West Ham Utd 1-0 Arsenal (12/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Arsenal: match thread

Post by sendô »

It was nice to see MOTD actually call a game how it was - West Ham were good and deserved the win. No real focus on Arsenal not being great. :thup:
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Bar Lacazette and Aubamayeng, is their squad that much better than ours?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

sendô wrote:It was nice to see MOTD actually call a game how it was - West Ham were good and deserved the win. No real focus on Arsenal not being great. :thup:
They’d got this weekends scouse gobblethon over beforehand I’m guessing
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

johnnyb wrote:Little boy about 6 to dad today "Who is the no.5?". Dad answers "Zabaleta". Little boy replies "I really like him, he tries very hard doesn't he?"
As honest as the day is long , a top professional - well done to the little lad for noticing . :thup:
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

TommyHammer wrote:Bar Lacazette and Aubamayeng, is their squad that much better than ours?
on todays showing , our first XI beats theirs , to be honest we played better earlier in the season , we just didnt take our chances . Emery definately made an error not playing torreira and ramsey imo
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Iwobi is pony, genuinely wouldn't want him here, Guendozi is about two years off starting. Why both play is baffling and Maitland Niles playing out of position at RB is another strange one
Patito

Post by Patito »

Ffs Iwobi is not “pony” get a grip
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

johnnyb wrote:Little boy about 6 to dad today "Who is the no.5?". Dad answers "Zabaleta". Little boy replies "I really like him, he tries very hard doesn't he?"
:thup:
Children are so unencumbered by bulls**t, aren't they?
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Patito wrote:Ffs Iwobi is not “pony” get a grip
He wouldn't start here Nasri, Lanzini, Andersen, Yarna all better than him and on paper Antonio is probably more productive...the stats indicate he is no where near Arsenal level, he just isn't good enough for a top ten side. He is 22 not 18, he's just not good enough and players like him starting are the reason Arsenal are dropping and dropping in recent years, it's blunt but true. Iwobi's main plaudits are for working hard, to be a top ten winger you've got to have far more than that in your locker, 9 times out of ten he has no end product symptomatic of Arsenal these days.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I had to laugh after we'd had the usual 'you're not west ham anymore', someone on the arsenal side sliced the ball into touch. 'You're not arsenal anymore' came the chant, pointing out how different this team is to arsenal of the past. Great performance, special mention to our new LB who looks just like cresswell, but plays like a proper LB.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I’ve played against the geezer he ain’t “pony”.
You slate every single professional footballer as “pony”, “****”, “crap” except Granit Xhaka yet I bet you were picked last at PE.

Please tell me what your mate Xhaka did today? Or did he get hooked at half time....
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Of course he isn't pony jesus, but he is pony for a top ten prem club, I'm using hyperbole, I genuinely wouldn't want him here, I hope we have aspirations above the likes of him. I praise tons of players look at the transfer thread and match threads, I like actual football footballers. Today was probably my dream West Ham line up(add in Lanzini/Yarna), going forward we had utter class like Nasri, Arnie, Andersen, actual real class footballers who are levels above, Antonio added the pace and power to it. I just want our club to do as well as possible and you only do that by signing the best respective players that we can get and not pace merchants like Iwobi who has no real quality or end product to his game.

He didn't do much but found it bizarre he went off, should've been Torreria and Xhaka in the middle from the start but then we nullified and outplayed Arsenal so well today we made the likes of Lacazette and Aubemyang look nothing
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Emery got it completely wrong too. The 3 at the back was a weird choice and his two best midfielders only came on as subs. They didn’t get to grips with the game till Ramsey came on and started to actually try Male something happen for the strikers. Otherwise seemed to be a tactic of gope Lacazette and Aubameyang save our skins alone.

Iwobi frustrates me endlessly and isn’t good enough for what they are meant to be. I’d take all five of our defenders (throwing in Balbuena as number 5) over theirs, although Bellerin can be very good. Take Fab over both their keepers too.

We bullied them and outclassed them, they were lucky to be in the game as we retreated to counter and protect
Patito

Post by Patito »

fmgod wrote:Of course he isn't pony jesus,

Then why ****ing say it? Moron

Ps. Go on, tell us how well Xhaka played today :lol:
Tarte Encore
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Tarte Encore »

Can I just say, as well as possessing the ability to carry out glove adjustment whilst gliding upfield at full tilt in full control the ball, Felipe put in a hell of shift on the left going both ways. Pressing, harrying and regaining possession. Cresswell's resurgence has been hastened, in no small part, to having this man in front of him. Definitely not afraid to get his mittens dirty. Well played Mr. Anderson.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

fmgod wrote: Today was probably my dream West Ham line up(add in Lanzini/Yarna)
Which two would you drop from todays team to fit Lanzini and Yarn in?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hammers92 wrote:Strange performance from Arsenal today. Some uniquely average players stealing a living for them.
They're a club with a whole load of problems, and rather than the change of manager sorting them out, it's simply exposed their issues further.

Their best two players, Ramsey and Ozil barely feature under their new manager for what are clearly contractual issues, their CEO has departed for Italy and their American owner says nothing to anybody ever.

They've recruited poorly in terms of characters and lack players who have the desire to roll their sleeves up and work hard when the chips are down.

Arsenal are a club in serious decline, and are in danger ( as far as they are concerned) of becoming the London Everton .

Good.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

southbrishammer wrote:Based solely on MOTD highlights, Nasri looks like a fantastic signing. When he got the ball 20 yards out and just waited for Anderson to arrive, he looked so cool and calm, which hopefully will spread across the team.
If Anderson's shot had gone in it would have been Goal of the Season on MotD :scarfer:

Anybody got a link to the whole game?
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Patito wrote:Ffs Iwobi is not “pony” get a grip
He wouldn’t get in our starting 11
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

a great team performance. we looked a balanced team for once.
Anderson put a good shift in and came back to cover more than usual.
cresswell was like the old cresswell. great news and what we have been missing.
diop was a monster
ogbonna was good
zab was zab !
rice was MOTM easily. great that he has signed. the new Mr West Ham.
nasri had a good debut and linked up well
Antonio put a shift in and was dangerous with his runs. finishing still pony though
arnie wAS OK AND INVOLVED BUT LOOKS LIKE HE IS OFF.
Carroll did well when on as a sub but cannot start a match
snoddy gave us some energy when he came on and kept the pressure on the gooners.

well played west ham. you surprised me in a great way !