Manchester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (27/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City v West Ham Utd: match thread (27/02)

Post by bowltorious »

And there we have it, barely mentioned and quickly brushed under the carpet. If that was a pen against one of the big teams that cost them points it would have been replayed about 10 times. They didn't sho the close up angle that clearly shows Silva moving his leg out to the side and then going down under literally no contact. No ban for Silva either obviously. Someone from the club really needs to complain to the Premier League and send video evidence of all the dives and subsequent non bans since Lanzini's against Stoke.
bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:having seen it for the first time, it wasn't a penalty in my opinion
however, Andersen was clumsy IMHO, or, if not clumsy as such, made a bad decision
Silva wasn't really going anywhere and had Rice and Ogbonna in front of him so no need for Andersen to even get involved there
He didn't get involved, he didn't touch him. The only slight contact made was through Silva throwing his leg out, it's a disgrace and should be a ban but wont.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2691 likes
Total likes: 1787 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Referee did his job in ensuring it's still a 2 horse race for the Premiership Title .
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Just shown Josh King booked for diving at Arsenal tonight, be interesting to see if they compare the two...
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

We played well tonight. Credit to the 2 young fullbacks especially.

I’ve not seen the penalty on the box but from 200 yards away it looked soft. Lucky it wasn’t Liverpool or this place would be a meltdown.

Solid, creditable but toothless.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

To be honest I can see why the ref gave it from his view, although it was a penalty “won” rather than earnt.

Be very interesting to see how VAR treats incidents like this one (although I think we know the answer...)
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Can't comment on the penalty as not seen it, but the big teams have been getting the benefit of refereeing decisions for decades. It isn't a new thing, just now more obvious because of the replays

Liverpool won title after title in the 70s and 80s on the back of dodgy refereeing decisions at Anfield.
http://fullmatchsports.com/manchester-c ... ull-match/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

Not sure what is going on in England the last 5 to 10 years but the caliber of Referees is shockingly poor.

never a penalty and he (the official) was perfectly placed so that makes it even worse.

appalling..
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

My_Sobriquet wrote:The replay shows silva steps across Anderson deliberately to initiate contact. Much like vardy did for the whole season to help Leicester win the league
Do you think it will go to the panel for review?
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

It was a pathetic decision for the penalty. Otamendi made way more contact on Lanzini, but Manu didn’t dive, Thought Ben Johnson did well, but I’m very concerned that we had to give him a debut because Creswell has a broken toe and Masuaku is also injured. We now have Creswell, Masuaku, Balbuena, Reid,Wilshere Sanchez, Yarmolenko and Silva unavailable through injury and Arnautovic through illness.. on top of that Zabaleta, Nasri and Lanzini and now Johnson all not fit enough to play 90 minutes.that is 13 players injured/ ill, including 4 of the 5 fullbacks on the books.

Fredericks was my MOTM, he has really improved his awareness and figured out how to play with his fellow defenders. The best endorsement is that I’m am annoyed with a 1-0 away defeat to the champions with 8 players out and 3 or 4 walking wounded. The result should have been a draw. In addition to our defending, the highlight of the day was seeing 3 academy players all 20 and under holding their own against one of the best sides in Europe.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

What irony: a shocking official's decision means that Liverpool are one point ahead of City but another shocking official's decision means that Liverpool are not three points ahead of City.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Ironic maybe , but In reality fixed .
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Got home at 1.30 so happy with that even though the m6 roadworks did their best to make it later...

Mixed feelings on the game really...

Good to see Johnson having a game and did ok for a young lad. I thought we defended well and gave it a go where we could. We look a different team when Lanzini is on the ball and need him/Nazri fit for the remainder of the season.

Lucky for it to only be 1 nil. That isn't a negative cos they are in a different league to everyone else. Every player they have is confident on the ball and they are fluid in their positions. We made them use all their subs to get a result and they did start to give the ball away more and more towards the end of the game.

The team selection had more to do with the remainder of the season rather than winning at City. If we get points from the next few games it was worthwhile.

Had a lot worse feelings from leaving that ground in the past.

Great away support aswell.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Still can't understand how people don't think football is corrupt, it is corrupt and steroid/drug ridden like every sport and life.

Gutting we put in a really good performance, even missing some players and only lost to a massive dive. Both full backs done well, Lanzini getting more game time, I mean we even had Carroll play 90 minutes :D
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

Why was the top tier in the away end so empty? Did the away tickets not sell out?
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I hope all these "big" teams f*** off and form a super league.

The officials don't even try to hide their bias any more, all those brown envelopes from Sky for following their script, makes sure of that.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

bowltorious wrote:And there we have it, barely mentioned and quickly brushed under the carpet. If that was a pen against one of the big teams that cost them points it would have been replayed about 10 times. They didn't sho the close up angle that clearly shows Silva moving his leg out to the side and then going down under literally no contact. No ban for Silva either obviously. Someone from the club really needs to complain to the Premier League and send video evidence of all the dives and subsequent non bans since Lanzini's against Stoke.
I switched off after the comments about our penalty. It grates that the BBC are biased, I get it with SKY as it is their cash cow, but I pay my license fee the same as a supporter of the 'big' clubs. MOTD should be balanced and unbiased.
Last edited by Coops on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-H

Post by S-H »

The fact the media at the weekend kept harping on about Burnleys first goal against Spurs, how it was never a corner that led to the goal, tells you everything you need to know, and yet the dodgy penalty last night doesn't hardly get mentioned.

f*** the refs, f*** the media, f*** modern football.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I have accepted the bias now so don't get wound up, most of the time.

All about the big clubs innit, we are there like many others just to make the numbers up.

Only seen highlights, not a pen for me, thought we put in a good display and was delighted to see Fredericks start, I know I have banged on about him a bit but I do honestly believe there is a cracking player in there and I think we are starting to see a little of that.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Clacton-ammer wrote:I have accepted the bias now so don't get wound up, most of the time.

All about the big clubs innit, we are there like many others just to make the numbers up.

Only seen highlights, not a pen for me, thought we put in a good display and was delighted to see Fredericks start, I know I have banged on about him a bit but I do honestly believe there is a cracking player in there and I think we are starting to see a little of that.

:thup: