Burnley FC 2-0 West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

jastons
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley FC v West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12)

Post by jastons »

wavey wrote:I notice Perez wasn't pointing at the name on his shirt today :lol:
He put more energy into his celebration that night than he did in his 45 minutes today.

Carroll was unlucky to get his yellow card, and he wasn't great by any stretch, but for me he did more than Arnie and Perez put together.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

brownout wrote:Those complaining about distance travelled for these two away games. Our owners chose to move to a stadium where we can't play on Boxing Day so we will have to accept two away games in a row and one may be a long trip.
Arsenal travelled to Brighton then to Liverpool, pretty similar to our distances tbh. They also played two evening games. Newcastle travelled to Liverpool then to Watford. Man City went to Leicester then to Southampton. Bournemouth went to Tottenham then to Man Utd. We weren’t the only club who had two away games, so nothing to do with the stadium. Last year we went away to Bournemouth on Boxing Day then hosted West Brom with a 6 day rest.

The fact we played against a team who had an extra day’s rest goes against us, but then Southampton have had the same issue.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

And we have had only 2 home fixtures on Boxing Day in the last 10 seasons ,but that does not fit with some peoples agenda does it.
Patito

Post by Patito »

S-H wrote: Bad day to be in the with home fans...
Spent most of the game thinking to myself at least I’m not of these cretins!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Match summary:

Burnley - very good. West Ham - awful. Ref - diabolical. Scoreline - flattered us.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

S-H wrote:Does the Burnley forum have an 'opposition veiw' if so they will have a feild day trawling through this thread, it almost has a spursesque stench to it.

We always praise oppo fans for holding their hands up and admitting the better team won, like saints fans did in the week, we can have no complaints with today's result, Burnley thoroughly deserving of the three points.

Move on to Brighton, which is never an easy game, and hope for a reaction all over the field.

Onwards and upwards.
Pretty much everyone has said we were awful and Burnley deserved to win so not sure what you're getting at? :eh:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

7 games in a month is simply too much for this squad, even if it was rotated in part.

I was expecting an away defeat in one of our last three, simply because the teams we were visiting are edging towards desperation in their need to get some points on the board.

Hopefully, we can shake our heads, dust ourselves down, etc, and come back to winning ways against Brighton. I don't want to belittle them or anything, but 4 straight defeats to this mob would be just a touch embarrassing.

Certainly not top half material!
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

Point is, you could say we were tired (which I am sure we were), that the fixture congestion meant we had 36 hours less rest then Burnley, that the Ref was rubbish, that we were missing too many players, that Pellers should have played Obiang, that he shouldn’t have played Arnie, and all that. But fact remained there was no fight. No fire. And that was the most disappointing thing I saw.

Diop and Ogbonna were bullied yet looked sheepish. Anderson was bullied and looked bemused, only hoping for the ref to take pity on his plight, Nobes did not provide mental leadership or inspiration, Arnie looked resigned, throw ins were slow, no urgency, and no one had the personality to pull us out of it. There was no anger - only resignation that they had our number. No outrage. No indignation. No “f*** you I ain’t letting you do this to us.”

This team is far too nice, too naive. We need a b*stard.

Or two.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

prophet:marginal wrote:Certainly not top half material!
Neither is losing and getting outplayed by Bournemouth & Watford at home and failing to beat the worst team in the League (Huddersfield).

Unless Sully shocks us all by showing some ambition and spending big on at least a proper central midfielder in Janaury we won't be finishing there either.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I suppose in theory Wilshere was meant to be our next level midfielder
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Goodbye Mr Wood, welcome Glen Murray. You all know what will come next!!! :wink:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ding wrote:Point is, you could say we were tired (which I am sure we were), that the fixture congestion meant we had 36 hours less rest then Burnley, that the Ref was rubbish, that we were missing too many players, that Pellers should have played Obiang, that he shouldn’t have played Arnie, and all that. But fact remained there was no fight. No fire. And that was the most disappointing thing I saw.

Diop and Ogbonna were bullied yet looked sheepish. Anderson was bullied and looked bemused, only hoping for the ref to take pity on his plight, Nobes did not provide mental leadership or inspiration, Arnie looked resigned, throw ins were slow, no urgency, and no one had the personality to pull us out of it. There was no anger - only resignation that they had our number. No outrage. No indignation. No “**** you I ain’t letting you do this to us.”

This team is far too nice, too naive. We need a b*stard.

Or two.

We are supposed to be in for that Gary Medel and he's a right b*stard, but don't know how much of a difference, if any, he would have made today. He probably would've caught the same malaise as the rest of them. As I have already stated on the match thread, I blame Noble for this performance, he is the captain, his job is to ensure the team competes on that pitch and lead by example. Did he do so? Nope
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

fmgod wrote:I suppose in theory Wilshere was meant to be our next level midfielder
He was our token brainless signing that anyone with sense knew would be a mistake apart from sadly the people at the club who decided to sign him.

Should never of signed him. Will just pick up injury after injury and we'll have to put up another 2 seasons of it until his contract runs out.

It has to be up there with giving injury prone Winston Reid a huge pay rise on and a new 5-6 year contract :P

Back on topic though Pellegrini was absolutely to blame for that result. He got the starting 11 and formation all wrong.

We should've stuck with the 3 in midfield with Obiang playing. That was a huge mistake. He sadly didn't learn his lesson from the Watford game.

Perhaps playing devil's advocate he was expecting Burnley to play the 3 at the back again like they did against Everton. But after how well we played against Southampton and especially winning why fix something that isn't broke!?

Throwing Arnie straight back in too was bonkers.

Hopefully we'll go back with the 3 in midfield against Brighton.
Last edited by funky chicken on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

fmgod wrote:I suppose in theory Wilshere was meant to be our next level midfielder
He is mate, flat out level on the treatment table :D
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

hammerleroy wrote:Goodbye Mr Wood, welcome Glen Murray. You all know what will come next!!! :wink:
Wood has scored 38% of his PL goals against West Ham. 5 in 13. :P
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Ding wrote:This team is far too nice, too naive. We need a b*stard. Or two.
Well, we've already got 3 in the boardroom..
Some say..
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

The problem today was we didn't wear our lucky yellow socks. :scarfer:
Samba

Post by Samba »

hammerleroy wrote:Goodbye Mr Wood, welcome Glen Murray. You all know what will come next!!! :wink:
The only way that Murray isn't scoring on Wednesday, is if he's dead..
Loon

Post by Loon »

I think I would have started Carroll and eased Arnie back in with half hour, changing a winning team by putting a bloke in who is clearly not match fit concerned me.

All round it was a very disappointing effort - as Burnley are not a great side. We looked tired and without any juice. Maybe the games are catching up with us but I'd like to see a lot more effort Wednesday night.

Defensively, we have got to tighten up, we need Reid back asap. They could have scored a lot more due to our poor back four. coordination. Thankfully we were saved again by the superb Fabianski. :thup:

I never rated Perez, and Wiltshire was a poor choice given his injury record.

Quite boring to have to play Brighton on the Wednesday and then the Saturday in the cup. We'll be sick of the sight of them by Saturday night.

All in all - a very disappointing day only added to by the John Major away kit. Always brings back sad memories of Euro 96 when I see grey tops - not good.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Loon wrote: Quite boring to have to play Brighton on the Wednesday and then the Saturday in the cup. We'll be sick of the sight of them by Saturday night.

All in all - a very disappointing day only added to by the John Major away kit. Always brings back sad memories of Euro 96 when I see grey tops - not good.
Brum in the cup, mate.