way they've been going the last couple of weeks we would well be looking a good team later in the season.
100%.

If we were to pick up 4 points from the next two, that would be 8 from 8. With the fixtures we've had, and where we have had them, that would be a decent return.

The main thing today as compared to the mess at Liverpool is that we looked like a team, a well drilled unit with slight adjustments in the positions of a few players that improves them.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Sendo :thup:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

We have a coherence about us that has been missing for 2 seasons.

The manager has a definitive plan which he has stuck to despite an early blip.

His main signings - goalie, an old head and a young one at CH, a very tidy AM and a rogue RW all look to be good.

First time I’ve been excited post Boleyn.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

It’s a shame that Rudiger was injured after Antonio went off. Antonio won his 1:1’s against Luiz and I would have fancied him against Cahill. Antonio wasn’t really on anyone’s wavelength but worked hard today.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Noble dispossessed hazard which set up antonios snap shot chance. Never thought I'd say those first 3 words in the same sentence.

To be fair, Considering some say nobes has lost his legs or call him Sloble, he does manage to get his foot in and make some key interceptions (Like last week when he intercepted for yarmies 2nd). I think his overall calmness on the ball and those short bursts he does gets overlooked. Well done mark.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

rossmundo wrote:Antonio excellent today really put a shift in.
Moxy wrote: agree thought he really worked hard.
I also think he worked hard, but he really isn't a striker. His finishing is terrible. I think his days at WHU are numbered.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Went today, and I thought apart from a couple of moments we kept their chances to a minimum.
Rice MOTM for me, but Fabs and Zabs also worthy of a mention. Both key players to the squad this season.
Giroud didn't have a sniff which is a credit to our new CB pairing who both played very well.
Sky mentoned that Hazrad had an off day ? No credit given to our midfield who stiffled him throughout the game.
Zammo obviously should have scored, but a good point none the less.
Only downside, was Perez, WTF did he do ?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Sir_Trevor wrote:Re: the debate about Defoe's comments, I have to say that I would much rather we had had Carroll to come off the bench than Perez. May really have made the difference. However, it's as always a moot point, given his injury record.
There's no comparison. At present, Perez is nothing more than a Prem flop with 1 Prem goal to his name. Has so, so much to prove in English football.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

My man of the match is a three-way split between out excellent midfield trio, Obiang, Noble and Rice. Gave Chelsea no time on the ball to carve a way through the middle, so had to spread it wide, but the defensive work of Anderson and Yarmokenko picking up their attacking wide players making runs meant that our excellent defence were able to play with everything going on in front of them. Hardly one occasion when Chelsea got in behind us. The first half was one of the best , most fascinating half's I have seen for a long time, a real game of chess, with chelsea making their moves and us countering; ultimately successfully. The future looks bright under MP.

wondering why many people left 5 minutes before time? I don't have the answer, but something's clearly wrong with a section of our (new) support -
BromleyHammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by BromleyHammer »

Just wanted to say thanks to the Chicago Hammers for the warm welcome this morning, it was a pleasure to watch the game with you guys.
irongav
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irongav »

Pentonville wrote: wondering why many people left 5 minutes before time? I don't have the answer, but something's clearly wrong with a section of our (new) support -
loads of tourists and day trippers in the bml today [season ticket seats resold] so many voiceless seats
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

People talking about Antonio's finishing like he missed two absolute sitters
The first one was hardly an easy chance On his wrong foot, from a fairly difficult angle I have seen Arnie blaze quite a few of those wide.
The second one (certainly easier than the first) he turned and got the shot on target and keeper made a good save.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Pentonville wrote:My man of the match is a three-way split between out excellent midfield trio, Obiang, Noble and Rice. Gave Chelsea no time on the ball to carve a way through the middle, so had to spread it wide, but the defensive work of Anderson and Yarmokenko picking up their attacking wide players making runs meant that our excellent defence were able to play with everything going on in front of them. Hardly one occasion when Chelsea got in behind us. The first half was one of the best , most fascinating half's I have seen for a long time, a real game of chess, with chelsea making their moves and us countering; ultimately successfully. The future looks bright under MP.

wondering why many people left 5 minutes before time? I don't have the answer, but something's clearly wrong with a section of our (new) support -
Many of those who leave 5 minutes early near me in east stand upper are not new supporters. they are those who went to Boleyn and have always left early, regardless of who we are playing and what the score is. I know the bloke who sits next to me comes from Colchester so that is his reason
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

Antonio worked hard. Clearly however his finishing is not on par with a Premier League striker, which is to be expected I suppose.

Perez isn't the type of player who can play alone up front.

Thought Anderson did well (some around were saying he was poor).

Overall a good result for us. Surprised neither team scored given the chances.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Sendo and JBB I whole heartedly agree.

I thought that our best performance this year. For all their possession, I can't remember a clear cut opportunity for them and yet we had two (Antonio and Yarmalenko).

I think looking at any team or individual negatives is being a bit too picky, in what was (for me) a very good team performance.

Also, thumbs up to those in both the corners near the away supporters who provided a great atmosphere.