Rugby union 2018/19

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Re: Rugby union 2018/19

Post by Loftyhammer »

So bloody annoyed at that yesterday. Agree with most of the above comments.....winning so easily vs France did ud no favours at all. Did they really think they could just repeat the kicking tactics against a quality back 3 and expect the win? Certainly felt like it and when that patently wasn’t working we did a very English thing and just kept repeating the same thing! We’ve got such good ball carriers and pace in that side....we just completely forgot to play rugby in the second half and handed them the game.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

England also often can’t match the cup final mentality that the other home nations bring to our games.

It’s a wake up call pre World Cup and will hurts a lot. If it prompts the coaches and players to keep working on things then good can come out of it. Also, the Irish will most likely have something to play for come the final day making things very interesting indeed so alls. It lost.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Slacking student wrote:quote="DasNutNock"]They deserved that, fair play. Still c***s, obviously.[/quote

I am gutted

:lol:
The Old Man of Storr

[quote="jacko"I didn't even think Wales were that good. [/quote]

You only have to be good enough .
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

There's no doubting that Wales have been incredibly lucky so far this tournament, with France and England both gifting them wins, in conjunction with a performance against Italy that was only marginally less poor than their opposition.

That said, there's not much to suggest that Ireland or Scotland are going to step things up and give them much of a game, so it seems to me that another Wales Slam is all but assured, albeit one unlikely to go down in the annals of history.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Ireland win today against Italy and beat France at home in 2 weeks and they could win it by beating Wales in Cardiff on the last day.

I fully expect Scotland to roll over to Wales however in order to save themselves for their cup final on the last day.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

A pretty unconvincing win by Ireland. Italy more or less matched them in all departments and can justifiably feel a little hard done by when they look at the scoreboard.

A big contrast to the England game though, the ball being advanced by hand rather than boot :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

DasNutNock wrote:There's no doubting that Wales have been incredibly lucky so far this tournament, with France and England both gifting them wins, in conjunction with a performance against Italy that was only marginally less poor than their opposition.

And there was me thinking Wales gifted you lot a silly try from that ruck when somehow the ball shot out of the Welsh player's arm straight to England , I had to watch the replay to see if the ball had been knocked out of his grasp but no it slipped straight out like soap in a bath .
And as for being ' incredibly lucky ' I think you're forgetting it's a game of two halves and after the introduction of Dan Biggar we looked more composed and self assured .

This was the game both teams needed to win but with two games to go there are still three Countries left in it . Thought France looked good against Scotland and Italy were unlucky with some bad refereeing decisions , some of their rugby was good to see .
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Eh? That ball was knocked out by Courtney Lawes. How he got in a position where he was able to get his hands on it is anyone’s guess, but it wasn’t a drop. If England had shown any composure in the second half, they could (and should) have won. But they went completely to sh*t and they got a deserved hiding for it.

Biggar was much more composed than Farrell. So was my 18 month old daughter by that stage of the game.

If Wales win a slam (and I think it will) it’ll be the lowest quality in 6N history.
The Old Man of Storr

DasNutNock wrote:Eh? That ball was knocked out by Courtney Lawes. How he got in a position where he was able to get his hands on it is anyone’s guess, but it wasn’t a drop. If England had shown any composure in the second half, they could (and should) have won. But they went completely to sh*t and they got a deserved hiding for it.

Biggar was much more composed than Farrell. So was my 18 month old daughter by that stage of the game.

If Wales win a slam (and I think it will) it’ll be the lowest quality in 6N history.
Ah , so he did get a hand to it , I thought he must have - my eyes are definitely in need of some new glasses ! :)

I agree the games haven't been of a great standard but every country contributes to this low standard , Wales are just the best of a poor bunch -

We're saving ourselves for the World Cup - how many games is that we've gone unbeaten now , I can only count to 10 - but , yeah , Wales were very lucky ........
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Wales have peaked too soon unfortunately.
The Old Man of Storr

jacko wrote:Wales have peaked too soon unfortunately.

Hmmm , 12 Test Wins creating a record , you could well be right .

Better than losing 12 on the trot I guess .

Don't think we've got it in us to win a World Cup though , out of the 6 Nations I see France doing well , saw glimpses of good stuff against Scotland on Saturday and I think they'll improve .
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Nothing much to add that hasn't already been said. We had no plan B. The Welsh sussed us out and showed just how reliant we are on Farrell. He had a poor game (both as a player and a captain) and we came unstuck.
Fair play to the Welsh: Biggar's entre into the fray guaranteed them a win and in Alun Wyn Jones, they have a mighty warrior and a Great captain. Not losing will take you a long way....
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Toulouse_Iron wrote:Nothing much to add that hasn't already been said. We had no plan B. The Welsh sussed us out and showed just how reliant we are on Farrell. He had a poor game (both as a player and a captain) and we came unstuck.
Fair play to the Welsh: Biggar's entre into the fray guaranteed them a win and in Alun Wyn Jones, they have a mighty warrior and a Great captain. Not losing will take you a long way....
I wasn't pleased with the way AWJ was refereeing the game, if I'm honest, but yes, the man's a terrific player and captain.

Can't help wonder what Cipriani or Danny Care could have done in the second half when Farrell was losing his grip.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

That 2nd half was a tough watch, I know very little about the game but we appeared to miss two of our best ball carriers, the huge young black dude & the Vinapolaooaoa brother.
The Old Man of Storr

And the Welsh Juggernaut powers on ...............
Patito

Post by Patito »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:And the Welsh Juggernaut powers on ...............
I predict a St Patrick's weekend special from Ireland :wink:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Looking at the 6N table yesterday something occurred to me.

Wales could beat Ireland, and England get a BP win vs Scollan and both finish on same points. England will probably have a superior points difference, but will the head to head put Wales on top?

In any case, something of a what if, but if England had got the losing BP vs Wales, then winning BP in all other games there could have been the scenario where Wales win all their games and thus the "grand slam", but England finish with more points and thus win the 6N title.

:eh:
Patito

Post by Patito »

I've got a feeling you get 3 extra bonus points from winning the Grand Slam, sendo. So we really need Ireland to do us a favour here.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

You're right.
Three bonus match points are awarded to a team that wins all five of their matches (known as a Grand Slam). This ensures that a Grand Slam winning team always ranks over a team who won four matches in which they also were awarded four try bonus points and were also awarded two bonus points in the match that they lost.
We really do need the paddies to both us and themselves a favour. Shame the game is in Cardiff really.

The Welsh are a little fortunate that a quirk of the fixtures is that every other year they get to play the two best teams at home. On the same year England play the two best teams away.