West Ham Utd 2-2 Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & H/A: Match Thread (02/01)

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Crouchy = it wasn't as if those passes were to the non existent forward non movement.

they were either short or crossfield passes in the direction of Snoddy...

Stacker - just had a quick shuftie on Wiki

he only played 21 games in all of last year, think he is about that now which may underline your suggestion he's cream crackered...
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Yet another **** performance from the officials at the LS, it’s the shittest recurring joke

Less said about the football the better
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Crouchy = it wasn't as if those passes were to the non existent forward non movement.

they were either short or crossfield passes in the direction of Snoddy...

Stacker - just had a quick shuftie on Wiki

he only played 21 games in all of last year, think he is about that now which may underline your suggestion he's cream crackered...
Not disagreeing that he had a poor first half, but he had to often resort to long cross-field passes has he had nowhere else to go

He livened up a lot second half IMHO, and was tracking back and winning the game deep into the game

i was amazed he didn't score though with that chance he had early second half, as that is the sort of chance he usually gobbles up
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

We're a weird team ain't we.

It's like we should be good but there's something holding us back. A curse of some sort.
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

I think fatigue had a lot to do with today.
I can see why he started Carroll on but it goes against everything we're trying to do.
We were much better with Noble and Antonio (Yarmelenko would do a similar job but better).
Cresswell was outstanding. Zab was not remotely match-ready.
We miss the general.
I would like to see Anderson central behind Arnie. Perez is a waste of time - unfortunately.
Nasri would have helped today. We had no-one going between the lines.
Lots of work to do....
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

Seen a few players get stick but surprised not to see anyone comment on Cresswell’s performance negatively, thought he was awful and bottled a number of challenges as well as looked to get rid of the ball repeatedly ASAP. He gave at least two hospital passes to Anderson in the second half. Someone said (Soton game I think) that he was getting back to his best...can’t agree, thought today was one of his worst performances for us.

Didn’t win a single tackle, must have had close to 50% pass completion, every cross and long ball went straight to Brighton. Awful, awful.
Last edited by hammer1975 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

hammer1975 wrote:Seen a few players get stick but surprised not to see anyone comment on Cresswell’s performance negatively, thought he was awful and bottled a number of challenges as well as looked to get rid of the ball repeatedly ASAP. He gave at least two hospital passes to Anderson in the second half. Someone said (Soton game I think) that he was getting back to his best...can’t agree, thought today was one of his worst performances for us.
Agree he wasn't good today, also think he came and hugged the touchline too far up the pitch when our centre halves had the ball and wasn't an option. When he did get it often put himself in danger
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Matthew Upson slating our defending on MOTD without a hint of irony.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

crouchy

some of those were short stuff to Cresswell, Arnie, Obiang....

bit like his Soton performance imvho

rest him Saturday
Crouchend_Hammer

hammer1975 wrote:Seen a few players get stick but surprised not to see anyone comment on Cresswell’s performance negatively, thought he was awful and bottled a number of challenges as well as looked to get rid of the ball repeatedly ASAP. He gave at least two hospital passes to Anderson in the second half. Someone said (Soton game I think) that he was getting back to his best...can’t agree, thought today was one of his worst performances for us.

Didn’t win a single tackle, must have had close to 50% pass completion, every cross and long ball went straight to Brighton. Awful, awful.

I am not Cresswell's biggest fan but thought he did well recently. However, we do lose attacking impetus when he is in the team instead of Masuaku as he just does not have the same ability to carry the ball forward and link up the play
Crouchend_Hammer

sendô wrote:Matthew Upson slating our defending on MOTD without a hint of irony.
Upson was certainly not the best for us, but he is a surprisingly good pundit IMHO
His analysis of those goals was pretty spot on [albeit hardly rocket science]
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

Shadow of the player he once was in that game Crouchy. He just wanted rid of the ball. I don’t rate Masuaku as a left back but would have him back in a heartbeat after that.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Upson was certainly not the best for us, but he is a surprisingly good pundit IMHO
Oh Crouchy you silly sausage

The fella is pure w@nk
danski78
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danski78 »

Mark Noble
Graza

Post by Graza »

danski78 wrote:Mark Noble
Served up the first. Put Antonio through to create the second. We play better with him than without, though a number around me were moaning about his introduction.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Nobes passing forward and moving into midfield space changed our game.

Anderson's cross-field passing in the first half was just awful. Thought the only person making any effort going forward in the first half was Cresswell.
Crouchend_Hammer

The trouble with Obiang, Noble and to a lesser extent Snodgrass they lack consistency

Noble wasn't great against Fulham or Watford so Obiang came back in against Southampton [after a decent sub role v Fulham] and played very well

He then sat out v Burnley and Noble had another relatively poor game

Therefore it did make sense for Obiang to come back in [and most people listed that in their team selections], but he wasn't at his best tonight [although not bad IMHO]

Snodgrass is more consistent but is just shattered, as is Rice IMHO
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Brighton's goals were 1 in a hundred (especially that 2nd goal ). 5 wins and a draw from 8 is fantastic while still having 6 possible first team players out injured too. AC brings out the worse in us because he can't sprint any more so our forward momentum is non-committed. The only time we should use AC is if we have to play direct but that is not Pellegrini's style. I think Perez doesn't care anymore about playing in the PL as its obviously far too strenuous. Did you see him when they had the corner for their first goal, almost turning his back on play 10 yds from any Brighton player (what was he actually doing?). All in all , been a good few months for us and hopefully we can push on for a good cup run.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Burnley Hammer wrote:We need to go back to 4-2-3-1. The defensive midfielders are constantly looking for someone ahead and there's nobody so it predictably goes tp anderson every time. Anderson goes forward a bit and has nobody in support so he ends up attempting to pass long to the opposite side of the pitch, or backwards. In the absence of a proper attacking midfielder, I'd even play noble there for now. Just a central presence higher up the pitch. Or masuaku on the wing and anderson central. 4-4-2 is making us very predictable.
I’m probably getting boring with this now - in fact I know I am - but this 4-4-2 fetish is in danger of becoming Pellegrini’s Achilles heel.

We’re essentially giving up control of midfield so that either Carroll or Perez can play? :P
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Noble wasn't great against Fulham or Watford so Obiang came back in against Southampton [after a decent sub role v Fulham] and played very well

He then sat out v Burnley and Noble had another relatively poor game
Three man midfield against Southampton. Two against Burnley (and tonight). Big difference.