Burnley FC 2-0 West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: ⚽ Burnley FC v West Ham Utd: Match Thread (30/12)

Post by jaybs »

After the past few weeks what a way to come down to earth, it is a disgraceful performance! we made them look good, at least they could put passes together! do players realise the cost to away games, at ;east with Burnley it was less than an hour for me, but at half time I knew I would leave before the final whistle. Never wwant to see a performance like that again.
Barking Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

This time of year is hard enough as is it without sky making it even harder why did our game have to be 28 hours after theirs ? Not making excuses but recovery is everything and with a depleted squad we where due a stinker onwards and upwards, still has the potential to be a decent second half to the season and a good cup run and lay some foundations for next season
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

The games are coming thick and fast and the squad deficiencies are apparent. However I don't think those can be used to fully explain or pass over what happened yesterday.

True, we seemed to be up against last season's Burnley rather than this year's (I think the re-introduction of Heaton gave their fans and players a huge lift) but we were beyond woeful. For nearly an hour we were truly as bad as it gets at this level.

The inability to, time and time again, deal with a string of diagonal crosses cannot be all down to tiredness. Every time when one came in you thought they'd score. Every time. If it had been six nil after an hour none of us could have begrudged them that scoreline. Sure, they're a horrible team - the gamesmanship, time wasting, kets call it for what it is - organised, pre-planned cheating besmirches the name of a club I have always had time and respect for. But boy did they show us what team work and effort was all about yesterday.

We then flattered to deceive in the last half hour when we looked a bit better but as much as the introduction of the two subs who did make a difference I think it was also down to the amount of energy Burnley had expended in that first killer hour meaning they just couldn't keep up their incredibly sustained pressing game for any longer than they had done. It allowed the game to feel more even in its last third but by then the damage was done. They had clearly targeted that game and they wanted it umpteen times more than we did.

We most definitely didn't want it. First time I'd seen Anderson in the flesh - was looking forward to it - never get your hopes up Dave :) He was appalling. Uninterested. Slapdash. It would be wrong to single him out though - two thirds of the team were dire and displayed awful attitudes. The only ones to emerge with any credit at all imho were Fab, Cresswell, Antonio and Rice.

Last summer about half of the previous two and a half year's neglect of the squad was put right. More needs to be done in the coming months to continue the renovation because our current good players won't want to be part of days like yesterday too often.

Anyway, football aside, I enjoyed the day. We caught up with a lot of our northern hammer mates and the cricket club is a fun place for a beer or two and Turf Moor is a proper old ground.
Last edited by DaveWHU1964 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

One sleep later and I still can't get over how pony that was. Like picking 11 pissed blokes out of the stand and telling them to pretend to be an elite football team.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

It reminded me of the Wigan game from last season.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Beginning to play attractive football (tick). Inconsistent, from delightful to dreadful (tick). Losing games up north after Xmas (tick). I could have written that in the 60's and 70's. We really are back to the 'true' West Ham way!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Aceface wrote:One sleep later and I still can't get over how pony that was. Like picking 11 pissed blokes out of the stand and telling them to pretend to be an elite football team.
Just seen the two goals again. Not calling him out, but could Fab have done just a little bit better for both of them, especially the second? There was not much space between him and his near post for the ball to squeeze in. Just an observation that is all
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Definitely could have prevented the second, but hey ho, he was far from the worst performer on the day. They were the exact type of goals we conceded weekly last time Antonio was RB for any length of time.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Agree Puff but he also stopped it being 4 or even 5-0 by the end of the 90.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Joe Hart's best ever performance playing for the Claret & Blue.*

(possibly excepting us v Chelsea away last season)
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Aceface wrote:One sleep later and I still can't get over how pony that was. Like picking 11 pissed blokes out of the stand and telling them to pretend to be a PUB football team.
Corrected for you.

I wonder what Pellegrini told our lot to pretend to be.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Burnley had an extra days rest, were playing 2 home games in a row, we had to travel from the South Coast up to Lancashire with a bad injury crisis within a couple of days. I was surprised at how poor we were but taking those factors into account it makes more sense. I also knew for a fact that Burnley weren't going to roll over like they did against Everton. Played us off the park and deserved to win by more.

However, if someone said to you West Ham would win 5 out of 7 in December you'd have taken that. We now sit just 2 points off 7th going into the New Year, you'd also take that too, especially after the horror show in August.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Always erratic results at this time of year. Leicester beat Chelsea away and man city at home and then lose at home to Chelsea.

We were far from good but unfortunately our injury ravaged squad is always going to effect us more than others in these congested fixture periods.

We do need to get back on track by beating Brighton and then 2 wins and 2 defeats from these four games isn't bad at all

We miss Hernandez IMHO
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

I also thought the extra day rest and the rocket Burnley had from Dyche showed on the day.

We did ever so well to get 3 points against Southampton in a game many of us didn't give us a chance in. It may have looked comfortable but the score went right to the very end and the fatigue and lack of tempo showed.

I can forgive them, we can't win every game.

In terms of who we are missing from the last few - it's Balbuena for me in the way he steps in front of his man and wins the ball back for us high up the pitch with our high line. Ogbonna is out of his depth with the system MP is playing. That's one of the reasons Burnley kept getting in behind in such large spaces.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Poor old Snoddy looks worn out.

He is the sort of player who would have been given a rest at other clubs but he has had to play through and his non-stop energy and commitment has caught up with him

Hopefully he has enough energy for the Brighton game and then give him the Brum game off
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

wizzo_66 wrote: In terms of who we are missing from the last few - it's Balbuena for me in the way he steps in front of his man and wins the ball back for us high up the pitch with our high line. Ogbonna is out of his depth with the system MP is playing. That's one of the reasons Burnley kept getting in behind in such large spaces.
Agree. Balbuena may have his weaknesses, but one thing he does excel at is his reading of the game, and his anticipation. He probably intercepts more than any of our other defenders. Ogbonna may be better in the air, but his general reading of the game is much worse.
stevenmj
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by stevenmj »

I sympathise with our poor depleted footballers, after all its been a quick turnaround for myself to watch these two games in such a short period of time and my fitness is suffering. Following 17 different trains taken to watch them both, and with a combined travelling time of 20 hours, I am physically and mentally exhausted and should really be rested for the next game because of fatigue; if only our squad of supporters weren't so thinly stretched.

Mind you I don't suppose the 30 odd pints of Kronenbourg helped. Happy New Year everyone.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

Well, that was depressing.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Agree. Balbuena may have his weaknesses, but one thing he does excel at is his reading of the game, and his anticipation. He probably intercepts more than any of our other defenders. Ogbonna may be better in the air, but his general reading of the game is much worse.
One of his weaknesses is in the air, Ogbonna is generally better there.
As for balls being played behind the defence, its been going on all bloody season.
To be honest I think the way they did the Christmas fixtures this year gave some teams a distinctive advantage.
Man Utd played Huddersfield at home on the Weds, and Bournemouth at home on Sunday.
We have Saints Thursday eve away followed by a long trip to Burnley on Sunday lunch time.

Why have they done the fixtures like that this year, surely clubs fans deserve at least one home game between Christmas and new year?
Seems like an excuse, Burnley clearly played well and just ran us off the park and out passed us, even so I think the events of the last few weeks finally caught up on us.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I blame L*wro for all this and suggest we crowd source an assassin. Either that or accept that we will always lose some 'easy' games, recharge the batteries and move on. We really need to get a handle on injuries though.