West Ham Utd 1-0 Arsenal (12/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Arsenal: match thread

Post by Sir_Trevor »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Other than their front 2, none of the other nine players that started the game for Arsenal today would get near our team.

Laters Arnie.
There's the answer then. Just need to sign Auba to replace Arnie now. Surely he woudl like to play in a team where he gets some service :D
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Vic_Watson wrote:
Crowd or tickets sold?
Why would anyone buy a ticket and not attend. Sorry, I don't get it
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

the owner downer of the day was seeing people shuffle for the exits it the 85th minute when we're 1-0 up and eight minutes away from beating the goon at home for the first time in over a decade.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Puff Daddy wrote:Why would anyone buy a ticket and not attend. Sorry, I don't get it
STHs who dont turn up. I think they're still counted.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

eastsider wrote:I think each and everyone played well today and that includes Carrol when he came on.
:crest:
This

Everyone knew what they were doing and executed brilliantly

Absolutely brilliant performance and result
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Just finished watching the whole match - we had too many people in the house for me to watch it ' live ' in comfort - Thought we matched them all over the park , could have gone in 1-0 up at half time but hey-ho the young lad made up for it .
It might not have looked like the best of games , too many stops and starts , we didn't let them play their usual game and they didn't let us play ours - the difference was Declan Rice , what a great kid he is , the antithesis of Marko Arnautovic , modest , a little on the shy side , the ultimate Boy Next Door and I'm so happy he plays for West Ham . However , whenever we beat a top team like Arsenal it's never about just one man , it's about the whole team , everyone played their part , well done , lads .

As for Marko Arnautovic , it's a shame what's going on with him , this season could have been the best since 2015/16 and it probably still will be but it could have been so much better if only Marko had asked for a transfer next summer and played his part for the whole of this season .
I'm not going to pretend I know the ins and outs of all this - is he being driven out by the owners , are they trying to cash in on one of their best assets , is his brother trying to engineer a move or engineer a pay rise ?
If it's the latter then pay him what he's worth , give him parity with the highest paid West Ham player and let's be a happy squad once more - this season could turn out to be something special , I really hope Marko Arnautovic is part of it .

Anyway , well done , West Ham , that was a superb win over one of the best teams in the Premiership .

:crest:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I don't think we "matched" them at all. We dominated them, and they had no answer for our tactics or quality.
Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson »

Some talk about Arsenal being "off" their game. Fact is we didn't give them the time/space to be "on" it.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Really enjoyable game

As someone who gave Cresswell a hard time recently - thought he played very well today

Oh, and - can DL please start the next match thread :wink:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Vic_Watson wrote:Some talk about Arsenal being "off" their game. Fact is we didn't give them the time/space to be "on" it.
Who ever did the scouting job on them did it to perfection, we pressed ultra high, at times we had 5 or 6 players in their half when we didn't have the ball, forcing them to make mistakes or go long and lose the ball.
SussexExile

Post by SussexExile »

Don’t ever remember us being that comfortable against them. Perfect balance of tactical awareness, guile and work rate. Rice really is unbelievable. Mark of how consistent he’s been, he misplaced a pass early in the game and I struggled to think of any other time he’d done it this season. He’s immense, for his age it’s incredible, plays with the awareness of someone 10 years older. Hats off to Snodders and Carroll when they came on. There was a 5 min spell when they pressed and terrorised their back 4, didn’t give them a second to dwell on the ball. From first whistle to last was a pleasure to watch. Very happy Hammer tonight.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

hammer1975 wrote: Oh, and - can DL please start the next match thread :wink:
Look no further than below this one 8-)

http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Why did we win today? Because we have the best manager in my lifetime (29 years young) and he knows exactly what he is doing. Absolute class act.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Post-match press conference: Manuel Pellegrini v Arsenal [audio]
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133177
Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson »

2nd on MotD tonight. :thup:
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

About six players who could claim to be motm. Most tellingly it wasn't Fabianski...

My sympathies to three STHs who stand near me but overstayed at half-time and missed Declan's first goal for us.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Glad to say Arsenal are nowhere near as good as in Wenger's time. Long may it continue.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

hammerleroy wrote:Don't know if anyone has complimented Zabaleta yet but what a pro he is. Up and down the pitch, works his socks off. We'd be in ***** street without him I know that. Just my opinion of course.
The guy is an absolute gem and just doesnt stop. Man City fans said his legs had gone.....What was he like when he had them? :D
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Wouldn’t have many of their players in our team. Possibly three at most? Still, absolutely delighted with that win today.

Irons!
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Little boy about 6 to dad today "Who is the no.5?". Dad answers "Zabaleta". Little boy replies "I really like him, he tries very hard doesn't he?"